Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Top tearing again...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 12:37 AM
yasalexis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top tearing again...

I've had the top on my '04 replaced once for rubbing, but now the second replacement top is tearing again around the door windows. Anyone else having this problem? I'm wondering if it may be something associated with the installation that I just hadn't noticed a few months back. Thanks!

- Yas
Old 03-07-2005, 07:24 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

The material is quite stretchy. Mine is stretched so far you can see the skeleton behind it. Is that what you mean by rubbing?

I hope your's isn't the one with the curb rash in the Marina Del Rey area.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:37 PM
mwest300zx

It should not be ribbing anywhere. If it is rubbing in the exact same place as before the replacement, then there is a factory issue here. You need to have someone operate the top while you are watching closely what it is doing. Look for any areas where it appears to be making contact with something. If it is a new area than there may be a problem with the installation. You may want to bring it to an upholstery shop that does convertible tops and have them check it out for you. Once you isolate the problem bring it back to Nissan for a warranty replacement. The problem is the dealers are not really familiar with the convertibles. They are usually a hit and misss trial and error deal. That is why it may be worth a couple of bucks to have a convertible shop check it out.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:36 AM
mwest300zx

I meant "rubbing" anywhere. But, if you like ribs you could go ribbing anywhere.
Old 03-16-2005, 04:54 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

We have the same car. If you come to the Marina/Santa Monica area you can see if their's any discrepancy. I take mad lunch breaks. Mine has fit like a glove so far and I open it about 2-3 times a day.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:49 PM
yasalexis

Default Thanks for the responses

Since this is the second top that I have had replaced by the dealer...the issue seems to be different. Its definitely not from rubbing. There are small tears in the fabric around the driver side door and some leaking that occurs when the rain is heavy on the passenger side which may be coming from the seal, but doesn't seem to correlate with the top being torn anywhere. Thanks again for all of the help. I'm taking it to the local dealership next week so that they can take a look at least at the leak. The cosmetic tearing on the driver side they didn't seem overly concerned about, but I want it fixed before my warranty is up and since the tear surfaced recently, I definitely want it fixed. Since its not tearing all of the way through the fabric of the top, I'm not sure if they will be as concerned about fixing it. Thoughts?

Yas
Old 03-18-2005, 10:04 PM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Are you using some kind of rag top cleaner or your local car wash applying something on it?
Old 03-20-2005, 09:46 PM
yasalexis

Is there a protectant that you would recommend for the top? Thanks!

- Yas
Old 03-21-2005, 10:32 AM
RANDY350Z

I woul take it back and have them repalce it again. That is unexceptable. you paid alot of $$$ for it why should you settle for less! I wouldn't apply anything to it until you get a replacement, they may say it was caused by the application of that protectant!

I think I may just get the coupe--too many problems with the top. Not sure yet.
Old 03-21-2005, 11:51 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Originally Posted by RANDY350Z
I woul take it back and have them repalce it again. That is unexceptable. you paid alot of $$$ for it why should you settle for less! I wouldn't apply anything to it until you get a replacement, they may say it was caused by the application of that protectant!

I think I may just get the coupe--too many problems with the top. Not sure yet.
As for the cleaner, you should use only the right cleaner as the synthetic and cloth are different. There's a topic about that on 350Zfrenzy. My local car wash put Armor All and it was greasy for a long time and made the rear view mirror cloudy.

Yas you might want to bring your BF, brother,father or an intimidating looking male and talk with them about this reoccuring problem (intelligently of course).

Since they cannot pinpoint the problem maybe you need to replace the entire top because something else is causing these issues.

My top has never had a problem since the day I got it and the car is used. The only problem I have was the drink holder got stuck which is now fixed, and the clutch popping sound which I will bring in eventually. I hate not driving this car for even a day.