Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

You guys thinking of lighting up your windscreen?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003, 12:42 PM
MacGyver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, the 2004 S has some interesting differences...new front and rear, new head and taillights (now LED-based), interior trim has more silver stuff (not a good upgrade, IMO), a lowered redline to 8k, new dash layout, etc.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:05 PM
AustinS2k2003

Yes I'm the friend who has it It's by far the best and most complimentary mod I have done. Some Pics (the cams exposure was a little off:

Oh and Dan, IU and I will be happy to document his install if you walk us through

Originally posted by iu350Zatx
my friend has a s2k windscreen from MacGyver and it is AWESOME!!! whenever we go out for drives in the two cars, people always compliment his windscreen. i think it is a great mod and will be first on the list when MacGyver has a kit for the Z.

Last edited by AustinS2k2003; 10-27-2003 at 01:08 PM.
Old 10-28-2003, 10:35 PM
doodoostain

this is my first time posting anything on this site, but this thing is rather awesome and deserves note! when you get this thing together for the z, sign me up! how much will this set be? i saw that your deal for the s2k was like $170 . . . but if the z project will be self install, will it be cheaper? just wondering
Old 10-29-2003, 07:17 AM
MacGyver

Yeah, the S2k version was $170 shipped, but that included me installing it all in the windscreen mechanism, running the wiring, etc. A DIY kit would certainly cut back n the number of hours spent per screen (about 8 for the S). When you removed the price of components, S/H, etc. I made about as much as the local teenager working at McDonalds...but that project was never designed to make me money, just build up a clientelle list.

I haven't yet decided upon a price for the windscreen kit. While I won't be spending as much time working on each one, the components I'm using are now significantly more expensive. Prime example...the LEDs I use for the footwell lights cost me about $5/piece, and that's when I buy in HUGE bulk. I think they're worth every penny due to their brightness and controllability, but it's a pricey piece.
Old 10-29-2003, 10:19 AM
iu350Zatx

i've seen macgyver's work and i don't care how much it is ---> it will be worth it. now macgyver we do have a problem now though, i can't support work of a PU grad... especially with the old oaken bucket game coming up (ok, you guys will beat us by 50 points, but we will beat yall in basketball (the real sport)) just joking
Old 10-29-2003, 11:02 AM
AustinS2k2003

Damn straight Mike - GO IU!!!!

Staying on topic Dan's customer service is also simply awesome - he makes his customers feel like they are his only one! Don't have any reservations on buying this kit over the internet or anything like that cause Dan is a stand up guy who will go above and beyond for YOU!

Originally posted by iu350Zatx
i've seen macgyver's work and i don't care how much it is ---> it will be worth it. now macgyver we do have a problem now though, i can't support work of a PU grad... especially with the old oaken bucket game coming up (ok, you guys will beat us by 50 points, but we will beat yall in basketball (the real sport)) just joking
Old 10-29-2003, 11:13 AM
Jason B

Originally posted by AustinS2k2003

Staying on topic Dan's customer service is also simply awesome - he makes his customers feel like they are his only one! Don't have any reservations on buying this kit over the internet or anything like that cause Dan is a stand up guy who will go above and beyond for YOU!
I would have to agree with that. I'm very **** when it comes to my car. I notice everything. He does a very professional job and his products look OEM.
Old 10-29-2003, 11:49 AM
AustinS2k2003

DAmn dual post Sorry
Old 11-02-2003, 01:16 PM
MacGyver

Thanks guys, I appreciate the kind words. I DO try to make every client feel like they are the only one, and I believe it's because of that attitude I hear so many people now say "I don't care what Mac makes next, I want to be the first in line to buy it." I take my business seriously, due in part because I've been on the receiving end of a LOT of crappy business practices. To many places run their business with the mindset of "We can afford to lose a few pissed off people because there will be 20 more waiting to replace them." Your reputation is gold, and it only takes a "few" pissed off people before a deep tarnish sets in...I want the sparkling image so clients don't have to question themselves about purchasing a product of mine.

I'm making some decent progress on the footwell lights, so wait until you see those in a couple of weeks Not to mention a new & improved version of the windscreen lights shortly thereafter
Old 11-03-2003, 12:14 AM
seanrulz

i can't support work of a PU grad... especially with the old oaken bucket game coming up (ok, you guys will beat us by 50 points, but we will beat yall in basketball (the real sport)) just joking

DAMN RIGHT!!!! IU Rulz!!!

-Senior IU Student majoring SPEA Financial Management here -

Good to see you Hoosier guys!!!

How come you guys are all in TX tho? I assume you guys all graduated eh?
Old 11-11-2003, 02:36 PM
AustinS2k2003

I moved to texas less than a year after I got out of school in '00. Mike moved down here this year for a job with my company Texas is so much better than Indiana to live in once you get out of school

Originally posted by seanrulz
DAMN RIGHT!!!! IU Rulz!!!

-Senior IU Student majoring SPEA Financial Management here -

Good to see you Hoosier guys!!!

How come you guys are all in TX tho? I assume you guys all graduated eh?
Old 11-11-2003, 08:38 PM
MacGyver

My parents came for a visit shortly before they left on a two week cruise...they were kind enough to bring my diploma down with them (just came in the mail...Purdue is slooooow ).
Old 12-03-2003, 07:45 PM
BIGDAWG75

got a cs touring, at, blue top, nav ready for delivery at msrp. we can work out delivery fee or you can pick up, if you're still looking.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:22 PM
MacGyver

BD,

I'm not quite sure what you're offering here...if you're in NC, that's a loooong drive for a windscreen install

I had actually forgotten about this thread, but I have some decent news. Not more than 30 minutes ago I made a major breakthrough with the prototype digital controller. I'm finally able to cycle through the rainbow using the buttons. There are still a few issues to work through before Programming Mode is finished, but the breakthrough tonight was a good sign.

If anyone is interested in brushing up on my trials and tribulations, feel free to check out the thread on s2ki.com...

Prototype Stage : MacGyver's Footwell Lights

I hate to put a date on it anymore as I said well over a month ago it would only be a few more weeks (progress has no patience, eh?), but I REALLY hope to have it finished with all of the bells and whistles by the beginning of the new year.

All I know is, fulfilling the pre-orders alone is going to be the death of me
Old 12-04-2003, 06:46 AM
BIGDAWG75

I was answering a different thread somehow ended up here? I am intrigued by your reasearch look forward to following your progress!
Old 12-23-2003, 01:49 PM
Kas-Z
Banned

what ever happened with this? I would defenitely get this for my car when i get it.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:37 PM
MacGyver

It's a work in progress...I stopped selling my original analog design in favor of a more powerful digital controller. Unfortunately I have been sidetracked with getting the business itself going as opposed to the products themselves. I now have a basic website up and running ( http://www.Hi-TecDesigns.com ), and I'm currently in the process of filling out all of the forms for business licenses, etc. I've also been in negotiation for some first-round funding to pay for the initial board run.

Over the last several weeks I have redesigned portions of the circuit to give me greater freedom. If the real product holds true to my preliminary design, the same controller an be used for any length of LED chain. This means not only will the windscreen lights and footwell lights come out at the same time, but a complete underbody light set will be available, as well (I've received a surprising number of requests for the underbody lights).

I hate to say "Coming soon" because I start to look like the rest of the ****-poor vendors out there who play the same game but never come out with a product, but there WILL be several products coming out of this. If you'd like to keep up on my progress with my controller design, check out the thread listed 3 posts above...I tend to update that one more often than any other.
Old 12-23-2003, 02:41 PM
MacGyver

Oh, I forgot to mention...with the deal I'm working out, the entire setup will appear at my door completely assembled which means I won't have to kill myself filling orders. I merely pack them in a box and ship them off. This also means quality assurance will be higher since someone else (who's not tired all of the time) will be doing the electrical testing
Old 12-29-2003, 11:17 AM
Dunc

Default Wind Screen lights for 350ZR

Any pic's of light kit applied to a 350ZR wind screen yet ?
Old 12-29-2003, 01:28 PM
MacGyver

I don't have a production quality setup yet, so sorry, no pics on anything other than an S2000.

I was on the phone earlier today seeing what else I need to do so the ball keeps rolling. Skipping all of the details, I'll be spending the next several days trying to ring in the New Year AND working on the financial data. Things are getting interesting...

Quick Reply: You guys thinking of lighting up your windscreen?