Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Trunk

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 02:15 PM
johns350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trunk

Anyone take apart thier trunk in a roadster? Completely - not just carpet, spare tire, etc. I mean the surround - the cardboard like stuff. Is that all one piece? Almost looks to be all connected - hope not. If anyone has done it - how big of a mess/project was it?

I'm still tracing down a noise. Now that my top is up on occasion, it is driving me nuts!

Let me know - thanks.

Last edited by johns350; 11-16-2008 at 02:19 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 01:54 AM
yogipower

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

sorry to hear that...you should take it to local dealershop.
Old 11-20-2008, 04:50 AM
Phreakdout

Uh .... what kind of noise are you hearing?
Old 11-20-2008, 06:07 PM
johns350

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
Uh .... what kind of noise are you hearing?
It's difficult to describe. Sort of a clunk - or bang. It is coming from the passenger side rear - sounds like over/behind the passenger seat. Could be in trunk. Could be somewhere in top mechanism. Could be......anywhere!

Only occurs when I hit a bump (small or large) w/right/rear wheel/tire. Low speed is when I notice it. Much more so when I am turning.

I have: removed spare; removed jack & styrofoam 'thing' it sits in; lowered window; greased door (passenger & driver); lightly pulled up on the parking break (see if cable is loose/banging around); and anything else I can think of. Been to 2 dealers - twice. They have checked/tightened everything they can see. It has had the 'ears' put on it at dealer - they cannot pinpoint the noise.

There is something (not sure what it is) located in the far corner of the passenger side/rear of the trunk. My guess is some sort of sensor. Really like to see if that thing is tightly mounted. It is behind the jack - under/behind the trunk surround/cardboard/thing.

Really do not hear it when top is down - but not sure if it isn't there, or just cannot hear it.

Anyway - that is my story. Posted some time ago and this issue seems to be unique.

- John

Last edited by johns350; 11-20-2008 at 06:10 PM. Reason: oops
Old 11-20-2008, 09:26 PM
Phreakdout

I'm going to doubt it's the top. It sits on some thick rubber pads and it's surrounded by lining. The top really doesn't move around with the way it's folded in there.

I suspect the sound is from under your car.

Check rear sway bar connection and bushings.
Check the exhaust. If you have downpipes / test pipes, I noticed the right side gets too close to the floorboard. Loosen the bolts, adjust into place and retighten.

If you have the OE muffler, are one of the rubber bushings loose. That muffler is packed in there and the bracket assembly in the front is huge and tight fitting.

Rear upper strut mount? Have you replaced the rear struts? If the piston rod nut loose? Allowing the rod to move around in the mount.

Just be methodical. Look for impact marks. Try to pay attention exactly when it happens. If it's during suspension travel, then start looking there.

Good luck.
Old 11-21-2008, 07:26 AM
Master Shake

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I know what you are referring to, but I have no idea what it is exactly -- other than to think it has something to do with how the top went down (how it folded, etc.).

In my case, it happens on the rear driver side, somewhere in the top storage compartment. It never happens when the top is up, but usually (not always) happens when the top is down and when I make a left turn into my drive way -- at the point where the car is somewhat off-balance because of a left turn over a driveway hump (PHX driveways are not flat at the entrance point), and when the rear driver side wheel hits the bump (this is at less than 5 MPH). I always figured it was just part of the top mechanism.

Other than an annoyance, do you find it to be really bad?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:11 PM
johns350

Originally Posted by Master Shake
I think I know what you are referring to, but I have no idea what it is exactly -- other than to think it has something to do with how the top went down (how it folded, etc.).

In my case, it happens on the rear driver side, somewhere in the top storage compartment. It never happens when the top is up, but usually (not always) happens when the top is down and when I make a left turn into my drive way -- at the point where the car is somewhat off-balance because of a left turn over a driveway hump (PHX driveways are not flat at the entrance point), and when the rear driver side wheel hits the bump (this is at less than 5 MPH). I always figured it was just part of the top mechanism.

Other than an annoyance, do you find it to be really bad?
For me - it's the opposite - only hear it with the top UP. And I hear it at higher speeds too....

Annoying - driving me friggin NUTZ! Luckly I have the top down for @10 months of the year! But right now - mid-30's this morning - top UP!
Old 11-21-2008, 07:15 PM
johns350

Originally Posted by Phreakdout
I'm going to doubt it's the top. It sits on some thick rubber pads and it's surrounded by lining. The top really doesn't move around with the way it's folded in there.

I suspect the sound is from under your car.

Check rear sway bar connection and bushings.
Check the exhaust. If you have downpipes / test pipes, I noticed the right side gets too close to the floorboard. Loosen the bolts, adjust into place and retighten.

If you have the OE muffler, are one of the rubber bushings loose. That muffler is packed in there and the bracket assembly in the front is huge and tight fitting.

Rear upper strut mount? Have you replaced the rear struts? If the piston rod nut loose? Allowing the rod to move around in the mount.

Just be methodical. Look for impact marks. Try to pay attention exactly when it happens. If it's during suspension travel, then start looking there.

Good luck.
I was REALLY thinking the upper strut mount - but dealer said he tightened/checked most of the things you mentioned. Yes - car is completely stock right now - so stock exhaust/muffler, etc. I've beat on the muffler - can't get it to move, make noise, anything...

I cannot get it to duplicate by (trying to) bouncing the car whilst it is not moving.

thanks for the replies...all help!
Old 11-22-2008, 12:41 PM
Silvio

Originally Posted by johns350
It's difficult to describe. Sort of a clunk - or bang. It is coming from the passenger side rear - sounds like over/behind the passenger seat. Could be in trunk. Could be somewhere in top mechanism. Could be......anywhere!

Only occurs when I hit a bump (small or large) w/right/rear wheel/tire. Low speed is when I notice it. Much more so when I am turning.

I have: removed spare; removed jack & styrofoam 'thing' it sits in; lowered window; greased door (passenger & driver); lightly pulled up on the parking break (see if cable is loose/banging around); and anything else I can think of. Been to 2 dealers - twice. They have checked/tightened everything they can see. It has had the 'ears' put on it at dealer - they cannot pinpoint the noise.

There is something (not sure what it is) located in the far corner of the passenger side/rear of the trunk. My guess is some sort of sensor. Really like to see if that thing is tightly mounted. It is behind the jack - under/behind the trunk surround/cardboard/thing.

Really do not hear it when top is down - but not sure if it isn't there, or just cannot hear it.

Anyway - that is my story. Posted some time ago and this issue seems to be unique.

- John
I have this same issue with my 04 and like you it drives me NUTS !!! The clunk is most noticable going about 10 to 15 mph over a small bump with the top up.

I've had my suspension mechanic check for the problem but they can not find anything wrong with the installment of Takico struts or the eibach springs both where installed over a year and a half ago. Also installed Stillen sway bars and bushings shortly after. Anybody else with this problem ?
Old 11-22-2008, 06:07 PM
johns350

Originally Posted by Silvio
I have this same issue with my 04 and like you it drives me NUTS !!! The clunk is most noticable going about 10 to 15 mph over a small bump with the top up.

I've had my suspension mechanic check for the problem but they can not find anything wrong with the installment of Takico struts or the eibach springs both where installed over a year and a half ago. Also installed Stillen sway bars and bushings shortly after. Anybody else with this problem ?
Did you have the problem prior to the strut and/or sway bar replacement?
Old 11-22-2008, 08:36 PM
Silvio

No I didn't have the problem before the upgrades. Strange and annoying, I've had it up on a rack and tapped/knocked to try to mimick the sound with no luck.