Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

RPM Gauge Froze

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 07:30 PM
butterwm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RPM Gauge Froze

I was driving the other day and my RPM gauge froze at 2,100 RPM's. I wasn't in a position where I could pull over and turn off the car to see if that fixed it. I keep driving for about 5 minutes and it started working again on it's own. It hasn't happened since but I am taking the car into the dealer in a couple weeks for routine service. Just trying to see if it's worth mentioning - has this happened to anyone else out there?
Old 09-20-2005, 08:01 PM
XV8DRVR

It's normal, it happens when the sun shines on the sensor for any prolonged period of time.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:37 PM
ssk0771

That happen to me couple of times during summer but no more.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:53 AM
MulhollandDrive

Originally Posted by XV8DRVR
It's normal, it happens when the sun shines on the sensor for any prolonged period of time.
I am not following this explanation. What sensor are we talking about? The tach itself? I have noticed this problem twice now in the last week.
Old 09-22-2005, 06:35 PM
butterwm

Well I see it's not just me that this is happening too. I might mention it to the dealer when I go in and see what they say. I am hesitant to have them tear the dash apart if it's working.
Old 09-22-2005, 07:49 PM
XV8DRVR

I don't understand the whole reason for it, do a search I know this has been talked about many times over. The bottom line is that it's normal for the Z, especially the roadster when the top is down.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:18 AM
jct

The RPM gauge is called a tachometer; tach for short.

I have also experienced the sticking tach, but only for periods of time lasting several weeks. About 18 months ago it would freeze anywhere between 2,000 and 4,000 rpm, sometimes for only seconds and sometimes for minutes at a time. This continued for several weeks and then stopped. When I took it to the dealer, they claimed ignorance of any problem (no Service Bulletin) and, naturally, it could not be replicated on the spot.

About 6 months ago it began sticking again for a period of about six weeks. This time I noticed it happened only when the sun was behind me, shining directly on the tach. In fact, if I created a shadow with my hand, the tach would return to normal and then return to stuck when exposed to direct sunlight again. When I reported it to a different dealer, the service writer looked at me as though I was crazy. But, he agreed to check it out. Checking it out amounted to three different shop personnel taking my car out and beating the snot out of it. The final report was "unable to replicate."

I, for one, do not accept instrument failure as "normal." (It may be a normal problem, but it is still a problem that needs correction.)

The good news for me is that it has not occurred in 6 months, direct sunlight or not. I hope that it is permanently cured after a "break-in" period.

I hope that your condition also fixes itself because the dealer will not be very helpful unless you can replicate this intermittent problem on the spot. Even if you can demonstrate the problem, then what? After tearing apart the instrument cluster, I would not bet that a new tach will perform better. But, it might because not every Z or Roadster has reported the problem. Good luck.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:27 PM
butterwm

That's interesting with the sunlight. I did have the top down and the sun was overhead. Trying to think of the mechanics and how they work I can't understand what the sunlight has to do with the operation or how it can affect it. I am real hesitant to let the dealer tear into it knowing others out there are having the same problem. I may just mention it and see if he has heard of it before and if not, let it go until it completly quits on me. I bought the extended warranty and it's covered for 94,000 more miles.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:57 AM
JAKE-Z

Post Tach freeze

Mine does it too if I have the top down and the sun at my back. Comes back to life when I turn, common problem don't worry.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:26 PM
PureXTZ

I just experienced this problem 3 times this week. But I have a coupe, not a roadster. I went to the service dept and they said someone else was experiencing the same thing and that some engineer from Nissan would be out to investigate hers. They also stated this problem should have been resolved in the 05 year (or at least they didn't hear about it.), which leads me to believe possibly a TSB or something might have been sent out about a bad set of tachs for prior years.

I thought the cold temperature in the morning was the cause at first, but then after driving over 20 mins on my commute, this could not be possible. Besides cold mornings to me are like 67 degrees. But mine has gotten stuck from anywhere at idle to 4000 RPMs. Just though I'd share my experience with this as well.
Old 10-14-2005, 05:31 PM
jct

Thanks for the info. Please let us know what your dealer does for you and the other person. (My tach has not misbehaved for more than 6 months now.)
Old 05-16-2006, 09:55 AM
hooman6mt

any resolution on this issue? I have an 05 roadster and this has happened a few times when the top was down.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-2006, 10:02 AM
jct

My tach has not "frozen" for quite some time. My resolution, then, is that it went away.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:25 AM
hooman6mt

Originally Posted by jct
My tach has not "frozen" for quite some time. My resolution, then, is that it went away.
that's good to know....

I wonder if you took some spot lights to the dealer if they could replicate it
Old 05-16-2006, 10:43 AM
jct

You could try it in your own garage first. I had thought about a hair dryer. I now have about 23,000 miles. I think it stopped around 16,000.
Old 05-16-2006, 11:35 AM
Ken Corsun

Originally Posted by jct
You could try it in your own garage first. I had thought about a hair dryer. I now have about 23,000 miles. I think it stopped around 16,000.
Or perhaps a strong light. Are fiber optics involved in the tach in any way? They might be affected by light.

Ken
Old 08-02-2006, 01:16 AM
jondimellow

this happened to me.... crazy
Old 08-02-2006, 03:24 AM
Barzten1

Happened to me once but never again
Old 08-02-2006, 10:27 AM
Built2shredZ

So far its never happen to me and I drive with my top down all the time and it doesnt get much more sunny then Palm Springs... Although I have a 2004 Roadster.. Maybe its just on newer cars.. <shrug>
Old 08-02-2006, 11:56 AM
XV8DRVR

I still get it and it's easily reproduceable and avoidable though. If you put your top down and drive in the opposite direction of the sun for a couple minutes it will freak out the gauge (ths sun has to be shining on the gauge directly). Put your hand over the sensor to block the sun for a minute and it will return to normal. I have a 2004 and it's always done it when in direct sunlight for any extended period of time.

Quick Reply: RPM Gauge Froze