Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

You guys thinking of lighting up your windscreen?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2003, 07:57 AM
afr0puff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb You guys thinking of lighting up your windscreen?

I would do this in a heartbeat if I had the car, but it maybe ripping off the S2000 guys. Who cares though?

It lights up slightly red when driving, and really lights up red when applying the brakes. This one guy also has it turn white when you are in reverse. The Z wind deflector has the Z logo etched, right?

Thread 1

Thread 2

Last edited by afr0puff; 09-24-2003 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-24-2003, 09:40 AM
jackl

WOW, thats neat. Never thought of it before but I'll bet it would really look great. I may have to give it a try......
Old 09-24-2003, 05:12 PM
jgraeb01

This is pretty cool! I messed with LED's for one of my Saltwater Fish Tanks (moonlight, etc). I can build the circuit board; too bad they didn't show where the LED's were mounted though.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:40 PM
Jason B

Some pics of mine:

Not lit:

Lit:

Old 10-20-2003, 03:59 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Where are the LEDs?

Can you show where the LEDs are?

I am curious how you got it to light up so well.
Old 10-20-2003, 07:50 AM
Jason B

You can't see them, they are hidden in the base.
Old 10-20-2003, 10:15 AM
aestus

How could we do this with the Z?

Is there any way to get under the glass? or does it need to be pulled up?
Old 10-20-2003, 10:17 AM
Jason B

The glass/base will need to be taken a apart to do this mod.
Old 10-21-2003, 11:59 PM
3ngin33r1

Here is a link to MacGyver's thread over at s2ki.com on his project, you may want to contact him and see if he has any interest in starting this project for you folks. In reality, it would probably depend more on your interest in him doing it and he will probably need someone locally with a Z so that he can test it all out before going into production.

http://forums.s2ki.com/forums/showth...hreadid=138320
Old 10-22-2003, 12:38 PM
z0ner

That would be a kick-*** mod. As long as I don't have to take apart the entire car I'd be down for this in a heartbeat.
Old 10-22-2003, 03:34 PM
3ngin33r1

If someone could give me a picture of the screen, I'll try and work with him on it.
Old 10-22-2003, 06:27 PM
MacGyver

Many thanks to Marcus for pointing me to the Z boards...I registered a while back but haven't really spent much time here (spending too much time working on my projects).

I'm currently working on a digital controller for some footwell lights, but more about that later. The controller was designed from the beginning to eventually be used as part of a "new and improved" windscreen controller to replace the current analog design, but at the time it was so far off that I have continued to sell the analog unit.

I have a prototype board (actually, it's the same board that will be used in the production run) already put together, but the code is still in the works. I hope to have that ready in the next couple of weeks. With the S2000, members would send me their windscreen mechanisms, I would modify it appropriately, and send it back to them. Obviously this isn't an option with the Z since your windscreen is integrated into the rool hoop structure.

However, all hope is not lost. While the footwell lights are my priority at the moment, only a minor change in code is necessary (a day or two of coding) to make it work as a windscreen controller. That being the case, both the footwell lights and the windscreen controller for the Z will be offered as a kit, complete with install instructions.

afr0puff was partially correct in the screen's operation, but I believe he missed some very useful points. First, what Jason's post does not show is the various color options...you can display practically any color of the rainbow just by adjusting the pots. The new digital box will make this adjustment just a little bit easier. In fact, here's an animated GIF of a custom cut screen showing a few of the possible colors:

While the analog control box didn't cycle in color, the digital would allow me to do that (althugh I haven't yet decided if I want to offer that as an option). The great thing is you don't have to choose a single color when purchasing the screen only to regret that color decision a few days later...if you don't like the color, you have complete control over changing it.

Second, when you hit the brake the screen turns red (but it doesn't have to, just leave the brake wire unattached if you don't like it).

Third, the analog control box wouldn't easily allow this, but the digital box will...you can have the screen turn white when the car is put into reverse.

Disabling of the softtop when the screen is tilted back is a useful option for the S (to prevent the softtop from breaking full-height screens), but seems pointless for the Z, so it won't be included.

I will try to keep you guys updated on this one, but you might have more luck finding recent info by checking out my thread on S2ki on the footwell lights.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them here.
Old 10-23-2003, 04:32 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default interested

Originally posted by MacGyver
Many thanks to Marcus for pointing me to the Z boards...I registered a while back but haven't really spent much time here (spending too much time working on my projects).

I am definetely interested. Please keep us up to date!

Hopefully someone with a Z Roadster will be able to help you out.

I looked at mine briefly (it is only 3 days old) and I wasn't able to spot how that windscreen comes out. If we get some good weather I will look again. But this morning is was 36 degrees in my driveway.
Old 10-23-2003, 06:22 AM
Chasw1269

I'm currently working on a digital controller for some footwell lights, but more about that later. The controller was designed from the beginning to eventually be used as part of a "new and improved" windscreen controller to replace the current analog design, but at the time it was so far off that I have continued to sell the analog unit.

I have a prototype board (actually, it's the same board that will be used in the production run) already put together, but the code is still in the works. I hope to have that ready in the next couple of weeks. With the S2000, members would send me their windscreen mechanisms, I would modify it appropriately, and send it back to them. Obviously this isn't an option with the Z since your windscreen is integrated into the rool hoop structure.

However, all hope is not lost. While the footwell lights are my priority at the moment, only a minor change in code is necessary (a day or two of coding) to make it work as a windscreen controller. That being the case, both the footwell lights and the windscreen controller for the Z will be offered as a kit, complete with install instructions.

afr0puff was partially correct in the screen's operation, but I believe he missed some very useful points. First, what Jason's post does not show is the various color options...you can display practically any color of the rainbow just by adjusting the pots. The new digital box will make this adjustment just a little bit easier. In fact, here's an animated GIF of a custom cut screen showing a few of the possible colors:

While the analog control box didn't cycle in color, the digital would allow me to do that (althugh I haven't yet decided if I want to offer that as an option). The great thing is you don't have to choose a single color when purchasing the screen only to regret that color decision a few days later...if you don't like the color, you have complete control over changing it.

Second, when you hit the brake the screen turns red (but it doesn't have to, just leave the brake wire unattached if you don't like it).

Third, the analog control box wouldn't easily allow this, but the digital box will...you can have the screen turn white when the car is put into reverse.

Disabling of the softtop when the screen is tilted back is a useful option for the S (to prevent the softtop from breaking full-height screens), but seems pointless for the Z, so it won't be included.

I will try to keep you guys updated on this one, but you might have more luck finding recent info by checking out my thread on S2ki on the footwell lights.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them here.
Any idea how long until you can have the kit available for the Z?
Old 10-23-2003, 07:19 AM
MacGyver

Andy, I don't believe the screen comes out on the Z, hence my desire to create a kit the buyer can install themselves. It will require the removal of some internal body panels (like the roll hoop cover), but I hope to find a local owner willing to let me install one and take some pics as I go.

Chas, I put together a prototype board and LED strings a few days ago, just in time for me to move to a new place If I can get the little woman off of my back about unpacking stuff, I'll start working on the code again and make sure I can program this board. I think 2-3 weeks should be sufficient for me to finish up the code...once that's done, I have about 30 units I can immediately put together and sell.

I was too tired last night to take pics (not to mention I was nursing a major headache from a mild concussion), so I'll try for some today (assuming I can find my camera and cables).
Old 10-23-2003, 08:23 AM
Chasw1269

Andy, I don't believe the screen comes out on the Z, hence my desire to create a kit the buyer can install themselves. It will require the removal of some internal body panels (like the roll hoop cover), but I hope to find a local owner willing to let me install one and take some pics as I go.

Chas, I put together a prototype board and LED strings a few days ago, just in time for me to move to a new place If I can get the little woman off of my back about unpacking stuff, I'll start working on the code again and make sure I can program this board. I think 2-3 weeks should be sufficient for me to finish up the code...once that's done, I have about 30 units I can immediately put together and sell.

I was too tired last night to take pics (not to mention I was nursing a major headache from a mild concussion), so I'll try for some today (assuming I can find my camera and cables).
Great! (the two - three weeks,not the concussion!). I would love to get the kit from you. Please, let us know when you have it ready, I'm very interested in this.

Thanks!
Chas
Old 10-23-2003, 06:18 PM
MacGyver

For those interested in the footwell lights, here's a pic of the controller board out of the box and the two LED strings...

I placed the penny there for size reference. the white strip between the 2 LEDs on each string is there for flexibility. You can point each LED in whatever direction you want...wrap it around a pole and aim them in opposite directions, twist them to light up the floor and sidewall, or aim them both in the same direction for an even brighter light.

I didn't take a pic of the other side with the hat switch since it's not installed on this prototype yet (I want to play with other portions of the code first).

Feel free to ask any questions...
Old 10-27-2003, 07:55 AM
iu350Zatx

my friend has a s2k windscreen from MacGyver and it is AWESOME!!! whenever we go out for drives in the two cars, people always compliment his windscreen. i think it is a great mod and will be first on the list when MacGyver has a kit for the Z.
Old 10-27-2003, 09:24 AM
MacGyver

Thanks iu, from a transplanted Boilermaker The footwell lights will be the first to hit the market, but expect the winscreen for the Z to be ready a week after that. The only issue I can see holding back a kit is the lack of install instructions...no one locally has stepped up to the plate to help me take pics.
Old 10-27-2003, 10:11 AM
jgraeb01

Hey Mac, you're not that far from me ... If I had a 350ZR, I'd like you take all the pictures you wanted.

Unfortunately, everyone down here wants $5k+ FYC/DAP on the Roadsters, which is putting back my schedule for purchasing one.

Unless I can find a good deal on one soon, I might just go for the S2k until things settle down demand-wise. I hear the 2004 models are due for some changes.

Joe

Quick Reply: You guys thinking of lighting up your windscreen?