Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

AC on with the top down?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 10:13 AM
mg350ZR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AC on with the top down?

It hit 100 degrees yesterday when I was driving my roadster with the top down . It was a little warm , so I turned on the AC and kept the top down. That resulted in a more comfortable drive .

- Anybody else drive around with the top down and AC on?
- Any disadvantages to doing this (aside from the obvious gas mileage decrease)?

Thanks.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:12 AM
maxpowers

I do this sometimes if its stop and go traffic.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:41 AM
jtang03

i go w/ top down a/c on all the time.
but i wouldnt go top down at 100 degrees!!! are u crazyyy even w/ a/c on max its still freakin hooottt.
i think our a/c suks. even w/ my top up@ 100 degrees a/c max its just cool not cold. ??? i have an '06 so it cant be that my a/c is already broken??
Old 07-14-2006, 11:43 AM
behjjeh
Vendor - Former Vendor

no fancy conv here.. but i roll my windows and a/c on all the time!!
who cares about gas.. it's only 10~20miles different in whole tank of gas...
Old 07-14-2006, 11:43 AM
ANXIOUZ

In colder climates I've been known to crank the heat up in order to crack the windows comfortably.
Old 07-14-2006, 11:49 AM
TurboSteve

I'm glad someone else posted this because I always max my a/c out and roll my windows down... i just love having the windows down on the car!
Old 07-14-2006, 12:47 PM
tractng

How about driving naked? J/P!!!

Tony
Old 07-14-2006, 12:52 PM
EriksonFL

Condensation? I heard that the AC will start to stink if you leave it on with the windows open or top down. So you should turn off the AC and leave the blower on for a few mins before turning off the car. I don’t know if there’s any truth to this.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:19 PM
mg350ZR

Thanks all for your responses.

Originally Posted by jtang03
...i wouldnt go top down at 100 degrees!!! are u crazyyy even w/ a/c on max its still freakin hooottt.
Not too bad when the car is moving, especially on the freeway. It is stop-and-go situation that makes things a little hot.

Originally Posted by tractng
How about driving naked? J/P!!!
Tony
Don't want to get a sunburn . Also, butt and back would stick to leather seats , don't think that would be very comfortable when it is time to get out of the car.

Why don't you try it and post your impressions, ...oh, and please no pics.

Originally Posted by EriksonFL
Condensation? I heard that the AC will start to stink if you leave it on with the windows open or top down. ...
Don't see how this makes sense.

Last edited by mg350ZR; 07-14-2006 at 01:27 PM.
Old 07-14-2006, 01:55 PM
ronniemcfarling

My AC works great. There may be a problem with yours.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:04 PM
sq40

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by maximXL
In colder climates I've been known to crank the heat up in order to crack the windows comfortably.
Heater on with the windows up in Snow is Awesome in the car.
Old 07-14-2006, 03:14 PM
EriksonFL

Originally Posted by mg350ZR
Thanks all for your responses.

Not too bad when the car is moving, especially on the freeway. It is stop-and-go situation that makes things a little hot.

Don't want to get a sunburn . Also, butt and back would stick to leather seats , don't think that would be very comfortable when it is time to get out of the car.

Why don't you try it and post your impressions, ...oh, and please no pics.

Don't see how this makes sense.
The temperature difference between the AC and the outside air temperatures causes water to condensate in your AC system, vents and evaporator... in which, bacteria, fungus, mold, and spores can all grow, causing the smell.

I know I saw this somewhere...

This is NOT from Nissan. But remember Z's don't have In-Cabin Micro Filters.

"Service Bulletin:

File In Section: 01 - HVAC
Subject: Air Conditioning Odor

Condition:

Some customers may comment on odors emitted from the air conditioning system, primarily at start-up in hot humid climates.

Cause:

This odor may be the result of microbial growth on the evaporator core. When the blower motor fan is turned on, the microbial growth may release an unpleasant, musty odor into the passenger compartment. There are several other possible sources of a musty odor in a vehicle. A common source is a water leak. Follow the Service Manual procedure for identifying and correcting water leaks if other odor sources are found. The procedure contained in this bulletin is only applicable if the source of the odor has already been determined to be the HVAC module.

Correction:

To remove odors of this type, it is necessary to eliminate the microbial growth and prevent its reoccurrence. To accomplish this, the following steps must be completed:

1.Apply evaporator core Cooling Coil Coating
(Aerosol 6 oz), P/N 12377951 (AC Delco(R) 15-102)
(in Canada, use P/N 10953503) or Cooling Coil
Coating Kit with Extension Nozzle, P/N 12346391
(AC Delco(R) 10-120).

Refills are available for the Cooling Coil Coating
Kit with Extension Nozzle, P/N 12346391
(AC Delco(R) 10-120). Refer to the chart below.

2.Install the Electronic Evaporator Dryer, P/N 12497910 (AC Delco(R) 15-5876).

Important : The Cooling Coil Coatings listed above are the only GM approved products for the disinfection and long-term control of evaporator microbial growth. The Cooling Coil Coating will disinfect the evaporator core and help inhibit the growth of future mold and mildew.

The Electronic Evaporator Dryer will activate when the ambient temperature near the module is above 16°C (60°F) when the vehicle is started up. Approximately 30 minutes after the vehicle has been turned off, the blower will activate for 10 seconds every 10 minutes for 2 hours unless the vehicle is restarted. If a restart occurs, the Electronic Evaporator Dryer module will reset automatically. This on/off blower activation will dry the evaporator core and case reducing the chance of reoccurring A/C odor. The Electronic Evaporator Dryer is self fused and has a battery rundown protection feature that inactivates the dryer if voltage drops below 12.5 volts.

Service Procedure:

1.Visually inspect the air conditioning evaporator drain hose for obstructions and/or working condition.

2.The cooling coil coating fluid must be applied to a dry evaporator core. Apply coil coating fluid as described in the instructions supplied with the kit. In some instances, the blower motor resistor can be removed for this spraying operation. If used, the opening can be taped over and the nozzle inserted through a hole in the tape. The kit instructions identify a drilling procedure to apply the coating fluid. When using this type of procedure, care must be taken to avoid evaporator damage and any holes must be properly sealed. Some coating fluid may overflow from the drain hose.

Important : When installing the Electric Evaporator Module, you MUST use the included electrical splice connectors to ensure a splice.

3.Complete detailed installation instructions and wire connectors are supplied with the Electronic Evaporator Dryer. The ground wire should be attached to a body ground source. If any other wire splicing procedures are needed, follow the wire repair procedures in the Electrical sub-section of Body & Accessories in the appropriate Service Manual. If required, the evaporator dryer can be installed underhood away from extreme heat conditions (i.e. exhaust manifolds) and/or water splash areas. In all cases, the evaporator dryer module must be secured with a Velcro(R) strip (not included in the kit), or you may use the integral hooks to utilize tie straps. Using a Velcro(R) strip is preferred as the use of the integral hooks may cause rattles.

4.When the installation procedure is complete and power is supplied, the module will self-test. Thirty seconds after power is supplied, the high blower speed will be activated 3 times (for 2 seconds per cycle). When the test has run, install the Electronic Evaporator Dryer label on the blower motor case in a visible area.

Then to keep it from happening again... when you run the AC, right before you shut off the vehicle, turn off the AC and turn the vent on high for a minute."
Old 07-14-2006, 06:34 PM
BrianV

I do it on rare occassions and typically also roll the windows up (top still down). With the windows up it helps keep the cool air inside the car.

I think for a modern car, our AC works darn well. The car is SOOOO small that when you have the top up it cools in seconds. I live in TX and have done 100 degree top down days and the AC makes it more like top down when it's like 87 degrees.

I now think if it's over 94 degrees it's time to think about rolling with the top up, however I still on occassion ride with top down and ac on.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:40 PM
mwest300zx

We own 6 convertibles. My wife has driven with the AC on and top down in all of our cars for the past 20+ years. She almost always has the AC on/top down. Have had zero problems. I don't do it with the AC but I do drive in colder weather with the heater on. Again on problems.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:44 PM
Ken Corsun

Originally Posted by mg350ZR
It hit 100 degrees yesterday when I was driving my roadster with the top down . It was a little warm , so I turned on the AC and kept the top down. That resulted in a more comfortable drive .

- Anybody else drive around with the top down and AC on?
- Any disadvantages to doing this (aside from the obvious gas mileage decrease)?

Thanks.
Frequently and no.

Ken
Old 07-16-2006, 03:00 PM
dvdvalente

During The Day : Top Down Ac On
During The Night: Top Down Ac Off

I Dont Think I Ever Drove With Top Down And Ac Off.. Maybe Its My Weight!!! 2 And Some Change.. : )
Old 07-16-2006, 06:48 PM
Netko350Z

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Shyt...I roll with the A/C on...top down...and my seat heaters on!!!! Yeeeaaa BOI!!!
Old 07-17-2006, 05:29 AM
pglover

I do it when it is really hot. I also find that keeping the windows up makes a big difference.
Old 07-17-2006, 08:23 AM
stevem

A/c and top down all the time. Also, up here, heat and top down is required too!
Old 07-22-2006, 01:28 PM
Zster'n

top down, A/C up...thats my thing...especially with the sun

Quick Reply: AC on with the top down?