Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Subs in the ZR and other Audio stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 04:07 PM
Smasher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Subs in the ZR and other Audio stuff

I'm posting this in ths ZR section but mods may move it to audio.

I searched and could not find a thread that had any tips on how to make sub boxs for the ZR tha fire into the back of the seats so i thought to post my progress. I had a Sub box hidden in the oem spot that a shop did for me some time ago. This time i am doing this myself to save a lot of money,

I got some good deals on some Audio stuff off ebay on order to match my system and started taking things apart today.

I am adding a second sub into the Glove box behind the passenger seat and will make new boxes so the subs fire into the back of the seats. These will be visable vs hidden. Not sure what the end result will look like it will be a design as you go. Maybe fibreglass or cover in leather will have to see.

Picked up another Phoenix Gold Mono amp to power the extra sub as well so the whole rear Amp rack will have to be re-built as well.

Kenwood Nav and Blue tooth Modules will be going in to the Kenwood deck.

You know how it goes I was only looking for the blue tooth Module and before you know it all this......

Picked up some MDF and will start on the boxes tomorrow.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:10 PM
Smasher

New Equip came in this week
Old 02-06-2010, 04:13 PM
Smasher

Made some progress today but its really cold out.. I am going to make sealed boxes for these subs. The mfg recommends 0.5cu ft. The box that the single sub was in was close to 1.0 cu ft.

To make sealed boxes and have them fire into the cabin behind the seats is harder than I was hoping. The space is rectangular and only 8" high by about 20 wide. It's fine on the width for the 10 " sub but not near enough room in height. You will see that I have to stack an extra panel on top of the first one and will need to make a cover panel later to hide the metal and stuff. I am a little worried that with the odd shape I may be inhibiting some sound in the box if you know what I mean from the pics.

Everything is on two angles and is complicating things. Using the stock screw holes is nice but it took a lot of time to line them up as im working from the front and can't get in behind to mark them well so i inserted the bolts from the back side and used a dab of tooth past on top of the bolts to leave a mark were to drill the holes. Like i said the angles of the sheet metal is a PITA.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:16 PM
Smasher

The speaker is just sitting in hear for a test fit I still have to make the boxes behind and the full cover plate etc etc.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:18 PM
Smasher

Couple shots testing out how the speaker will fit in this cover and getting an idea how the sealed box will line up and still be able to slide into the narrow space.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:58 PM
richcity

Looks good so far, Good Luck. Keep us posted!
Old 02-06-2010, 08:03 PM
_STEVEO_01

Subscribed...
Old 02-06-2010, 08:11 PM
SatchScream

Looking good so far.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:54 PM
gregom

Wow... awesome. Glad to see someone has the ***** to do this! Thanks for sharing thus far, hope to see the rest.
Old 02-07-2010, 01:01 PM
Smasher

Got the face plate cut to size today and marked the cut outs for the speakers. Marking the cut outs for the speakers was tricky since the holes are on the back and you can't get to them. I first positioned the middle panels where they need to be by using a couple nails as dowels. Then when the top plate is on I carefully drilled 4 holes so that I could screw the top plate into the middle plates. When I lifted out the top plate the two middle plates were atatched and all i had to do is draw the circles.

Hope to cut the holes out and make the boxes next weekend.

I am planning to wrap this top cover in CF when done.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:41 PM
Smasher

Pics of the current amp rack. I will have to completly rebuild this to fit the second 300.1 Phoenix gold mono amp.

Old 02-07-2010, 01:59 PM
SlideFox

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

In.....
Old 02-08-2010, 11:26 AM
ekelly36

nice work so far.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Smasher

I made the boxes but then ran into a problem. With the angle of the front panel and the angle of the box the magnet from the woofer hits the bottom of the box so the speaker won't slide in all the way. I did think about this before and thought I needed more speaker rings as it turns out I did.

Old 02-15-2010, 05:08 PM
Smasher

I had some speaker rings made up but needed to finish them. They were not the length of the full panel so I used them in between the front panel and the back panel. It does not look pretty but it works. The speaker now slides all the way in. I had to take off the fancy rubber magnet cover to get extra room and avoid going to 5 rings. The whole assembly is 1 1/2" bigger with the extra rings and messes up my final top cover. Not to sure if I can salvage it yet. These boxes are kinda heavy now with these ring plates.
Glue is setting up now so close to getting these mounted to see how it sounds. This has been a lot of work so far so I hope this works out ok.

Old 02-19-2010, 04:39 PM
Smasher

Mounted the driver side today and man is it loud!! I had to turn the bass down from flat a couple notches and I didn't even turn it up all the way yet. The bass drives right through the seat and into the cabin. The difference is Amazing vs the sub that was hidden. The vibrations through the seat are crazy.

I will see if i can temp hook up the second sub amp tomorrow and try it out with bith subs.

The Nav and Blue tooth are hooked up as well now.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:04 PM
gregom

Nice... looks awesome, sounds like it is too. Wish I had the money to do this. Will have to bookmark your thread for a future project.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:56 PM
Smasher

Thanks man.

Some of this was really expensive (Buying through a car audio shop) but I got really good deals off ebay and kijji for the second amp and woofer. When I first bough the system the Woofer was $200 and the one Mono amp was ~400. I was able to find the same Phoenix gold woofer on ebay for only $59 US and the amp for only $129 CDN. Of course I had to pay for duty and shipping but this still worked out to be less than half what I paid before.

I paid $400 bucks for the original box made through a car audio shop. These two boxes only cost me one sheet of MDF for maybe $35 and a lot of time.

I should have done this all on my own the first time but it has been a very very long time since I did any car stereo stuff and I thought I was out of date. I didn't want to mess up the car either. Not much has changed really ther are just more options, heavier wires and fancy boxes.
Old 02-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Smasher

List of equip when all complete
 Kenwood DDX-7019 7’’ Touch screen DVD/CD/MP3
 Kenwood KCA-BT200 Blue tooth
 Kenwood KNA-G510 Navigation system
 Kenwood IPOD and USB Cables,
 Phoenix Gold 4 Channel Amp RSD300.4 Custom mounting in trunk,
 X2 Phoenix Gold Mono Block Amp RSD300.1 Custom mounting in trunk,
 X2 Phoenix Gold 10” Woofer RSD-10D in Custom Sub enclosure,
 Hertz Audio High Energy 6 ½ and Tweeter combo kit HSK-165 in Doors,
 Hertz Audio High Energy 6 ½ Co Axial Speakers
Old 02-20-2010, 10:25 AM
gregom

Awesome! Thanks for posting the info. I've always felt the stock audio system was just inadequate. One of these days....

I bet it sounds great now! Will be such a pleasure to drive with a good sounding system. But you still have to turn it off when driving through a long tunnel with the top down at full throttle. Nothing can make up for that sound!

Quick Reply: Subs in the ZR and other Audio stuff