Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

So what is cold?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 08:51 AM
john.laninga

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So what is cold?

Last week I drove to work with the top down. It was 40F out, I had the windows up, the seats on low, and heat on low and I was perfectly fine. People at work thought I was crazy, but I enjoyed my ride in anyway.

This AM it was 32F, so I left the top up. Does that make me a ZR weenie? Am I a fair weather ZR'er? What is too cold?
Old 12-03-2003, 11:01 AM
Beaker02

Took the coupe to Mammoth for the Turkey weekend. Got down to 12 on the pass at night. Coldest i've driven the car. Still a very very warm cockpit inside. Loved my heated seats on the trip.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:04 AM
saizzz

I received a similar reaction when my wife and I took a two hour trip to visit family on thanksgiving. It was about 50F but the sun was out--with a hat, sweater and the seat warmers; a very comfortable trip. Everyone thought I was crazy and wanted to know why I'd drive with the top down and the heater on.

For me, the convertible isn't just for warm days. It is about the feeling of open air, the sounds and smells, etc. Guess some people just don't get it and there is no use trying to explain.

How cold is too cold? For me, that depends on my mood, how I am dressed, sunny or overcast, etc.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:01 PM
noel48

Is there a minimum temp in which you should not lower or raise the top?I know when I had a Miata the top shouldn't be lowered or raised below 40 degrees.I had a cloth top.
Old 12-03-2003, 05:56 PM
ragtopz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sometimes during the winter time, it get to the mid to low 60s, i just turn on the heater and i am fine with the top down.

i couldnt even imagine what it would be like driving around in 40 degree weather with the convertible top down.

about the minimun temperature it shouldnt be lowered... i didnt check that part of the manual because i know i will never hit it here in hawaii... so, sorry dont know.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:02 PM
Richardew

noel - did the Miata have a plastic rear window. That may be the limiting factor. That's what it says in my Porsche manuals. You can't raise or lower the top below 40 because the plastic window is too brittle. I don't believe that the top material is affected by the lower temperatures. I've traveled top down in the 40's. The wind chill can be significant at high speeds. Anybody tried driving in the rain with the top down? Once you are going over 40-50 mph the rain doesn't come in the car. You really get some stares then. Can't wait for my ZR to arrive. Should be here in Jan or Feb. Would love to take part in a top down Z caravan in the middle of the winter
Rich
Old 12-03-2003, 09:47 PM
Paul_BB_Guy

The manual states on page 3-19:
CAUTION
Do not operate the top when the temperature is below 32F (0C). This may result in damage to the top material or operating system.
Old 12-04-2003, 01:18 AM
noel48

Originally posted by Richardew
noel - did the Miata have a plastic rear window. That may be the limiting factor. That's what it says in my Porsche manuals. You can't raise or lower the top below 40 because the plastic window is too brittle. I don't believe that the top material is affected by the lower temperatures. I've traveled top down in the 40's. The wind chill can be significant at high speeds. Anybody tried driving in the rain with the top down? Once you are going over 40-50 mph the rain doesn't come in the car. You really get some stares then. Can't wait for my ZR to arrive. Should be here in Jan or Feb. Would love to take part in a top down Z caravan in the middle of the winter
Rich
Rich,miata had glass window.
Old 12-25-2003, 07:08 PM
zmann

I'm still trying to determine how cold is "too cold" for the top down. The coldest I've driven with top down was approx. 35 degrees farenheit at night. I had my knit cap on, leather jacket, driving gloves, windows up, seat warmers on, and heat @ 75 degrees. It was a little chilly on my face, but not uncomfortable by any means. 50 degrees and sunny is absolutely perfect! I've done 40 degrees and sunny, too and that works, as well! I expect the stares...people that haven't experienced the roadster can't be expected to understand. Their perspective is very different. I've learned that not all convertibles manage the airflow in the cabin as well as the Z, either; that's another benefit we have. We sit low, the air is managed, and we have bun-warmers (well, some of us do). I have the opinion as the guy who made the comment that the convertible is just not a summer car. I love to be open to the air and sounds. And actually, in winter, the air seems fresher. If I'm properly attired, I'll drop the top on any given day. Guess not below 32 degrees, though, if that's what they say. But I got darn close to that!!!