Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

First Day with my Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 08:08 PM
R12RTpilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Day with my Roadster

After picking up my 06 silver "Grand Touring" edition ZR on Friday nite, I finally had a chance to go over it with a fine tooth comb, and I liked what I saw. Seems to be in great shape.

I cleaned the ragtop and Scotchgarded it, washed, waxed and treated all rubber striping with silicone spray.

Then, we went out for a long ride. Not so much into the twisties today, but about 125 miles averaging 62 mph. Wife was impressed with the quiet and comfort, even with the top down. Same here, but I really enjoyed the exhaust note going thru the gears. End mileage, measured and math by me equaled 26.8 miles per gallon.

Head turning good looks, great gas mileage and plenty fast....What's not to love?

Cheers,
Steve in So Cal
Old 10-05-2008, 09:54 PM
Phreakdout

Congrats Steve. As winter is coming, I wish I lived in SoCal with my ZR.

Now let's see some pics!
Old 10-06-2008, 12:44 AM
xENo

Congrats on grabbing a great so cal car.

Where in so cal are you?
Old 10-06-2008, 07:03 AM
THE ROADSTER

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Congrats Steve. As winter is coming, I wish I lived in SoCal with my ZR.

Now let's see some pics!

winter is my favorite time to drive the ZR in SoCal, just turn on the heater with the top down
Old 10-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Phreakdout

^^ LOL

I still drive with the top down even when it's 50 degrees out. The seat heaters and regular heater work great.

Besides, I love getting the "look" from everyone who thinks I'm insane. Heck with them!
Old 10-06-2008, 09:56 AM
stud_daddy

Originally Posted by R12RTpilot
After picking up my 06 silver "Grand Touring" edition ZR on Friday nite, I finally had a chance to go over it with a fine tooth comb, and I liked what I saw. Seems to be in great shape.

I cleaned the ragtop and Scotchgarded it, washed, waxed and treated all rubber striping with silicone spray.

Then, we went out for a long ride. Not so much into the twisties today, but about 125 miles averaging 62 mph. Wife was impressed with the quiet and comfort, even with the top down. Same here, but I really enjoyed the exhaust note going thru the gears. End mileage, measured and math by me equaled 26.8 miles per gallon.

Head turning good looks, great gas mileage and plenty fast....What's not to love?

Cheers,
Steve in So Cal
Scotchgarded your ragtop??
Old 10-06-2008, 07:51 PM
R12RTpilot

Default Great new ride

Hey guys, it's great to meet you all here in cyber space. I live in Glendora, CA, which is about 28 miles east of LA. I'll post some pix once I have a bit of time to take 'em and get them up on my smugmug site. I'm a high school principal and time is a bit scarce right now...

I'd def. be up to meeting some other local owners and swapping information/going for a cruise, etc. Maybe when I have a free day I'll organize something!

Yep, ScotchGard on the ragtop. I picked up a can of the heavy duty upholstery version, washed the top thoroughly, and then sprayed on two light coats. I allowed drying time between coats. Why ScotchGard? It protects upholstery from UV and makes the material resistant to stains, bird droppings, and dirt. It's good stuff. One caveat-make sure you test on a small area before applying. I had no problems with color rubbing off, but YMMV!

See ya on the road,

Steve
Old 10-06-2008, 08:01 PM
stud_daddy

Originally Posted by R12RTpilot
Hey guys, it's great to meet you all here in cyber space. I live in Glendora, CA, which is about 28 miles east of LA. I'll post some pix once I have a bit of time to take 'em and get them up on my smugmug site. I'm a high school principal and time is a bit scarce right now...

I'd def. be up to meeting some other local owners and swapping information/going for a cruise, etc. Maybe when I have a free day I'll organize something!

Yep, ScotchGard on the ragtop. I picked up a can of the heavy duty upholstery version, washed the top thoroughly, and then sprayed on two light coats. I allowed drying time between coats. Why ScotchGard? It protects upholstery from UV and makes the material resistant to stains, bird droppings, and dirt. It's good stuff. One caveat-make sure you test on a small area before applying. I had no problems with color rubbing off, but YMMV!

See ya on the road,

Steve
If you're talking about "Scotchgard Fabric & Upholstery Protector", you may want to reconsider because the 3M website does not recommend using this for Vinyls. And your ragtop is vinyl.
Old 10-06-2008, 08:09 PM
R12RTpilot

Interesting...I'm gonna email ScothGard and see what they say...I know it is ineffective on "smooth" vinyl, as it will not absorb. Plus the ScotchGard makes it very slippery. Def. no good for motorcycle seats...

Thanks, and I'll post if I find out ScotchGard actually harms the ragtop material....

Cheers,
Steve in So Cal
Old 10-07-2008, 05:55 PM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i hate drivin around with my ZR in Georgia =( so cold anyways congrats! =)
Old 10-08-2008, 12:44 AM
A3VT 74

enjoy your money pit...
Old 10-08-2008, 06:43 AM
scotts300
350Z-holic

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by A3VT 74
enjoy your money pit...
49 months with mine - it has needed one out-of-pocket sensor, however, I only get 22mpg with my heavy foot.
Old 10-08-2008, 08:27 AM
Phreakdout

Mine's been a money pit of love. I tend to throw money at it like a stripper girlfriend. (Replacing the top is the only repair, everything else is an upgrade.)
Old 10-28-2008, 04:45 AM
Magyver

Originally Posted by A3VT 74
enjoy your money pit...
This isn't great to see from a potential buyer standpoint.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:06 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know anything about a money pit. I will be reaching a year full of ownership in couple months. The car has been awesome. The only money I have spent are on an oil change and mods. Just take care of the car and it will take care of you.

Congratulations on your purchase. You will be very happy with it. I am in KS and have bad winters. Good thing for my beater so I can leave the ZR in the garage. Enjoy the car and your nice winters! lol
Old 10-28-2008, 07:42 PM
johns350

Default Money Pit?

I'm sure there are a few lemons out there - just like every other car. Mine - not a single problem nor out of pocket expense.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:29 PM
steves1150

Originally Posted by johns350
I'm sure there are a few lemons out there - just like every other car. Mine - not a single problem nor out of pocket expense.
Interesting you say that....so far no money out of pocket, but my ZR is currently at the dealer (Performance Nissan in So Cal) being checked out for a suspicious clanking sound under the car when I push in the clutch...

Go figure....

Steve in So Cal
Old 10-30-2008, 07:31 PM
dsmZ

yes this car is DEF a money pit, mainly because i cant stop modding mine :-p

no repairs needed and i believe im approaching or slightly over 60k... my top was replaced for free when i bought it. besides the top needing to be replaced, why do people think its a money pit? same engine, same lights, interior parts, rims, etc... as a non roadster, so shouldn't the regular Z be a money pit as well????
Old 10-30-2008, 07:37 PM
Z_Nick_Z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

by money pit i think he was referring to the mod bug.

it eventually hits everyone, some quicker than others haha.

enjoy it man
Old 11-03-2008, 12:12 AM
Magyver

Originally Posted by Zippy_z
by money pit i think he was referring to the mod bug.

it eventually hits everyone, some quicker than others haha.

enjoy it man

I can attest to that comment....eventally hits everyone with a sports car.

Quick Reply: First Day with my Roadster