350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

350z roadster audio/video systems

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2005, 11:58 AM
wooochang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z roadster audio/video systems

Hi everyone,

I just got my roadster (enthusiast) around 2 weeks ago and am loving it. i was wondering if anyone can post pictures up of how they set up their audio/video systems. I've seen tons of pics and info of the 350z coupe, but as you guys know, the size of their trunk is quite a bit bigger than that of the roadster.

I have a basslink that I want to put into my car, but I'm not sure if it will fit in the cubby behind the driver's seat.

Also, those of you with navs, and a mounted antenna, I'd like to see where you guys mounted the antenna.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-13-2005, 12:06 PM
MHFontaine

Great question !!! I have been wondering the same thing. The radio on the enthusiast pretty much sux...Would love to see some custom audio setups in roadsters.

Marvin
Old 12-13-2005, 04:20 PM
LSRoadster

I dont want to get too carried away with my stero, all it takes is an exacto knife to get into our cars.
Old 12-13-2005, 10:12 PM
The Liu Man

Antenna mounted above the dash in the middle.

Check my sig for audio/video info. Custom work from the boys at West Coast Auto Sound in Chino Hills. Let me know if you are thinking about getting installs because I can hook you up!

Oh yeah, and get a nice alarm system if you are worried about getting broken into
Old 12-14-2005, 08:14 AM
wooochang

Thanks guys, although I was hoping for my responses. I totally agree that our cars can be broken into quite easily.

Personally, I was thinking of getting a new head unit, lcd screen to hide in the compartment above the current cd player, and putting a sub behind the chair. This way everything could be hidden if the head unit face is removeable.

To Liu Man If you dont mind me asking, how much did your system run you? I may be interested in a couple of months if you can really get me a good deal at your place in chino hills.

Thanks
Old 12-14-2005, 09:05 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wooochang
Hi everyone,

I just got my roadster (enthusiast) around 2 weeks ago and am loving it. i was wondering if anyone can post pictures up of how they set up their audio/video systems. I've seen tons of pics and info of the 350z coupe, but as you guys know, the size of their trunk is quite a bit bigger than that of the roadster.

I have a basslink that I want to put into my car, but I'm not sure if it will fit in the cubby behind the driver's seat.

Also, those of you with navs, and a mounted antenna, I'd like to see where you guys mounted the antenna.

Thanks in advance!

here you go:

Speakers are Focal, front and rear all nicely behind the stock grilles. I have a 10" JL W3v2 sub in a custom fiberglass box in the stock sub location. Very solid system.

Last edited by Speedracer; 12-14-2005 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-14-2005, 09:14 AM
wooochang

Ive seen that sony player before. What brand is it? The color (black on silver) and the design seems to go really well with the Z. Where did you get it speedracer?
Old 12-14-2005, 09:28 AM
Speedracer

Ive seen that sony player before. What brand is it? The color (black on silver) and the design seems to go really well with the Z. Where did you get it speedracer?
Head unit is the Sony WX7700MDX. It is a JDM model. Interestingly, all the graphics are still in English. It has inputs for a CD changer as well as an Auxillary input. It has phenomenal DSP capabilities. The owners manual is in Japanese but it was pretty easy to figure everything out. You will need an FM converter to convert the Japan frequency band to the US. ($16). It does match the interior of the Z perfectly. There are two places to get it that I know of:

www.audiocubes.com

www.melting-pot.com
Old 12-14-2005, 09:47 AM
LSRoadster

Speed racer, looks beautiful. Would you mind telling me what a set up like that costs?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:44 AM
Speedracer

Originally Posted by LSRoadster
I dont want to get too carried away with my stero, all it takes is an exacto knife to get into our cars.
In reality, a roadster with the top up isn't that easy to get into as you might initially think. Obviously a pro can get in, but that is true with a hardtop as well. Have you taken a good look at the cage structure of the convertible top when it is up? You'd have to be a 6-year-old to get inside.
Old 12-14-2005, 10:54 AM
LSRoadster

Originally Posted by Speedracer
In reality, a roadster with the top up isn't that easy to get into as you might initially think. Obviously a pro can get in, but that is true with a hardtop as well. Have you taken a good look at the cage structure of the convertible top when it is up? You'd have to be a 6-year-old to get inside.
Couldnt you just cut it, get your hand in there and unlock the door?
Old 12-14-2005, 10:58 AM
Speedracer

Speed racer, looks beautiful. Would you mind telling me what a set up like that costs?
Head unit=$750
CD changer $200
Focal K2P165 $900
Focal CV65 $400
JL 500/5 amp $800
JL 10W3v2 $300

wiring, cable, labor, including construction of sub box $1700, so a little over $5k total.

I built the amp mounting box and top cover for the amp myself. The cover over the amp is basically the stock spare tire cover, cut out, with two sheets of clear plexiglass with the Nismo sticker and Z logo sandwiched in between the two sheets of plexiglass. The trunk mat is then easily cut to expose the amp. Sounds amazing, even with the top down, and the DSP in the Sony really helps you customize the sound for top-up and top-down acoustics which are VERY different.

Old 12-14-2005, 10:59 AM
charlie_rdstr_Z

Couldnt you just cut it, get your hand in there and unlock the door?
Yeah you can if you have 5 ft arms. It would take more work than just smashing the glass.
Old 12-15-2005, 02:18 PM
visionboy

Old 12-15-2005, 03:36 PM
MHFontaine

^^^ That's HOT !!!
Old 12-15-2005, 06:33 PM
The Liu Man

Thanks guys, although I was hoping for my responses. I totally agree that our cars can be broken into quite easily.

Personally, I was thinking of getting a new head unit, lcd screen to hide in the compartment above the current cd player, and putting a sub behind the chair. This way everything could be hidden if the head unit face is removeable.

To Liu Man If you dont mind me asking, how much did your system run you? I may be interested in a couple of months if you can really get me a good deal at your place in chino hills.

Thanks
IIRC, I spent around $3500 ($1600 for the head unit and nav addon). Both amps mounted under the seats. Everything looks stock except for the head unit area. NAV mounted in cubby hole behind driver seat and nothing sticks out. I went for stealth Sounds amazing.
Old 12-16-2005, 01:53 PM
LSRoadster

Man, when this winter is over up here in Wisconsin I am going to be hitting you guys up for ideas, I want a setup like this, looks sweet guys, keep up the good work.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:12 AM
350ztoronto

anyone know where to get a custom fiberglass box behind the seat in the stock location? any one ever mass produced these things?! damnit i dun wanna do it myself =D
Old 12-18-2005, 09:09 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by The Liu Man

Antenna mounted above the dash in the middle.

Check my sig for audio/video info. Custom work from the boys at West Coast Auto Sound in Chino Hills. Let me know if you are thinking about getting installs because I can hook you up!

Oh yeah, and get a nice alarm system if you are worried about getting broken into

I would swap out the map pocket for the 03 version that way you can slide the cubby hole door back.
Old 12-22-2005, 08:42 PM
The Liu Man

Originally Posted by Netko350Z
I would swap out the map pocket for the 03 version that way you can slide the cubby hole door back.
I actually like the 04 version because it blocks the sun away from the LCD screen. Plus, when you are watching, it doesn't get in the way either. PLUS it's easier to close when motorcycle cops ride up :P

Quick Reply: 350z roadster audio/video systems