Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Anybody Install Rear Struct Extenders?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:33 AM
vtchang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anybody Install Rear Struct Extenders?

I am trying to install some rear extenders for dampeners with top mounted adjusters on the Roadster. I would much rather drill a few holes than spend $1500+ on coilovers with bottom adjusters.

I haven't been able to find any information on this site or the internet for that matter regarding where to drill pilot holes. There is plenty of information for coupes and even G's but nothing for the roadster.

Ideally, i'd like to mount the extenders in the trunk but i don't mind putting it in the drop top storage compartment.

So far, i've taken the rear structs off along with all the padding in the trunk. It seems as though (if the extension + struct piston will fit in the hole. I suspect there will be a height issue) that I should be able to drill a hole straight back (towards the rear of the car) and mount the extension on the front end of the trunk.

Has anybody done this? or even tried?

Thanks.

-Ray
Old 02-08-2010, 07:35 AM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

does the roadster have the strut bar?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:56 AM
vtchang

I have no idea. The area where a struct bar would be is enclosed and sandwiched by the drop top compartment and trunk. I'd like to say that there is but I don't know for sure. I haven't been able to find any chassis diagrams.

Area between trunk and tonneau cover.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Motormouth
Banned

hmm, I've never thought about roadsters much. haven't looked in a trunk in a long while.
Old 02-08-2010, 08:44 AM
gerryg2153

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that you best bet is to go from where the top goes. As you have found out there is no access to the top of the rear shocks. They are in a dead space between the trunk and the hole for the top- but I think they are higher that you can get access from the trunk- As for location, if you take the top of the shock out you can work a wire from the mount to the area where the top goes- and get an idea where to drill.

I got the Tenabe 5's with the controllers so I just needed to fish the wires through. . . There is not a lot of space above the top of the shocks. . . .
good luck
Old 02-08-2010, 10:27 AM
vtchang

Originally Posted by gerryg2153
I think that you best bet is to go from where the top goes. As you have found out there is no access to the top of the rear shocks. They are in a dead space between the trunk and the hole for the top- but I think they are higher that you can get access from the trunk- As for location, if you take the top of the shock out you can work a wire from the mount to the area where the top goes- and get an idea where to drill.

I got the Tenabe 5's with the controllers so I just needed to fish the wires through. . . There is not a lot of space above the top of the shocks. . . .
good luck
Do you have pictures of your setup? Where did you drill from within the drop top storage compartment?
Old 02-08-2010, 01:09 PM
Motormouth
Banned

those adjusters are more problems then they are worth, and I would consider just not installing them.

dropping the rear dampener is a cinch, if you need to adjust them, which you shouldn't need to after the initial tuning very often.

just my unsolicited two cents
Old 02-08-2010, 06:58 PM
vtchang

I have some good news and some bad news. Good news is that I know it will work. Bad news is that I broke the extender in such a fashion that I don't know how to piece it back together. Simply ordering a new one will not fix the problem.

Details:

Initial measurements.
Strut piston shaft = ~2.25"

Clearance available = ~ 3.375"

Tokico extenders on piston shaft = ~3.75"

3.75" > 3.375" therefore, will not fit

Removed securing nut to allow for more flexibility.

OMG, is it going to fit?

Unfortunately not... the SS that enclosed the actual extender shaft was too bulky.

The flexibility difference.

Moving on...

Lets find a hole. Conveniently one of the push pin holes led right into the area of nothingness.

Coming back to the extenders... Cut the extender shaft to remove SS casing.

Now im stuck... I don't know a good way to remove what was left from the cut from within the extender's pin (if thats what it is called) so that I can reattach the extender shaft into the pin.

Help?

-Ray
Old 02-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Motormouth
Banned

I am just going to say that I called it.

good luck. you might be able to order the piece that inserts and rebuild it.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:04 AM
vtchang

I am going to try and drill through it or weld an allen key to it. I just need to find a drill press or bench vise.
Old 02-09-2010, 06:28 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Motormouth
those adjusters are more problems then they are worth, and I would consider just not installing them.

dropping the rear dampener is a cinch, if you need to adjust them, which you shouldn't need to after the initial tuning very often.

just my unsolicited two cents
I AGREE!! how often do you track your car, that you would want to adjust so much......i have a coupe and adjust often depending on track, but if its a daily driven car......i would just remove the two nuts from the studs and adjust as needed/when needed.

if tracked often, then get their early and do what you gotta do for having a roadster.....its not that hard...

NOw, i dont own a roadster, and i would really like to look at one to really get a fell for the depth, space, cavity and room you took pictures of.....

BUT you also mention:

Originally Posted by vtchang
Tokico extenders on piston shaft = ~3.75"

3.75" > 3.375" therefore, will not fit
you could get a plate aluminum 3/8 thick (.375) which is the difference in gap needed and mount it in between the shock top plate and the car body.

it appears as the oem studs hanging down are long enough to handle a plate spacer if needed.

OF COURSE - your shocks would have to be height adjsutable to make the up difference by turning the lower shock body......I dont know what you have, but i know my rear coilovers could be adjusted that way.........thats why i bring this option up.

OR

why not cut an access hole here:

Then do a doubler welded reinforcement.

not sure about fixing the extender or its assembly......i would have to be there but it looks like your also on to something there for sure...good luck with it..

This is what i did with my car - of course i have a coupe Z:

-J
Attached Thumbnails Anybody Install Rear Struct Extenders?-20447_837868852003_6205016_46098330_1557071_n.jpg   Anybody Install Rear Struct Extenders?-img_2595.jpg   Anybody Install Rear Struct Extenders?-img_2597.jpg   Anybody Install Rear Struct Extenders?-img_2615.jpg  
Old 02-09-2010, 07:03 AM
vtchang

I completely agree with that statement. I've been running this setup without extenders for a few months. I just wanted to do something different and document it for other curious owners. We got 30" of snow here, so the Z isn't going anywhere anytime soon. Might as well put it under the knife.

@JaysonZ-YA

Thanks for the suggestions, however the structs are not height adjustable, therefore I cannot use the plating idea.

Cutting a hole to gain access could work, but then you would need a hole big enough to feed through a set of pliers and be able to turn it side to side. Cutting a hole that big is something im not comfortable with (right now at least).

That is a bigggggg hole. Why not just drill a 1/2" hole and use a longer allen wrench?

Last edited by vtchang; 02-09-2010 at 07:06 AM. Reason: i can't spell
Old 02-09-2010, 07:05 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

what about from the trunk side?? no access from there??

-J
Old 02-09-2010, 07:08 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

That is a bigggggg hole. Why not just drill a 1/2" hole and use a longer allen wrench?
cause i have a Nissan Design engineer buddy that told me the reason that steel stamp impression is even there to begin with was because they originally wanted to sell the Z with the option of having adjustable shocks............that idea got scrapped and the hole was omitted from the process at the plant....

so knowing the Z was originally meant to have a hole there doesn't bother me to cut one.....

-J
Old 02-09-2010, 07:09 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

@JaysonZ-YA

Cutting a hole to gain access could work, but then you would need a hole big enough to feed through a set of pliers and be able to turn it side to side. Cutting a hole that big is something im not comfortable with (right now at least).
what about big enough that you left an allen key on it at all times?

sorry, its hard for me to really realize with out being there.........just doing my best to help..

-J
Old 02-09-2010, 07:16 AM
vtchang

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
what about from the trunk side?? no access from there??

-J
Unfortunately the layout won't allow me to feed anything towards the trunk. Notice my crude diagram. The downwards slope of the tonneau cover and trunk takes away any space that is required to feed wire towards the back of the car. The green area is the only available space to play with. The diagram is not to scale and its hard for me to get exact measurements from within that cavity. However, based on the few trials and error attempts last night, i've concluded that the only place to put the extenders is within the drop top compartment.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody Install Rear Struct Extenders?-space_diagram.png  
Old 02-09-2010, 07:20 AM
vtchang

so knowing the Z was originally meant to have a hole there doesn't bother me to cut one.....
gotcha

what about big enough that you left an allen key on it at all times?

sorry, its hard for me to really realize with out being there.........just doing my best to help..
if I left an allen key in there at all time, i would still have to use a set of pliers to turn it.

I really do appreciate the feed back Keep the suggestions flowing.
Old 02-09-2010, 07:22 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ okay, gotcha......

The green area......is that the exterior painted top area......outside body of car?

-J
Old 02-09-2010, 07:27 AM
vtchang

Originally Posted by JasonZ-YA
^ okay, gotcha......

The green area......is that the exterior painted top area......outside body of car?

-J
I think I know what you're talking about. But to make sure. The green area is UNDER the red area in the picture.
Attached Thumbnails Anybody Install Rear Struct Extenders?-dead_space.jpg  

Last edited by vtchang; 02-09-2010 at 07:28 AM. Reason: added "under"
Old 02-09-2010, 07:31 AM
JasonZ-YA
350Z-holic

^ can you take a farther back pic? of where thats at??

can you drill a hole there in the green area/red area to access them?? what covers that area up? is that just the outside of the car?

can you point to where on these pics? http://www.seriouswheels.com/pics-mn...r-1024x768.jpg
http://l.yimg.com/dv/izp/nissan_350z...ther_trunk.jpg

I remember seeing an Options video where the track prep'd Z had extenders poking outof the hatch on a coupe z.......was grommeted and sealed well......I guess the never open the hatch...or take them off to do so..
-J

Last edited by JasonZ-YA; 02-09-2010 at 07:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Anybody Install Rear Struct Extenders?