Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

2004 350Z / Roadster faster? Better?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 01:18 PM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2004 350Z / Roadster faster? Better?

I was just wondering.... Will there be improvements for 2004?

(Yes I have a vested interest since the roadster will be a 2004 model)

I have seen a few posts here (and elsewhere) about how the engine is capable of more, but was dialed back a little as a safety margin to avoid embarassment on a new model. Might they dial it back up a hair for 2004?

Will there be any other changes for 2004? It will be interesting to see.

Anybody know anything yet?
Old 02-12-2003, 03:13 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

any changes will be to the 2004, not just the roadster. but since there are no changes to the roadster, I question that there would be any real changes to any model.

engine power will likely stay the same. 99.9% sure.

and of course as VQ said, the race version will be the hard top, it always is. not to say there will be much of a difference tho. but they wouldnt increase the power in the vert and not the hard top.
Old 02-12-2003, 04:17 PM
3rdpower

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heavy = slower
no top = big hole = not better in a twisty
Old 02-12-2003, 05:39 PM
Nickademus1117

Im wondering about PRICE ??????????
Anyone know?
Old 02-12-2003, 08:03 PM
nosuchsol

Originally posted by 3rdpower
heavy = slower
no top = big hole = not better in a twisty
haha... good way of putting it. They were able to keep the Z32 vert quite rigid even after losing the top. They're getting better at bracing - maybe more innovative.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:09 PM
jasonintoronto

if that french video was right about europe getting an upgraded interior, i hope they put it in our 2004 version. (although i have my doubts as to the validity of that rumor).
Old 02-12-2003, 09:20 PM
ares
Veteran

Originally posted by nosuchsol
haha... good way of putting it. They were able to keep the Z32 vert quite rigid even after losing the top. They're getting better at bracing - maybe more innovative.
really??? as I remember it the old convertable was just a hard top that underwent a top chop AT THE DEALER! they were sposed to leak like hell.

hmmm was that source mistaken? dont even remember where I heard that now.

if it was right, I dont see how they didnt lose alot of strength.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:01 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

IMO a convertible sportscar is an oxymoron

Like saying somebody's a fat, skinny person... I think a targa removable top would look much nicer and not take the sports out of the sportscar.

I was never one to like convertibles, noisy and heavy. I remember my friend got into an accident and he opted for a convertible for a rental for the weekend and we got V6 Mustang Conv Auto (not trying to compare it in anyway to a sports car BTW). We yanked out the old stopwatch (to see just how slow it really was)and did a torque drop 0-60 run.. It did it just under 12 seconds.. Becides the fun in the sun and the wind in your hair factor the car was a POS.

But I did once rent a Audi TT Conv for a weekend, It was a fun little car but wouldn't want to own one. Just my 2 cents...
Old 02-13-2003, 12:04 PM
Chris S

Daytona Blue Z in Bo,

My so-called "heavy" convertible has about a 400 lb. weight advantage on the Z and is stiffer than most closed roof cars....go figure.

As for a convertible sportscar being an oxymoron, mine’s powertrain and chassis was designed solely for it’s application in a kickass, hand-built sportscar. Where was your supposedly “pure” sportscar derived from…a Pathfinder engine and sedan chassis? Not trying to knock the 350Z (I really do love them), but your opinions on convertibles are highly inaccurate!
Old 02-13-2003, 12:55 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Originally posted by Chris S
Daytona Blue Z in Bo,

My so-called "heavy" convertible has about a 400 lb. weight advantage on the Z and is stiffer than most closed roof cars....go figure.

As for a convertible sportscar being an oxymoron, mine’s powertrain and chassis was designed solely for it’s application in a kickass, hand-built sportscar. Where was your supposedly “pure” sportscar derived from…a Pathfinder engine and sedan chassis? Not trying to knock the 350Z (I really do love them), but your opinions on convertibles are highly inaccurate!
Since when does the Z share a platform with a sedan? Anyway, the point of what I was trying to say was that if your car was "coupe" style do you think it would weight the same? Do you think it would handle better or worse? Exactly my point..

BTW- Of course your car weights 400 less than a Z, its the size of a shoebox
Old 02-13-2003, 01:08 PM
ares
Veteran

both of you have good points. and yeah the Z does somewhat share a platform with a sedan. much the same as the new mustang will share a platform with the lincoln LS.

also the S2000 is lighter, but that does not mean it wouldnt be even MORE lighter with a hard top, and more ridgid. the S2000 is TINY compared to the Z.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:29 PM
Chris S

Default FM Platform...G35 sedan, FX35/45

Originally posted by Daytona Blue Z in Bo
Since when does the Z share a platform with a sedan?
Since the '03 model was released on the FM platform, which was first used on the G35 sedan. Actually, it also now shares it w/ an SUV, the Infiniti FX 35/45.

The S2000 was designed as a convertible and feels rigid as hell already, so I'm not sure a hardtop would produce a noticeable increase in rigidity (it feels every bit as rigid as the Z already).

Also, the difference in size isn't as great as it might look. From Edmunds:
Exterior S2000 350Z
Length 162.2 in. 169.6 in.
Width 68.9 in. 71.5 in.
Height 50.6 in. 51.9 in.
Weight 2809 lbs. 3225 lbs.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:38 PM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Default Re: FM Platform...G35 sedan, FX35/45

Hmm, I was pretty sure I read in my Car and Driver Mag that the G35 and the G35C share a different platform then the 350z - I Have however heard that the Z now shares it with the FX35/45 Thing, I don't think it's a SUV, or a sedan, but kinda like a Truck/Roadster?? I'll have to refer back to my CnD issue
Old 02-13-2003, 02:04 PM
Chris S

Default Re: Re: FM Platform...G35 sedan, FX35/45

Pretty sure isn't good enough...better go back and do some more research!

Originally posted by Daytona Blue Z in Bo
Hmm, I was pretty sure I read in my Car and Driver Mag that the G35 and the G35C share a different platform then the 350z
Old 02-13-2003, 11:43 PM
RANDY350Z

The Z convertible will be slightly faster than the coupe---given convertibles are a tad "lighter" on the top and do have a speed advantage. Having an S2000 a racing a corvette coupe this is true. Many think convertibles are heavier----on the top area no---which means less drag when accelerating. Then again the ability to race relies on the driver of when to shift! Speed should be of no concern unless you plan to "Track" go for style and the handling of the car. Drive both down curvy roads and decide which is right for you---Remember somebody always has a faster car, I personally like the new roadster over the coupe--just for open air driving! Even if the car is 300ilbs heavier--won't make a difference of more than a second???? Good luck choosing!
Old 02-14-2003, 03:38 AM
Daytona Blue Z in Bo

Originally posted by RANDY350Z
The Z convertible will be slightly faster than the coupe---given convertibles are a tad "lighter" on the top and do have a speed advantage. Having an S2000 a racing a corvette coupe this is true. Many think convertibles are heavier----on the top area no---which means less drag when accelerating. Then again the ability to race relies on the driver of when to shift! Speed should be of no concern unless you plan to "Track" go for style and the handling of the car. Drive both down curvy roads and decide which is right for you---Remember somebody always has a faster car, I personally like the new roadster over the coupe--just for open air driving! Even if the car is 300ilbs heavier--won't make a difference of more than a second???? Good luck choosing!
HUH?

"convertibles are a tad "lighter" on the top and do have a speed advantage"

"Even if the car is 300ilbs heavier--won't make a difference of more than a second????

"Having an S2000 a racing a corvette coupe this is true"

I am puzzled
Old 02-14-2003, 09:09 AM
Finality

So am I...

Convertibles sometimes have a weight disadvantage depending on whether its an auto retracting roof or not. Also dont forget that soft tops have extremeley bad drag coeffecients even with the top up. The exeptions are of course hard top convertibles.
Old 02-14-2003, 09:27 AM
ares
Veteran

yeah and hard top convertables make up for it with more motors that are bigger. they actually can be pretty heavy, more so then if it was a solid roof. the fabric used in a convertable is pretty heavy, youd be suprised how light and thin the sheet metal in our roof is. while the convertable has all sorts of scissor joints that dont even add to ridgity. as well as motors to move it, and a motor to open the cover, ect.

also in my experience with convertables, not only do you hear EVERYTHING outside the car, but you also get a lot of rattles from it. but my experience is with a 1997 BMW318, so its possible that new convertable like the S2000 and Z wont/dont have this problem.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:02 AM
RANDY350Z

I have come to realize after owning seven sports cars that road noise is almost a guarentee when it comes to convertibles, I hope the 350z roadster will have availible detachable hard top for the winter months.

So far the best sports car I've had was the S2000, now I Praise the Z!
Old 02-16-2003, 05:49 AM
rummya87

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

convertibles = not good looking
chris s = troll

Quick Reply: 2004 350Z / Roadster faster? Better?