Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

convex mirror: blind spot

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Corporate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convex mirror: blind spot

Has anyone had a positive experience adding convex mirrors to the side-view mirrors? Given the significant blind spots on the roadster, I thought that this might be a useful modification; however, most of the mirrors appear to be of inferior quality or of such poor design that they would distract from the appearance of the car. Any suggestions?

Last edited by Corporate; 04-14-2008 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:58 AM
maxpowers

I never found one I liked.

After a while you get used to the blind spot and compensate through shoulder checks.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:10 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I always look back, mirrors suck.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:31 PM
frankyB

If you set you side mirror correctly it help a lot, the blind is not that bad. I have seen worse....
Old 04-14-2008, 02:05 PM
xtrmspd

Ok this kills me. Let me set it straight for everyone. You should be able to see all vehicles with the 3 mirrors without having to look over your shoulder. The common mistake for all, is that they keep the side mirrors to the point where they see their own car, this is incorrect.

The best way to adjust your side mirrors is to pull up to a car that is parked and pull forward until you just see the front bumper disappear.

Then stop and run the mirror out until you can see the majority of the vehicle. Do this on both sides. From this point, if you don't see the car with your rear view mirror, then you can check your side and you should be able to see the car. Just like magic.

Not to push off the shoulder looking, but this will eliminate most of it. I only check the shoulder if i'm moving some what slow and I havn't peeked at the mirrors for a few.

Just in case you are curious, I've been driving like this for years. It's efficient and keeps you from looking away from the car that is in front of you (less likely to rear end someone). This is the problem with ppl. They tend to take their eyes off the objects in front of them while peering over their shoulders. Ppl tend to spend too much time trying to change lanes by looking over their shoulders and spending less time looking at the vehicle in front.

This is just an advice, but try it. Once you get used to it, it's like walking.
Old 04-14-2008, 06:23 PM
frankyB

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by xtrmspd
Ok this kills me. Let me set it straight for everyone. You should be able to see all vehicles with the 3 mirrors without having to look over your shoulder. The common mistake for all, is that they keep the side mirrors to the point where they see their own car, this is incorrect.

The best way to adjust your side mirrors is to pull up to a car that is parked and pull forward until you just see the front bumper disappear.

Then stop and run the mirror out until you can see the majority of the vehicle. Do this on both sides. From this point, if you don't see the car with your rear view mirror, then you can check your side and you should be able to see the car. Just like magic.

Not to push off the shoulder looking, but this will eliminate most of it. I only check the shoulder if i'm moving some what slow and I havn't peeked at the mirrors for a few.

Just in case you are curious, I've been driving like this for years. It's efficient and keeps you from looking away from the car that is in front of you (less likely to rear end someone). This is the problem with ppl. They tend to take their eyes off the objects in front of them while peering over their shoulders. Ppl tend to spend too much time trying to change lanes by looking over their shoulders and spending less time looking at the vehicle in front.

^^^ What he said...
Old 04-14-2008, 06:26 PM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just being an active driver and checking your mirrors helps a lot. Be aware of your surroundings and you will be fine. With this car you just have to be more conscious of what is going on.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:27 PM
luvmyumpc

No blind spots with the top down...who drives a roadster with the top up...its only there to keep the dust off the interior when your not driving...

I am actually kidding.. first day I had the car I decided to see how it was with the top up.. cut somebody off that I had no idea was there. Have to be ultra careful with the blind spots in that car..in fact I would say there are very few visible spots.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:24 AM
sungerdds

Default 350Z European version side mirrors

Originally Posted by xtrmspd

I was concerned with the large blind spot with the roadster when I first got it. and I tried putting small wide angle stick ons on the side mirrors but they were ineffective and a distraction. Adjusting mirrors like XTRMSPD mentions helps enormously (turning your head is a distraction, and it really doesn't help much in the roadster). Still even with adjusting the mirrors this way I'm still a little uneasy when merging right. I'm currently in Italy for a few months and I noticed that side mirrors on all vehicles over here are about 1/3d wider angle then in the states. Makes merging right or left very easy without turning your head. I just picked up from Nissan Italy, left and right side Z mirrors which appear be easy to exchange with my US version mirrors at home (the mirror itself snaps in). The only downside to a wider angle side mirror is that vehicles behind you appear slightly further away then we are used to with our US side mirrors. This is easy adjust to, over here it took a day or two. I'll post how this works out after they're installed back at home in June.

Last edited by sungerdds; 05-01-2008 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-01-2008, 12:49 PM
Corporate

Default Euro mirrors

Many thanks for the tip regarding availability of wider-view side mirrors in Europe. I'm visiting several cities in Europe next month on business and would like to purchase a set. Can you provide more details (part numbers) and/or pictures?
Does anyone know if these mirrors can be purchased on a foreign website?
Could one of our European members coordinate a buy for us?
Old 05-04-2008, 01:41 AM
sungerdds

Hi Corporate- the part numbers are: nissan genuine parts: 96366-CD800 (the left) and 96365-CD460 for the right. I compared both mirrors to the ones on the Fiat i'm renting and the quality of course is better with the nissan's and the wide angle was even slightly greater. Cost 124E for both, which compared to the cost of an accident is a great deal.

Last edited by sungerdds; 05-04-2008 at 12:17 PM.
Old 05-05-2008, 04:37 AM
Corporate

Many thanks.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:00 AM
swong13

Do these mirrors have the electrical connections for the mirror defroster? I was able to order convex mirrors from a dealer in Australia but they did not have the defroster connections.

Thanks.

-Steven