8.33%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

ZR soft top separation problem poll

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2006, 05:23 PM
CAN0802

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FloridaBoy
So you'll be getting your THIRD top? Dayum, what year is your Z and how long did your first two tops last before showing damage?
I think if there is one thing that would make be by the BMW Z4, it's this problem with the tops... why the heck doesn't Nissan come out with a better top for 2005-2006 Z's...
Being no stranger to the convertible game, I can tell you that from looking at the top on a Z4, you will have more problems over time. With the top down, there is nothing covering the mechanical parts of the frame from the elements (no hard tonneau cover), allowing dirt and grime to get in there and build up on those parts. Over time, it will take its toll. Another thing is that the front part of the top will fade faster than the rest, giving a noticable line across it. Your choice, but I learned my lesson.
Old 03-05-2006, 03:30 PM
FloridaBoy

Originally Posted by CAN0802
Being no stranger to the convertible game, I can tell you that from looking at the top on a Z4, you will have more problems over time. With the top down, there is nothing covering the mechanical parts of the frame from the elements (no hard tonneau cover), allowing dirt and grime to get in there and build up on those parts. Over time, it will take its toll. Another thing is that the front part of the top will fade faster than the rest, giving a noticable line across it. Your choice, but I learned my lesson.
LOL, you learned what lesson, that Nissan can't deliver a decent top? I hear what you're saying on the Z4, that area is ugly and given enough time, I suppose every vehicle will have problems... but let's be realistic here; I can't seem to find a huge thread over on the BMW forum about people needing to replace three and four tops on vehicles that are only 2 or 3 years old. Nor can I find a thread about the problem of dirt and grime building up which you are suggesting. I am not an expert or even an owner (yet) but the 350Z top doesn't even have a liner, and based on my own recent side by side comparisons I would say the BMW top construction is simply better.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 03-05-2006 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-06-2006, 04:27 AM
LA_Z

LOL, you learned what lesson, that Nissan can't deliver a decent top? I hear what you're saying on the Z4, that area is ugly and given enough time, I suppose every vehicle will have problems... but let's be realistic here; I can't seem to find a huge thread over on the BMW forum about people needing to replace three and four tops on vehicles that are only 2 or 3 years old. Nor can I find a thread about the problem of dirt and grime building up which you are suggesting. I am not an expert or even an owner (yet) but the 350Z top doesn't even have a liner, and based on my own recent side by side comparisons I would say the BMW top construction is simply better.
Wow, you are Mr. Negative ... Why don't you just buy your Z4 and stick to thier boards?
Old 03-06-2006, 09:33 AM
LSRoadster

Originally Posted by ohw
... if you have 3 ZRs, yes.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:23 AM
firulice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by itshamortime
I voted on this topic a couple of months ago when my top was fine

just replaced top a week ago due to seperation on back passenger side

2004.5 nissan 350z roadster
+1 for me. I voted no problems and will now be going in asking for a top today because it has started separtaing... 2004.5 15k mi....I too wouldn't have noticed for awhile. I'm nervous to take it in because I don't know if my local dealership has done one yet.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:22 AM
maxpowers

I just got off the phone with Nissan Canada. I was concerned that once my warranty expires in 7 months, I will be left in the cold (literally) if my soft top fails again.

She told me that once the new soft top is installed, it will have its own 1 year 20,000KM warranty independent of my regular warranty. She clarified that this warranty exists despite the fact that the replacement top is under warranty (ie. there is no out of pocket expense for me).

So theoretically (at least here in Canada), the soft top will continue to be under warranty until its been on the car for a year. Given my two other failures occurred within this time frame, I feel a little better now.
Old 03-06-2006, 12:08 PM
LSRoadster

Originally Posted by maxpowers
I just got off the phone with Nissan Canada. I was concerned that once my warranty expires in 7 months, I will be left in the cold (literally) if my soft top fails again.

She told me that once the new soft top is installed, it will have its own 1 year 20,000KM warranty independent of my regular warranty. She clarified that this warranty exists despite the fact that the replacement top is under warranty (ie. there is no out of pocket expense for me).

So theoretically (at least here in Canada), the soft top will continue to be under warranty until its been on the car for a year. Given my two other failures occurred within this time frame, I feel a little better now.
Well thats good news, I have had my top up all winter long, I will be keeping a close eye for the things you guys are talking about this summer when my top starts going up and down.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:50 PM
Ken Corsun

Interesting picture. My top looks similar, but there is no separation. Time will tell...

Ken

(Sorry, I thought this was going to post immediately following the picture of the top separation.)
Old 03-08-2006, 05:46 PM
FloridaBoy

Originally Posted by LA_Z
Wow, you are Mr. Negative ... Why don't you just buy your Z4 and stick to thier boards?
Excuse me???? How am I being negative? Everyone can see you're the one doing the name calling. I haven't bashed the 350Z any more than I have the BMW's. I have tried to offer as much honest information and assistance as I could with my various posts. In fact, you're the first that has made such a personal attack, so how about reaching deep within yourself and stop being rude. And thanks for the offer to get off "your" board, but I don't have to "stick" to any board so deal with it, or I will ask the moderators to take a look at your attitude. Let's stay on topic.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 03-08-2006 at 05:56 PM.
Old 03-09-2006, 03:46 AM
stonecrd

Has anyone seen delays in getting a new top? My dealer ordered one 4 weeks ago and I have not heard back. I checked 2 weeks ago and they said they were still waiting. I am not greatly concerned since the problem is really minor and now that they have signed up to replace it they can't back down.
Old 03-09-2006, 04:38 PM
CAN0802

Well, I was one of those who looked through the Z4 boards as well, and I can tell you that if you look at them (Z4um.net or something like that) you will find that the top on the Z4 has its own unique problem, namely opening fully. While it is true that not all of them have this problem, but the same can be said of the 350Z as well.
You are right though, the 350Z does not have a liner on the top, but it does have the hard tonneau cover, which will keep the top and mechanicals clean.
Down to the nuts and bolts though, the 350Z does have more power and torque, not to mention it is less expensive to maintain. Also, if you care about this fact, the 350Z's resale value will hold up much better over time.
What I will give you on the Z4 is it has better seat heaters, and a bit more leg room if I recall, and the interior is a tad bit more friendly both to the eye and the touch.
In the end, it is your choice. I think you will enjoy either one you choose.
Old 03-09-2006, 05:14 PM
firulice

Originally Posted by stonecrd
Has anyone seen delays in getting a new top? My dealer ordered one 4 weeks ago and I have not heard back. I checked 2 weeks ago and they said they were still waiting. I am not greatly concerned since the problem is really minor and now that they have signed up to replace it they can't back down.
I ordered mine 2 days ago and they said 3-5 so I'll let you know.
Old 03-09-2006, 08:28 PM
rmnunez

Just checked, my 05 is developing the problem, time to take it to the dealer.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:21 AM
FloridaBoy

Well, I was one of those who looked through the Z4 boards as well, and I can tell you that if you look at them (Z4um.net or something like that) you will find that the top on the Z4 has its own unique problem, namely opening fully. While it is true that not all of them have this problem, but the same can be said of the 350Z as well.
You are right though, the 350Z does not have a liner on the top, but it does have the hard tonneau cover, which will keep the top and mechanicals clean. Down to the nuts and bolts though, the 350Z does have more power and torque, not to mention it is less expensive to maintain. Also, if you care about this fact, the 350Z's resale value will hold up much better over time.What I will give you on the Z4 is it has better seat heaters, and a bit more leg room if I recall, and the interior is a tad bit more friendly both to the eye and the touch.In the end, it is your choice. I think you will enjoy either one you choose.
Yes, I covered the top problems in both cars in my Feb 19 detailed review here:
https://my350z.com/forum/350z-roadster/168475-bmw-z4-vs-nissan-350z-4.html
In fact, I like the overall design of the Nissan top better and wrote that.
Unfortunately---and I think you would agree---the material of the Nissan top is problematic as proven by the pinhole thread... the fact that Nissan continues to install/replace this top with the same quality product over and over and over (I see even a 2005 has problems now) is unforgivable; I would expect this from a Dodge Caravan but not a Japanese builder. The inside of the new 2006 we inspected also showed sloppy glue peeking out from the overstressed seams. According to CR, the depreciation rate will be less/better on the Z4. I guess I'm still undecided as to which car will cause me less headaches and wasted time at the dealer, but this thread speaks volumes. I do regret you are having these problems, and love the looks of both cars.

Last edited by FloridaBoy; 03-10-2006 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-10-2006, 06:03 PM
CAN0802

Yes, I covered the top problems in both cars in my Feb 19 detailed review here:
https://my350z.com/forum/showthread.php?t=168475&page=4
In fact, I like the overall design of the Nissan top better and wrote that.
Unfortunately---and I think you would agree---the material of the Nissan top is problematic as proven by the pinhole thread... the fact that Nissan continues to install/replace this top with the same quality product over and over and over (I see even a 2005 has problems now) is unforgivable; I would expect this from a Dodge Caravan but not a Japanese builder. The inside of the new 2006 we inspected also showed sloppy glue peeking out from the overstressed seams. According to CR, the depreciation rate will be less/better on the Z4. I guess I'm still undecided as to which car will cause me less headaches and wasted time at the dealer, but this thread speaks volumes. I do regret you are having these problems, and love the looks of both cars.
Yes, I know all about the 2005 having problems, as mine is one of them. After test driving the Z4, SLK320, A4, 330ci, Vette, and a slew of others, I went for bang for the buck, and came up with the 350Z. I will admit I also wanted something to display my extrovert side as well, and something that you won't see as every other car on the road. don't get me wrong, I loved the drive in the Z4. The dealer handed the keys to me and told me to bring her back in a few hours. Let's just say I had fun.
Back on topic, I am waiting for Nissan to make the top out of real cloth, which would just about solve the issues with the top.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:45 PM
maxpowers

Yep for me it was bang for the buck too. Although I would trade my car for a C6 roadster in a second (with no cash outlay of course), I still think the ZR has a more distinguished look.

With respect to the Z4, to get the same performance characteristics you have to go with the 3.0 which costs substantially more. Not worth it IMO.

All in all I am ok with the top problem. As noted above, with each new top installed, I get a 1 year warranty. Given all of my tops have failed within 9 months, I'm confident that Nissan will solve this problem (or keep installing new tops on my car for free - at least it saves my the top of Ragtopp protectant ).

At the end of the day I think the ZR is a truly amazing car which provides me with reward and satisfaction. This problem is no worse than what I had with my BMW when the speedo and tach would quite working randomly (two gauge clusters replacement latter the problem was still there).

Yes, I know all about the 2005 having problems, as mine is one of them. After test driving the Z4, SLK320, A4, 330ci, Vette, and a slew of others, I went for bang for the buck, and came up with the 350Z. I will admit I also wanted something to display my extrovert side as well, and something that you won't see as every other car on the road. don't get me wrong, I loved the drive in the Z4. The dealer handed the keys to me and told me to bring her back in a few hours. Let's just say I had fun.
Back on topic, I am waiting for Nissan to make the top out of real cloth, which would just about solve the issues with the top.
Old 03-11-2006, 10:22 PM
firulice

Originally Posted by stonecrd

My top is at the dealer. Took three days. I think your dealer is draging their feet. My dealer is having the top installed at a place that specializes in convertibles and are giving me a loaner while it's there. I'll let eveyone know how it turns out.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:58 AM
maxpowers

Hey CAN0802,

What part number did they install? My dealer just called and said my new top has arrived with the part number 97150 CE40A.

My car finally went in today for top number 4, we will see how it turns out in a few days.

BTW, what is the record on here?
Old 03-23-2006, 03:24 PM
CAN0802

Originally Posted by maxpowers
Hey CAN0802,

What part number did they install? My dealer just called and said my new top has arrived with the part number 97150 CE40A.
I got P/N 97150-CF40B put on mine. I think you got an older version of the black top. Mine is blue.
Old 04-06-2006, 12:21 PM
firulice

Got my ZR back from nissan with the new top and it looks good. They sent it out to a top shop to get it done. It needs to stretch a little still, but looks great. If you look close on the inside you can see the adhesive used that others have mentioned before. So far so good though with the new top.

Quick Reply: ZR soft top separation problem poll