Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Soft top fading

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2005 | 12:22 PM
NeoZ350

Default Soft top fading

Is there something i can do (besides parking in the shade) to the top to keep the sun from fading it? I've never had a convertable before. I didnt know if there might be something out there that you could put on it or something.

Also where can i find a good car cover for the roadster?
Old 07-15-2005 | 12:51 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic
Premier Member

303 works great, make sure you get the Fabric Kit,

http://www.303products.com/main.php?infopage=kits

Last edited by zand02max; 07-15-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2005 | 12:52 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Get the OEM car cover, here,

http://performancenissanparts.com/ca...roducts_id=220

Last edited by zand02max; 07-15-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-15-2005 | 03:46 PM
Teez Zee

the top is not fabric it is vinyl
Old 07-15-2005 | 04:11 PM
Netko350Z

Vinyl protectant?

BTW i used nail polish remover to remove any wax that I got on the top by accident. Be sure to hose off the spot real good after you use the polish remover. It is the only thing that I found that worked.
Old 07-15-2005 | 07:01 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Originally Posted by **** Zee
the top is not fabric it is vinyl
really, where? Trust me the top is fabric NOT VINYL:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....ght=fabric+top

Wash with 303 Top Cleaner, then after that use 303 High Tech Fabric Guard. Make sure that the top cleaner is NOT the one for vinyl - the vinyl cleaners will erode the waterproofing stuff. The Fabric Guard does not have to be used everytime, just maybe every third or fourth wash. It enhances the waterproofing of your top.

Last edited by zand02max; 07-15-2005 at 07:28 PM.
Old 07-15-2005 | 07:50 PM
Netko350Z

No it's vinyl....My dad has a Porsche Boxster...his is a fabric top.

They are totaly different!

But I could be wrong.
Old 07-15-2005 | 09:15 PM
SeanG

The top is indeed vinyl. The top shop that replaced my top and the dealer confimed the top is vinyl. Get in your car, look up, see the top material wrapped around the center bar above your head. Look at the edge of the material. You will see the two different materials pressed together. Fabric underlayment to give the interior a nice look, and vinyl for the exterior. My Eclipse had a fabric top, and I can tell you the Z top is not even close to being fabric.

Raggtop vinyl protectant is a great product and is recommended by most vinyl top manufacturers. It will darken the color a bit and protect it from future fading.
Old 07-15-2005 | 10:28 PM
Stuff

But the Owners Manual says cloth... (section 7-2, appearance and care)

I mean, Vinyl is the stuff that they made like, 60's car seats out of right? Mine is more like a pair of jeans...
Attached Thumbnails Soft top fading-img1.jpg   Soft top fading-img2.jpg  
Old 07-16-2005 | 08:59 AM
SeanG

Yes, it does say that. It is also incorrect. The top is manufactured by a vinyl top manufacturer in Japan. When my top was ripping apart at the back seam and needed replacement. It was very clear it was not a fabric material.

If it makes you feel better to say your top is made of cloth, hey more power to ya. Even Raggtop states the top is vinyl. But the disappointing thing is, no matter how much you and I wish it were cloth, it will always remain vinyl.
Old 07-16-2005 | 10:07 AM
Zcool

Whatever the hell it's made out of it won't fade if you rarely drive with it up and always park in a garage.
Old 07-16-2005 | 12:25 PM
Stuff

Originally Posted by SeanG
Yes, it does say that. It is also incorrect. The top is manufactured by a vinyl top manufacturer in Japan. When my top was ripping apart at the back seam and needed replacement. It was very clear it was not a fabric material.

If it makes you feel better to say your top is made of cloth, hey more power to ya. Even Raggtop states the top is vinyl. But the disappointing thing is, no matter how much you and I wish it were cloth, it will always remain vinyl.
I don't give a rats *** if it's cloth or vinyl, I just want to know what to use on it...
Old 07-16-2005 | 12:29 PM
maxpowers

Oh no not the vinyl/cloth debate again.....(for the record its vinyl). Remember the top is off black to begin with so it will never look deep black unless you apply 303 or a similar product regularly.

I doubt the top will fade significantly unless its parked in the sun a lot for a number of years. I see Miata's with original vinyl tops from 10 years ago and they still look good.
Old 07-16-2005 | 03:26 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic
Premier Member

So am I using the wrong cleaner/protectant???????
Attached Thumbnails Soft top fading-imgp2322.jpg  
Old 07-16-2005 | 03:32 PM
Aloha350z

...being in the "rag" industry...I can you that you are all correct. Vinyl is a form of fabric. It just happens to be man-made versus cotton which is natural. I hope this ends the debate.
Old 07-17-2005 | 03:21 PM
SeanG

Many have used the convert top protectant for fabric, and had no ill effects. I would recommend using the vinyl protectant for those who have not already purchased the fabric one. Raggtop products are well recommended and proven in the industry.

Yes, vinyl is man made. Actually vinyl is a plastic.

Last edited by SeanG; 07-17-2005 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-18-2005 | 06:18 AM
NeoZ350

Geez i didnt expect a debate to develop. I just wanted to know what i can get to clean and protect the top.

zand02max, thanks for the link for the car cover! Thats exactly what i was looking for.

So was the concensus that the top is a "vinal fabric" ???
Old 07-26-2005 | 01:20 PM
zrdude

There was a thread here awhile back with some top expert guy explaining that the top is actually cloth which has been "fused" together with vinyl, so actually everyone is right, it is both "real cloth" and also "gen-u-ine" nagahide!

When I had a rip in my top I could clearly see the fabric "threads" in the area where the tear was. If you touch and look closely at the top you'll also see there is a fine "fuzz" on the top which is not vinyl or plastic threads, but real live cloth. Our top is actually pretty high tech and one of the best quality top materials out there... Our top would never "crack" like pure vinyl would if left sitting out in the sun for too long so I don't think you really need to protect it with anything. Just wash it with soap and water like the manual says and you should be fine.... And try not to park in the hot sun too much...
Old 07-26-2005 | 01:25 PM
milanista

Originally Posted by zrdude
There was a thread here awhile back with some top expert guy explaining that the top is actually cloth which has been "fused" together with vinyl, so actually everyone is right, it is both "real cloth" and also "gen-u-ine" nagahide!

When I had a rip in my top I could clearly see the fabric "threads" in the area where the tear was. If you touch and look closely at the top you'll also see there is a fine "fuzz" on the top which is not vinyl or plastic threads, but real live cloth. Our top is actually pretty high tech and one of the best quality top materials out there... Our top would never "crack" like pure vinyl would if left sitting out in the sun for too long so I don't think you really need to protect it with anything. Just wash it with soap and water like the manual says and you should be fine.... And try not to park in the hot sun too much...
The manual does not say to wash it with soap. In fact, DO NOT use any type of soap on your top unless it's absolutely necessary. Soap will over time eat into the treatment applied to the top to make it water-resistant. If soap must be used (to remove stains), there are other products out there made spcifically for convertible tops that will allow you to remove stains...
Old 07-26-2005 | 04:05 PM
zrdude

Originally Posted by milanista
The manual does not say to wash it with soap. In fact, DO NOT use any type of soap on your top unless it's absolutely necessary. Soap will over time eat into the treatment applied to the top to make it water-resistant. If soap must be used (to remove stains), there are other products out there made spcifically for convertible tops that will allow you to remove stains...
I was just quoting the below picture from the manual that says you can use "mild dish washing detergent" or other soap made specifically for CLOTH tops... https://my350z.com/forum/attachment....chmentid=76365

I don't understand why some people insist the manual, and hence Nissan, is wrong and that it would tell us to do something that's actually harmful to our tops. I mean, if it was a 100% pure vinyl top, they would tell us to use a vinyl cleaner/protectant instead, no?....

Quick Reply: Soft top fading