350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Need Help Deciding Rims and performance parts

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 02:55 AM
Cindy'sZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Deciding Rims and performance parts

Hello Everyone
I am new to the board, I am picking up my 350 ZR this weekend a Silverstone Touring.
I have gone through the search but cant seem to find what i am looking for so maybe you can help
1. How about posting pictures of your rims on your Z and let me know what size and what type of rims you have.
I am trying to decide with either sticking with the 18" or going to 19 but i am worried about the ride quality but i would like to see how they look on cars first and let me know how the ride has changed when going to 19
2. I was hoping to see dyno graphs for different performance upgrades for example, Cold air intake what type and dyno graphs to actuall see what it is doing by my experience the CAI has a tendency to loose a little torque on the low end when first taking off so i would like to just see a comparison
3. Exhaust, what type is it a Cat back exhaust or a full system with header, what kind of numbers oin the dyno did you get.
4. ECU up grade what type and what type of mods do you have on when you installed the upgrade, do you notice a difference ?
5. last but not least is Supercharger or Turbo, what are you using, how much boost on you using on stock motor and what are the dyno charts on that

I know thats a lot of info but for someone who has always modded cars ( last car was a 98 cobra with over 600 RWHP and 18 pounds of boost) and was never happy with the car because not enough info out there to make the combo's would work, for us once you start modding yuo cant stop, you keep wanting more

any help and pictures wouold be greatly appreciated
I did look at the thread with pictures of modded Roadsters but there is not alot there shot what type of rims and the size of rims and tires
Thanks in advance for any help

Houston,Tx
Cindy and james
Old 01-13-2006, 05:22 AM
fairladyinit

Any one of these will look good, plus they're light weight.

http://evolutionautosports.com/volkwheels.htm

I've got 19 by 9.5's in the front and 19 by 10.5's in the rear.

TE37 LE Black
Old 01-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Built2shredZ

Umm if 600 RWHP was not enough to make you happy before not sure why you bught the 350zr, this car is not about huge amounts of HP, its about style

To hit that kinda of HP you will need some serious mods and $$$, in short a better choice for you would of been a Viper....

Anyways here's my car

Nismo Type S Exhaust
Nismo Type S Suspension
Nismo Type R Intake
Nismo Sway Bars
Stillen Body Kit

SSR GT3 19" 3 piece Rims (27 lbs)
Front 19x9 (225/40-19) +31mm offset
Rear 19X10.5 (275/35-19) +43mm offset
Old 01-13-2006, 08:35 AM
XV8DRVR

Here is a link to pix of my car right when I put on my new wheels.

http://www.buywheelstoday.com/galler...=1707&wid=1851

They're TSW Rocket 5 wheels in 19x9 in the front and 19x10 in the rear (If I remember correctly).

Josh
Old 01-13-2006, 12:44 PM
Built2shredZ

Originally Posted by XV8DRVR

They're TSW Rocket 5 wheels in 19x9 in the front and 19x10 in the rear (If I remember correctly).

Josh
Wow, what to say.... I guess its true what they say about beauty being in the eye of the beholder

Ill give you props for at least being different
Old 01-13-2006, 08:31 PM
brianberes

I've had my Silverstone Enthusiast ZR for a little over a year now and I am just starting to research this site and others for recommendations for performance upgrades for mine. So, I can tell you in one word if you're looking for serious horsepower gains for a Z the one thing I keep reading is:

TURBO!

For the money everyone is saying that is the way to go for big horsepower gains with the Z.

By the way good choice in color for you ZR! Hey maybe I'll see you one day on I-45 or 610 loop in Houston one day.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:03 PM
xedes

Originally Posted by Built2shredZ
Wow, what to say.... I guess its true what they say about beauty being in the eye of the beholder

Ill give you props for at least being different
:

LOL..i agree!
Old 01-14-2006, 07:34 AM
XV8DRVR

Sorry you guys don't like them but they look awesome in person, the pictures don't give them any justice.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Built2shredZ

Sorry you guys don't like them but they look awesome in person, the pictures don't give them any justice.
Thats true, pictures can give a false impression some times...

Long as you like them thats all that matters.... I think what gives them a kinda of a funny look is the lip being black, in the pictures at that angle it looks like they are custom spare tires, but in person they probably look a lot better.

like I said i give you props for doing something different...
Old 01-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hello Everyone
I am new to the board, I am picking up my 350 ZR this weekend a Silverstone Touring.

Welcome and Congratulations. Visit this site often, and do some searches. All your questions will be answered

I have gone through the search but cant seem to find what i am looking for so maybe you can help

I'll try

1. How about posting pictures of your rims on your Z and let me know what size and what type of rims you have.

Look on this sub-forum at the "post pics of modified roadsters" thread

I am trying to decide with either sticking with the 18" or going to 19 but i am worried about the ride quality but i would like to see how they look on cars first and let me know how the ride has changed when going to 19

If you are staying with stock suspension, 19's will be just fine. Watch the wheel weight, however. If ride is important, and you are going to a stiffer suspension, I would advise staying with 18's. Remember that if you go to 19's and don't lower the vehicle, however, you fender gap will seem bigger due to the lower tire aspect ratio.

2. I was hoping to see dyno graphs for different performance upgrades for example, Cold air intake what type and dyno graphs to actuall see what it is doing by my experience the CAI has a tendency to loose a little torque on the low end when first taking off so i would like to just see a comparison

Intake on stock Z is great. Intake mod on this car is only a mod for the sake of a mod. No consistent dyno porven power gains to be had here.

3. Exhaust, what type is it a Cat back exhaust or a full system with header, what kind of numbers oin the dyno did you get.

There are tons out there. Crawford, Nismo, Stillen are probably the best overall. Get headers coated with some sort of thermal coating like Jet-hot. Bolts-on such as these produce limited power gains on the Z motor which is pretty highly tuned to begin with, at 86hp/liter stock.

4. ECU up grade what type and what type of mods do you have on when you installed the upgrade, do you notice a difference ?

Tecnhosquare and Altered Atmospheres can reflash your ECU based on your other mods. Otherwise, an aftermarket ECU upgrade for the Z really isn't out there unless you want to go with a self-tuned and programmed stand alone system.

5. last but not least is Supercharger or Turbo, what are you using, how much boost on you using on stock motor and what are the dyno charts on that

Many good kits out. Cream of the crop is APS for turbo, Vortech or Stillen for SC. These SC's are also CARB approved. JWT turbo is pending CARB approval before release but promises to be one of the best...but it's been a LONG wait. Look for 400-500 crank hp out of these kits. For more power that that, you will need an engine rebuild for sure

I know thats a lot of info but for someone who has always modded cars ( last car was a 98 cobra with over 600 RWHP and 18 pounds of boost) and was never happy with the car because not enough info out there to make the combo's would work, for us once you start modding yuo cant stop, you keep wanting more

modding cars is a bottomless money pit, no matter what the car is. It's all a matter of how much $$$$ you want to spend and how much hassle and reliability risk you are willing to put up with.

I did look at the thread with pictures of modded Roadsters but there is not alot there shot what type of rims and the size of rims and tires
Thanks in advance for any help

18": 18x8.5" Front with 245/40/18 tires & 18x9.5" Rear with 275/40/18 tires
19": 19x8.5 Front with 245/35/19 tires & 19x9.5 Rear with 275/35/19 tires

This size combo will keep all your traction/stability/braking computers happy. Michelin Pilot Sport are the lightest max performance tire made for the street.

ENJOY!!!!

Last edited by Speedracer; 01-14-2006 at 10:21 AM.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:26 AM
Chief F1 Fan

Josh

sorry buddy but those wheels are just wrong.

On the 18 vs. 19 issue: go w/ 19's. I was seriously concerned about ride quality becoming harsher by going up. I barely notice the difference and I live in the NE where roads are not pristine by any stretch of imagination.
Old 01-15-2006, 09:19 AM
XV8DRVR

Originally Posted by Chief F1 Fan
sorry buddy but those wheels are just wrong.

On the 18 vs. 19 issue: go w/ 19's. I was seriously concerned about ride quality becoming harsher by going up. I barely notice the difference and I live in the NE where roads are not pristine by any stretch of imagination.
Hey, just because I like something different doesn't make them wrong. Wow, such negativity over a choice of wheels. I hate to imagine what would happen if I decided to put 20" spinners or something (not that I would do that but jeez...all this over wheels???) The wheels look awesome in person. Anyone else that doesn't like them can get over it, because I LOVE them...
Old 01-15-2006, 10:40 AM
xedes

Hey, just because I like something different doesn't make them wrong. Wow, such negativity over a choice of wheels. I hate to imagine what would happen if I decided to put 20" spinners or something (not that I would do that but jeez...all this over wheels???) The wheels look awesome in person. Anyone else that doesn't like them can get over it, because I LOVE them...
The wheels are not ugly. i am so use to seeing volk wheels on every z, your car caught me off guard. BIG PROPS for being different.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:09 AM
netman_one

I chose 18" BBS Rims / S-03 tires for my SB ZR.
Went with slightly larger rim sizes (over stock) front and rear
therby upping the 225/245 spread to 245/275 with new tires.

http://www.somdwebs.com/350z/Wheels.htm

You can see more pics of how they look at the site in my sig.
Have put 5000 miles on them so far, and my ZR handles Great!
Old 01-15-2006, 05:05 PM
Cindy'sZ

Originally Posted by brianberes
I've had my Silverstone Enthusiast ZR for a little over a year now and I am just starting to research this site and others for recommendations for performance upgrades for mine. So, I can tell you in one word if you're looking for serious horsepower gains for a Z the one thing I keep reading is:

TURBO!

For the money everyone is saying that is the way to go for big horsepower gains with the Z.

By the way good choice in color for you ZR! Hey maybe I'll see you one day on I-45 or 610 loop in Houston one day.
I usually travel 249 back and forth to work!
I usuall can't even do the speed limit, too many people moving up north

Last edited by Cindy'sZ; 01-15-2006 at 05:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2006, 06:31 PM
NissanBlack350Z

Originally Posted by xedes
:

LOL..i agree!
i agree as well, someone had those on a G coupe as well