Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

body flex on roaster

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 08:38 PM
OZ_350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body flex on roaster

Hi all, Im a 350z owner from Sydney, Australia and new to the site. Just bought my 350z roaster a couple of months ago (04 model). Absolutely love the car and is fun to drive. Apart from the common problem of tyre noise i have a few other issues which I would appreciate some advice on.
I have noticed that when i go and down up my drive way which is quite steep, there are noises which seem to come from the suspension, or at least the back half of the car. The weird thing is it doesnt always happen when I am straightening up from an incline or decline and that it also happens when I am on flat ground (but generally just after I have gone up or down). I have been told this is due to flexing of the car, which is more a an issue for the roadster as it does not have the roof as added structural support.

Also, a few other things I have noticed:
- sometimes when i take off, I hear a clanky kind of noise coming from the transmission. It doesnt happen all the time though and cant really hear it in any other gear apart from first.
- on odd occassions my rear right brake 'hisses' just before I am about to turn the car off - maybe a hydrolic issue?
- I have something that loks like mist (or condensation) but I am convinced its not that on the inside of both my headlights. Its hard to see but its there. I have tried Plexis (plastic cleaner) but its definately on the inside not the outside. The headights have never been removed nor has the car ever been in a smash - I know this because the previous owner was a friend of mine. I am getting this checked out by my dealer at the moment.

If anyone could give mme a hand with any of the above that would be awesome.
Thanks guys.
Old 01-29-2006, 05:33 AM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The body of the Roadster is very stiff... not alot of flexat all...

As for the tire noise...you might have a feathering issue. Check the tread and see if there is any irregular ware.
As for the noise from the tranny...is it from the rear of the car? Might be a axle issue. OR Flywheel chatter...if it is a used model they might have put a lightweight flywheel in and those tend to chatter.
Brake noise....nothing that I heard ever. Might be you exhaust?
Headlight moisture...might be a bad seal between the headlight lense and the base.

Just take it to the dealer if it is under 36k miles

also search...

www.nissanhelp.com

Welcome to the family...sorry you have had some minor issues.

No problems here...I might have a oil consumption issue...getting checked out in a few months after it comes out of storage.

G'day!
Old 01-29-2006, 04:45 PM
ohw

I do agree that the body of the ZR is very stiff compare to most of my other street cars – non-convertibles. It is not as stiff as some of my older race cars with full cage, neither am I expecting that. On the other hand, I also have noticed the occasional body flex noise going on and off my drive way, which is very surprising. Wonder if others may notice the same? Mine is also an 04.

So far, I have not had any tire or transmission noise issue, only three other issues with the car:
1. One of the rear tire has a budge on the side wall which the dealer will replace the tire.
2. A leak on the driver side window, the dealer will replace the rubber seal.
3. A rip on the top, which we have a separate thread on the topic.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:13 PM
OZ_350z

G'day!! Thanks for the feedback guys. Much appreciated. Any recommendations on a roof cleaning product?
Old 01-29-2006, 06:31 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well the debate on if it is a "cloth" of "vinyl" roof top is still going on...
I use a mild detergent with a light brush to bring back the color.