Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Top Sticks when Going Down

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 08:42 PM
Gus5199

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dfresh713
My '05 has the same issue. When I bought the car from the dealer, it wouldnt go down on the first try. The issue seems to be when it is cold.
top wont go down if temperature its 60 F or less.. i cant remeber where i read it but its true..
Old 06-20-2011, 08:44 PM
Gus5199

Originally Posted by Gus5199
top wont go down if temperature its 60 F or less.. i cant remeber where i read it but its true..
it will go down, once it gets stuck just put it back up a little bit, then go down again, u might have to repeat this step twice before it goes completely down. make sure u turn on the seat warmers after!!!
Old 03-21-2012, 07:12 PM
myack45

Last edited by myack45; 03-21-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:41 AM
SHILOW

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the straps on mine when I changed out the top. About two months later the straps were worn again. I live in Houston so my top is up and down all day-all year. I have made a habit of reaching back and pushing that Bow into position as the top folds. I have been doing this for three years and no problems yet. My hypothesis is, this hang up also causes issues with the 5th bow motor. It is always fighting against this bow's misalignment durring the folding process. I'm no expert but I have replaced my top myself and found a solution that works for me.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:56 AM
Bill_350Zzzz

I have an 06 which I bought used. luckily for me the strap replacement did the job. From what I've read these straps lose their elasticity very quickly.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Spider Monkey

Originally Posted by Bill_350Zzzz
I have an 06 which I bought used. luckily for me the strap replacement did the job. From what I've read these straps lose their elasticity very quickly.
I have an 06 and this issue happened once around xmas and once a few months back (due to cold hopefully). Did you get the straps from the link on page one of this thread?
Old 04-07-2012, 11:47 AM
Bill_350Zzzz

Got the straps from my local dealer. 32.00 for the kit.
Old 04-20-2012, 05:41 PM
vagel72

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm in the Tampa Bay area and I had the same problem in my 04. When I first started having the problem it made the left hold down cable break. When I went to the shop the local dealership referred me to to fix it they warned me that it was the 5th bow straps that were going bad and that if not fixed I would start getting a tear at the top where the straps is and also possibly tears near the rear window due to the stress of the top not going down. Well after 6 months it started tearing near the right side rear and then the left later on.

Needless to say I invested in buying a new top for the car and had the installer put it on cause it looked to hard to do it myself. I looked around on the net and got the Sonnenland G5 top which is the same type of material used in BMW's and Benz's which is claimed to be better.

Also the Haartz Stayfast Twillfast II top comes with 4 or 5 yr warranty and also looking around I saw GAHH has a new way to install the rear glass window which is guaranteed to not fall out of the seams.

I also heard that Haartz bought Sonnenland from Germany so it seems like Haartz is now the company to get a top from.

The most important thing an owner of a convertible can do is to use the Wolfsteins convertible top cleaner and protectant. Owners of the 350z would have to use the vinyl top protectant and owners of the 370z would have to use the fabric protectant. The cleaner is for both vinyl or fabric but the protectant is material type specific, so be sure to use the correct one. The protectant has UV blockers to keep the material safe and they also keep the material soft and supple looking and safe for use.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:30 PM
tollila

Just needed to post that I fixed my drivers side window that wouldn't go down (at least most of the time). I followed a description of how to disconnect and reconnect the battery. I obviously didn't do it right when I disconnected and reconnected after storage this past winter. I am keeping these instructions so I remember next year! Beats a $580 new motor that I was told I needed! Yes now I need warm weather to truly enjoy my Z!
Old 04-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Overlord#1

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Yup mine sticks too. But don't expect Nissan to address it. This car really turned out to be a pile of ****. So glad I leased it, can;t wait to get rid of it.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:18 PM
davecaselman

Default Top not going all the way down

Originally Posted by Jim Yandell
2004 roadster here. When I'm opening the top, and it's going down, it sticks a few inches prior to completing the cycle. I have to toggle it back up once or twice before it goes down into the holding bin completely. Any thoughts? Jim

Mine was doing the same thing. There are two cloth straps that dry out and loss tension. One is above the drivers head on the top just above your left shoulder. The other is on the passenger side at the top above the right shoulder. I wrapped a small bunge cord around the bars the straps were attached to replace tension and it fixed the problem.