Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

tear in top

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 10:34 AM
kenpo_350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tear in top

Well I put my top down last friday after a while of not using. I think it was in the typical tear spot. When I put it up I noticed a tiny tear on the passenger rear side. The upholstry shop I went to told me it would only be about 35.00 to patch and repair. It will be on the inside so it will be hidden and then I guess glued on the outside. It was a small tear and he said this will keep it from getting worse.

He was thinking a new top with replacement install would be around 1500! Glad I can just patch for now.

Just wanted to share if anyone else has any similiar top issues. I am not too happy with it as my S2000 was 3 years older than my Z and the top was just fine. But oh well less moving parts on the S and maybe better top material who knows? At least its getting fixed and will be back to normal.

On another note I got some aerocatch flush hood pins for my seibon hood. Can't wait to get them on. I will post pics when they get done in a couple weeks.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:43 AM
kenpo_350Z

Just picked the car up. It turned out really nice! He just said that the tape over the inside seem was pulling too hard and that caused the tear. He patched it and it was good to go

I also asked him about running the top when it is cold out. He said that it will make the hydrolic oil too cold and that will cause a lag in moving it up and down. That is why when it is warmer no problems.
Old 01-22-2009, 02:04 PM
Blooster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for posting - I didn't know small tears could be patched.

(No problems with my '05 after one seam-separation dealer replacement.)
Old 01-22-2009, 03:57 PM
E.F. VaBeach

Did it look like this ? I started a thread on this forum years ago when my 2004 Roadster developed this seam separation tear after about a year and a half. It got a lot of response, and many of us got the dealers to give us new tops under warranty. It's definitely a known original defect.
Attached Thumbnails tear in top-im000232.jpg   tear in top-im000234.jpg  
Old 01-22-2009, 04:00 PM
Phreakdout

Hmm. I'm not feeling to confident in this repair. The way the top folds is really hard on that spot. I think you just bought a little time.

I sincerely hope I'm wrong though. I had the same tiny tear and it spread quickly. I ended up buying a used top. The entire top with frame and bow motors for $500. I replaced it in less than 1 hour.

The new top

Last edited by Phreakdout; 01-22-2009 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2009, 04:53 PM
kenpo_350Z

Originally Posted by E.F. VaBeach
Did it look like this ? I started a thread on this forum years ago when my 2004 Roadster developed this seam separation tear after about a year and a half. It got a lot of response, and many of us got the dealers to give us new tops under warranty. It's definitely a known original defect.

This was the tear that I am talking about. Even if your car was out of warranty you could get it replaced?? I hope it did more than buy me some time but you never with that stuff. I am very happy with how it turned out though. He just said give it at least 24 hrs to settle then go crazy lol. It was so nice today finally I was sad I couldn't put it down, but at least I am worry free for a while.
Old 01-22-2009, 06:03 PM
E.F. VaBeach

Originally Posted by kenpo_350Z
This was the tear that I am talking about. Even if your car was out of warranty you could get it replaced?? I hope it did more than buy me some time but you never with that stuff. I am very happy with how it turned out though. He just said give it at least 24 hrs to settle then go crazy lol. It was so nice today finally I was sad I couldn't put it down, but at least I am worry free for a while.
I was happy to get a new top, but disappointed that the replacement one was the exact same design and construction. So far, though, the problem hasn't reappeared and I've been watching it closely. You may be OK since it sounds like that area has now been reinforced from the inside.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:12 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

kenpo....Good Luck, I hope it holds up for ya!
Old 01-23-2009, 07:24 AM
kenpo_350Z

Thanks sluggo I hope so too. I will just be more careful when I get the Z out and not put top down in cold weather.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:46 AM
maxpowers

I've had to replace two tops under warranty due to tears in the same spot. My third top (with the same construction design) is OK after two years. All the places I've gone to said they can't patch it, but if this is available, I wonder if its worth re-enforcing the problem area?
Old 01-26-2009, 12:56 PM
Mintaka

Default Tear in top

I'm new to the forum and I've been looking around the web to see if this is a common problem. You guys are the first place I've gotten a relevant hit. My top's stitching started loosening early on (just barely still in warranty) but the dealer said they could do nothing about it. This last fall (Her fourth 'birthday' I noticed the mechanism sticking while lowering the top. I just backtracked a few inches and it continued on down. I dropped it off at the dealer for some PM and asked that they look into the jamming. They saw that the window glass was binding and jamming the mechanism and they pointed out the tear at the lower corner of the window (which I hadn't noticed yet). The local service manager said He'd seen this problem and had replaced several tops.

So, my question is- has anyone gotten rebate/relief from NISSAN for the repairs? I'm certainly out of warranty but this sounds like a design flaw.

Thanks
Old 01-26-2009, 02:07 PM
sluggoZ

Originally Posted by Mintaka
I'm new to the forum and I've been looking around the web to see if this is a common problem. You guys are the first place I've gotten a relevant hit. My top's stitching started loosening early on (just barely still in warranty) but the dealer said they could do nothing about it. This last fall (Her fourth 'birthday' I noticed the mechanism sticking while lowering the top. I just backtracked a few inches and it continued on down. I dropped it off at the dealer for some PM and asked that they look into the jamming. They saw that the window glass was binding and jamming the mechanism and they pointed out the tear at the lower corner of the window (which I hadn't noticed yet). The local service manager said He'd seen this problem and had replaced several tops.

So, my question is- has anyone gotten rebate/relief from NISSAN for the repairs? I'm certainly out of warranty but this sounds like a design flaw.

Thanks
Sorry to say...NO!
Also sorry to say that it's your fault for not pursuing more action from your dealer & Nissan USA.

I had my top replaced even though there was just a very slight separation...this was a couple of years ago...
http://www.zcar.com/forums/read.php?...64199&t=164199

Good Luck!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:20 AM
kenpo_350Z

Just letting you guys know. It was so nice this weekend had my top down first time after the patch. Well it didn't hold. Looks like I will be saving up for a new top. Kind of a bummer.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:13 AM
sluggoZ

Just letting you guys know. It was so nice this weekend had my top down first time after the patch. Well it didn't hold. Looks like I will be saving up for a new top. Kind of a bummer.
Man, that sucks!
I would file a complaint with Nissan just for a matter of record....
Old 02-02-2009, 01:43 PM
Blooster

Thanks for testing the theory, anyway, and for sharing the results.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:49 AM
kenpo_350Z

Thats a good idea I will contact Nissan and see what they say.

Well it was def. worth a try!
Old 02-17-2009, 08:13 AM
skingy

Thats a good idea I will contact Nissan and see what they say.
any word on this?

i too have an '04 zr and what i believe to be a small tear in the exact same spot. and i'm out of warranty too....
Old 03-02-2009, 08:41 PM
Slickdvl

have the same stitch problem, passenger rear side. Took it to the dealer, they would not fix anything I brought in that day. Very dissappointing as I'm still fully warrantied. Anyone have contact information for a regional rep in NorthEast (I'm in LI/NY btw).
Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 PM
sluggoZ

Originally Posted by Slickdvl
have the same stitch problem, passenger rear side. Took it to the dealer, they would not fix anything I brought in that day. Very dissappointing as I'm still fully warrantied. Anyone have contact information for a regional rep in NorthEast (I'm in LI/NY btw).
I would call 1-800-nissan1 & open a file on your car's problem....they will get back to you.

Federal warranty law: http://www.ftc.gov
Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 PM
Slickdvl

thanks, I've been doing some more searching on the forum. Already have that number written down.

Quick Reply: tear in top