Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Top open indicator light won't shut automatically

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 05:53 AM
joeNJ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top open indicator light won't shut automatically

When opening the top all is well except that the indicator light on the dash doesn't go out at the end of the sequernce. If i push down on the passenger side of the cover I hear a slight click and it goes out. It seems that it needs just a little more pressure when closing the lid. All else works fine.

Is there any slight adjustment that would fix this?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2009, 04:11 PM
gregom

Hmm sounds like the top isn't compressing well. It's summer so i'm assuming its quite warm outside when your doing this... because when its cooler than about 50 F then the top material is stiffer and harder, and doesn't compress as easilly when putting the top down.

You may try starting to close the top, enough for the top to start to come back out then try to close again. That's what I do when its cool and that works fine.

Either that or you have one or motors getting weak and is not putting the top down far enough....

I'm not aware of any 'adjustments' you can make though that would help. If it continues to be a problem you might need to take it into a shop that knows what they are doing when it comes to convertibles.

GL...
Old 09-04-2009, 12:51 PM
SHILOW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with gregom. This is probably caused by the top not folding as flat as before. The first thing I would check is the elastic bands that connect bow to bow. Durring the opening process the bands pull the bow together as it folds. If the elasticity is worn then the top will not fold as flat. Try pushing on the front bow with your right hand as the top opens.
Old 09-04-2009, 02:02 PM
AreYouAMac

It's happening to me once I installed another top - When I press on the passenger side - I hear the clock too.

I do not think that the motor is getting weaker - POSSIBLY SO THOUGH - My top has been on for almost a month now.

I did this once - left the top down overnight in my garage. When I closed it and then reopened it - it closed the first time - but the next day - the problem persisted. I think it might have to do something with the rear window getting in the way of the top closing all the way down.

Other than that - I am thinking of replacing the weather strips. Tell me what you think.

Hit me back up if you tried anything to work.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:02 AM
joeNJ

I lubed the top hinges & made sure the hooks on the cover lined up with the latches. It works most of the time now. Every once in a while I have to get out & give the cover a little push on the passenger side to get the light to go out.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:32 AM
MB33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is happening to me now might need some lube and give it a shot
Old 02-24-2010, 06:53 PM
gregom

Back from the dead...

If it is cold outside this is probably somewhat normal. It's not good on the top to put it up/down in cold temperatures, the stiffness of the material causes extra strain on the motors and will likely shorten their lifespan.

I personally don't put my top down unless the temp is 45 F or higher. I know the manual says 32 F but I had problems with that and it's too damn cold anyway. If we had Mercedes Benz "Airscarf" vents in the headrests it'd be fine... but 45 F + for me only, windows up, heater on... i'm comfortable.