Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

My 350Z Towed after first oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 09:02 AM
toples z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OMG poor Z. those suns of bitches who did your oil change should get shot. They probably drained the oil and changed the filter and forgot to put in the oil.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:23 AM
FoxyRed

We just went by the car to see if we could see the oil better. Before I started I got the oil to register above the L, then started it turned it off and checked again, it was at the L. It wasn't doing the reving noise this time though, of course I live in Kansas where you can't sell a vehicle on sunday so there was no one there, there were people at Toyota, but no one in site at Nissan.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:51 AM
dikspiel
Chestons Toilet

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

if it makes you feel any better a week after buying my car...i had only driven it once...from the dealership I went on a little cruise by myself to get the feel for the car and I had stopped to go in somewhere and my car wouldnt start...had to tow it 30+ friggin miles because the dealership forgot to remove the secondary dealership alarm.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:32 PM
blastoff99

Originally Posted by FoxyRed
Yep thats it in a nutshell, by the way my check engine light never reared its ugly head, no lights on in the dash out of the ordinary..... You'd think this would be the prime time for that to turn on....

Just FYI... the "check engine" light has nothing to do with oil level or oil pressure.
Old 03-16-2008, 05:14 PM
brad568

We just went by the car to see if we could see the oil better. Before I started I got the oil to register above the L, then started it turned it off and checked again, it was at the L. It wasn't doing the reving noise this time though, of course I live in Kansas where you can't sell a vehicle on sunday so there was no one there, there were people at Toyota, but no one in site at Nissan.
Sounds like you are in the clear here. If you checked your oil and it registered above L before starting, then you probably have just above 4 quarts of oil in the system which should be enough to prevent damage. Though I haven't performed my first oil change yet, I'm guessing the engine has an oil capacity around 5 quarts. I'm not sure why your engine went into limp mode, but it may not be related to the oil after all.
Old 03-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Lakeside

Sorry to hear. Sounds as though they were careless and forgot to add oil & check the stick Curious to why you opted to have an oil change at 1200 kmi? If your not doing your own work there is no shame in checking your oil level before leaving the service center. This is one more nightmare story to convince people do just that!

At least most Lube centers will show their customer's the Dip stick after they complete your maintenance visit. Not the case when you drop it off though...

This is a Nismo forum so confused as to why posted here. My Nismo has been tucked away now since Mid November. Currently having 750 miles on her. No plans to change the oil till 3,000 miles and then switching over to full synthetic. Amsoil
Old 03-17-2008, 03:42 AM
FoxyRed

Originally Posted by Lakeside
Sorry to hear. Sounds as though they were careless and forgot to add oil & check the stick Curious to why you opted to have an oil change at 1200 kmi? If your not doing your own work there is no shame in checking your oil level before leaving the service center. This is one more nightmare story to convince people do just that!

At least most Lube centers will show their customer's the Dip stick after they complete your maintenance visit. Not the case when you drop it off though...

This is a Nismo forum so confused as to why posted here. My Nismo has been tucked away now since Mid November. Currently having 750 miles on her. No plans to change the oil till 3,000 miles and then switching over to full synthetic. Amsoil
Dealer advised to do first oil change at 1000 miles. Car its self told me to change the oil at 1000 miles. So much for trusting the dealer.....
Old 03-17-2008, 05:44 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Only I don't have the defrost on.....but the up and low or auto or any setting. It doesn't matter what its on the a/c comes on ALL the time on every setting. I typically have it on the high and low air (arrow to your head and arrow to your feet).

I leave mine in the same setting, and yes, the ac always comes on by itself. It's perfectly normal.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:46 AM
Russ@Z1

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Dealer advised to do first oil change at 1000 miles. Car its self told me to change the oil at 1000 miles. So much for trusting the dealer.....

Hopefully there will be no other complications from this incompetence of the dealer.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 PM
brad568

Okay, the suspense is killing me. What was the verdict?
Old 03-17-2008, 06:10 PM
DelayedZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know pursuing lemon law is difficult, but it may be an option, or seeing if the dealer would work with you if this is your purchasing dealer, it sounds like service screwed up and I would take it up with the General Manager to see what they can do for you, I would almost say tell them you don't want the car anymore, I don't know how long you had the car or what your states rules are but in Jersey you have a 30 day period to basically say you don't want it anymore...lol, like buyers remorse, this would definetly fall under that not wanting anymore, I would look into it.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:47 PM
FoxyRed

So we show up at 7:15 am. Explain how I feel, the push the car in the service, soaking my drivers door and interior, thank god I have leather. They put on a lift and I took the pics I needed to complete an estimate for the front bumper, if in fact the 2007 offers the front bumper spoiler separate from the front bumper and a little repair to the front bumper we are looking at $600 in damage. The dealer had the vehicle all day long. Said they found nothing. He told me he drove it at various speeds and rpms (does this mean he might have redlined the car?). Drove it 12 miles. Then told me the reason that I had a problem is because I was low on gas. I had 1/8 of a tank and according to the car 70 miles to go....no gas light. So they also said they'd pay the tow bill, then the dealer reneged after the tow company shredded my check. They told me I had to seek reimbursal from the road side assist, who wouldn't help me when this all occured. Which didn't please me either. So we left the dealer pissed. I checked the oil by the way it was within the range now......... And yes I did quote the book on how to check oil pressure because the service checked it after it had been sitting for 36 hours, without starting it letting it warm up and then checking it 10 min later, and the service mgr argued with that....
So I called roadside, told them what I thought, spoke to a manager and got them to pay the tow company direct....now how hard was that? They also opened a case to find out why I wasn't helped in the first place (I realize this is a line of ****, but at least he got me taken care of.) He also provided me with the number to consumer affairs.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:32 PM
07roadster

So.. they gave you no explanation of why the car was low on oil?? Sounds like they filled it up and just didnt tell you to cover themself... I cant stand Dealers that dont care about their customers.. I had a situation with a dealer where they didnt care about helping me so i just went to another dealer's service department and got treated totally different.. They actually tried a thing such as making the customer happy... Sorry to hear about your car... I hope everything is ok.. Seems like these dealers always try to put the blame on us...
Old 03-18-2008, 05:55 AM
Nismo #433

That's where I bought my Nismo. *Gulp*
Old 03-18-2008, 06:31 AM
bdavids1

I also noticed that any time I turn the climate control system off that the a/c turns on whether its on cold or hot... anyone else having that problem?
The AC light just indicates that the AC is allowed to be used. The car won't actually use AC unless it needs to cool the car. What I've found works best is to set the vent selection on auto, set the fan speed on auto, and turn the temperature dial to a comfortable temperature. Then just leave it alone.

The only time I mess with it is if I have to hit the button to defrost the rear mirror. When it's cold out, the system somehow figures out how to run to keep the front window from fogging up. It's great!
Old 03-19-2008, 09:25 AM
maxpowers

Welcome to the world of crappy Nissan service

I don't entirely blame it on the dealers. The processes set up by Nissan Head Office seem to drive much of it.

Its bizzare the car is working fine now. If the low oil light didn't come on, then you didn't lose enough pressure to do damage.

It could have been worse. There have been a few stories (like dhwang80) who had an oil change and they guy didn't put the oil cap back on resulting in oil all over the place and burning oil smell for the next 1000 miles.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:45 PM
brad568

So we show up at 7:15 am. Explain how I feel, the push the car in the service, soaking my drivers door and interior, thank god I have leather. They put on a lift and I took the pics I needed to complete an estimate for the front bumper, if in fact the 2007 offers the front bumper spoiler separate from the front bumper and a little repair to the front bumper we are looking at $600 in damage. The dealer had the vehicle all day long. Said they found nothing. He told me he drove it at various speeds and rpms (does this mean he might have redlined the car?). Drove it 12 miles. Then told me the reason that I had a problem is because I was low on gas. I had 1/8 of a tank and according to the car 70 miles to go....no gas light. So they also said they'd pay the tow bill, then the dealer reneged after the tow company shredded my check. They told me I had to seek reimbursal from the road side assist, who wouldn't help me when this all occured. Which didn't please me either. So we left the dealer pissed. I checked the oil by the way it was within the range now......... And yes I did quote the book on how to check oil pressure because the service checked it after it had been sitting for 36 hours, without starting it letting it warm up and then checking it 10 min later, and the service mgr argued with that....
So I called roadside, told them what I thought, spoke to a manager and got them to pay the tow company direct....now how hard was that? They also opened a case to find out why I wasn't helped in the first place (I realize this is a line of ****, but at least he got me taken care of.) He also provided me with the number to consumer affairs.
Wow, that was some story. Sorry that you had to go through all that. I just hope that it doesn't taint your relationship with your great car. I'd feel pretty sure that they didn't abuse your car in the slightest when they had it in the shop. Remember, they just want to get you off their back, not create anymore problems for themselves by getting caught racing your car around. And, no, I can't see why they would have red-lined your car. But, even if they did, your car has a rev-limiter that would have protected your engine. Hope you have better luck on your future oil changes!
Old 03-19-2008, 06:14 PM
johns350

Default Sorry to hear this...

1) my dealer told me no use changing oil at the 1k to 1.5k mark - I was going to do it - but waited to 2.5k. All went well (just had it done last week at Nissan of Dallas - no issues - phew!).

2) back in '99, I had a BMW 540i - at 15k miles, the oil canister seperated - talk about a mess! 8 quarts of oil all over the place - LOTS of smoke. I stopped immediately - had it towed to the dealer. They asked 'who has been working on this car'. My answer - they were the ONLY ones. They repaired and cleaned. Never happened again.

Anyway - hope all works well w/your car.