Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

The Z Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 01:33 AM
kroams

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Soft tops are almost always slower than the coupe version. The 2000 996 Cab was I believe .2 or .4 seconds slower in 0-60 than the coupe. If you want better handling and performance (especially for the track) I would stay away from the convertible unless you want to do additional modifications to increase ridigity and put in a roll cage. If its just for cruising around and fun then a few tenths of a second in 0-60 won't matter for the thrill of cruising with no top.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:33 AM
Z Mack

Just my 2 cents...but I have no interest in the convertible. I thought the 90-96 Zs looked terrible when they had the top up. Granted, there may be some days where having the top down would be nice, but that won't be most of the time no matter where you live. IMHO, definitely not worth the extra cost and the worry of having someone cut the top, etc.

Also, I'm buying a performance sports car, not a Roadster. To me, that is another category entirely.

Plus, my girlfriend has a convertible and I don't want two in the family.

I am interested to hear others thoughts on this though.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:38 AM
mdouvris

Default Roadster

No. I think the Z will lose some of its looks with the soft top. The way that thing is curved is super cool. Hardtop all the way!
Old 07-04-2002, 01:48 AM
kroams

I agree that the roof line is one of the major attributes that makes the 350Z look so good. Without that it might look too much like a bathtub (similar to one of the photoshop pics floating around of the convertible). On the other hand if Nissan decided to offer a convertible hardtop for $40K I would find a way to buy it. However they confirmed it will be a soft-top so that rules that out.
Old 07-04-2002, 01:59 AM
kroams

well said kraZy. Personally I never cared for the Z32 as a convertible top up or down. There is just something less impressive with most cars that have a soft-top up. Now a 360 Modena with the top down is something to stare at but even a Ferrari with the top up is not as impressive (to me) as its coupe brother..
Old 07-04-2002, 02:03 AM
Alang

The added structural components of a convertable are always heavier that the materials that are removed, so right there you will see a loss of performance. Additionally, the drop top version will not be as structurally rigid and will therefore be less accurate in the turns. Again a loss in performance. Will you notice the difference in a track situation? Probably. Will you notice the difference in day to day driving? Maybe, maybe not. If you want the highest performace platform to drive/build from, don't get the convertable. If you want a drop top, it may very well be worth the wait.
Old 07-04-2002, 02:31 AM
Goober
Charter Member #57

Agree with the posts above.

Depending on how easy Nissan decides to make the top go down and up will decide how much performance you lose. The easier it is to bring the top down the more performance you will lose due to weight. I see an easy 100lbs based on the weight differences from other sports cars available in both convertible and hardtop.
Old 07-04-2002, 02:35 AM
alear

I'm waiting for the convertible and I don't really care about the .2 second loss or whatever it turns out to be. The .2 seconds doesn't do me much when I'm cruising with the top down. As for the looks, I think it will look better as a convertible, although I haven't seen a picture to really back that up. In the case of the 993 I think it looked better as a convertible anyway.

I really wish someone would hurry up with a spy photo of some kind for it.
Old 07-04-2002, 02:52 AM
mistergin

I'm in the market for a roadster around that time so this may very well be an option for me. I also like the new Z4 but I've yet to hear confirmed power/cost numbers...

This "manual" automatic. Is this like the SMT in the MR-S? It's a true manual but with no clutch. I wonder if the auto matic has this feature as well or just has a "manul" mode that gives you the opportunity to keep gear after hitting redline?

That said, I'd prefer a non-powered droptop, like the vette and the MR-S, it's a great way to save weight and though it's nice to have it powered, it really isn't hard to drop a top manually and you get such a nice weight/storage advantage w/it.

Ginnie
Old 07-04-2002, 10:07 AM
z350z
Charter Member #13

I can always feel the "cowl shake" in a convertible, where the structure wobbles around when you go over a bump. It was really bad in a Miata I had for a short period of time. I can even feel it in a Boxster. In My SLK230, I can feel it with the top down, but the car firms up with the hardtop up as it clamps down tight and becomes a structural member (that's why I like convertible hardtops, but talk about added weight...)

So no convertible for me, thanks (even though there will be a few days when it would be nice to have).