Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Roadster Door Leaked in Rain

Old 05-16-2011, 05:29 AM
JP Choquette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roadster Door Leaked in Rain

I don't normally drive my car in the rain - mostly cause I don't have to, but also because the lines look way better with the top down.

Got stuck on a fairly long highway drive and it was raining cats and dogs to whole way.

Passenger noticed water running into the car near the bottom of the door. When we checked it at a fuel stop it appeared to be coming in around the mirror level of the door and running down the front of the door panel. I checked, and double checked, the window was all the way up and the seals all looked OK.

Anybody else have a similar experience and a fix?
Old 05-16-2011, 09:32 AM
sluggoZ

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No! Did you buy your ZR new or used?
If used, maybe it was in an accident.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:41 AM
JP Choquette

No, bought new in '05 and only 16k km's on it - 10k in American. Never had so much as a scratch, let alone a crash.

It's been babied and garaged since day 1. Driven through a few sprinkles before but his was the first full on rain.
Old 05-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Zedhead07

Ours leaked at the top of the windshield pillar and ran down the inside of the window. Only happened during heavy rain or when we washed it. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the seal at the top of the pillar which fixed the problem. Luckily it was still under warranty at the time.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Mint Racer

just found a puddle on the floor under the drivers seat, after a good rain, water seemed to be collecting in the body side door weather stripping and spilling in, havent found the culprit yet. ill update if i find nething.
Old 05-16-2011, 05:36 PM
Mint Racer

and im guessing by your local uve had the same rain as me
Old 05-17-2011, 09:59 AM
Spider Monkey

Originally Posted by JP Choquette View Post
I don't normally drive my car in the rain - mostly cause I don't have to, but also because the lines look way better with the top down.

Got stuck on a fairly long highway drive and it was raining cats and dogs to whole way.

Passenger noticed water running into the car near the bottom of the door. When we checked it at a fuel stop it appeared to be coming in around the mirror level of the door and running down the front of the door panel. I checked, and double checked, the window was all the way up and the seals all looked OK.

Anybody else have a similar experience and a fix?
Same exact thing happens to me on heavy HEAVY rains.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:55 PM
richcity

I never notice rain in my car but sometimes after a storm my seat belt feels wet on the driver side.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:04 PM
davidv

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't know. You will have to take the door apart and inspect. Easy to assume that water enters then moves DOWN. Not true. Water can move sideways and UP.

Difficult to troubleshoot. Good luck.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:01 PM
terrylentz

I get the same thing on my 2008 HR Roadster on both sides. It leaks very slightly right above sideview mirrors. It only happens when driving in heavy rain, not when the car is parked. It seems it may be the flap of rubber on the top that presses against the front windshield frame of the vehicle when the top is closed. When it started happening the first time, I pulled back on the rubber to try to figure out where the water was leaking in. I think it is leaking in at the top and slowly migrating it's way down. Sounds very similar to what others may be experiencing and perhaps it is a common problem.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:47 PM
JP Choquette

Originally Posted by terrylentz View Post
I get the same thing on my 2008 HR Roadster on both sides. It leaks very slightly right above sideview mirrors. It only happens when driving in heavy rain, not when the car is parked. It seems it may be the flap of rubber on the top that presses against the front windshield frame of the vehicle when the top is closed. When it started happening the first time, I pulled back on the rubber to try to figure out where the water was leaking in. I think it is leaking in at the top and slowly migrating it's way down. Sounds very similar to what others may be experiencing and perhaps it is a common problem.
Sounds exactly like what I saw. Unfortunate though if the problem is common. It's not like it's a Yugo after all......

Guess I'll just have to leave the car home when it rains.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Spider Monkey

Bro, it is a convertible. They leak. lol
Old 06-26-2011, 03:40 PM
terrylentz

Was digging around and noticed this tear/hole in the top of the seal near the edge (see attached photo). I don't believe it is by design. The left side also has this and it is slightly larger on the left side. My guess is that as the rubber stretched it tore over time. Wondering if others with leak also have this and if this is a by design hole or from wear and tear. For now, I've gone ahead and put a sealer in the hole. As I mentioned earlier, mine only leaks in very heavy rain and when it does leak it is a few drops.
Attached Thumbnails Roadster Door Leaked in Rain-wp_000356.jpg  
Old 07-03-2011, 06:39 AM
Ahamblin

I have a 2005 in hard rain the seatbelts are soaked. Good thing you can put the top down and dry it out.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:57 PM
bobbyz350

i have an 06 and have the same prob on the drivers side window i just don't drive my car in the rain but am very interested in the tear above in the pics^^^
Old 07-06-2011, 07:56 PM
terrylentz

Since I sealed the tear, it hasn't rained (go figure)... I'm curious to know if you see a hole on your driver's side in the same spot and whether you don't see a hole on the passenger side.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:36 AM
sssmasss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

somehow both of my seat belts are wet after the rain. i checked but no leak? maybe slow leak somewhere.. ohwell..
Old 07-07-2011, 09:51 AM
Spider Monkey

Originally Posted by sssmasss View Post
somehow both of my seat belts are wet after the rain. i checked but no leak? maybe slow leak somewhere.. ohwell..
Check your shorts bro.
Old 07-07-2011, 10:10 AM
sssmasss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spider Monkey View Post
Check your shorts bro.
what do you mean by shorts? i am sorry but english is my second language and car language is my third language which i have little grasp of. thanks
Old 07-10-2011, 05:34 AM
SparkleCityHop
Living in 350Z

Two things happen to mine in rain. One is that water will pool/collect on top of the side skirt underneath the door. When I open the door, it splashes out. The problem is worse if I am parked facing uphill.

The other thing that happens is the same as mentioned above, water will get into the side area behind the door near the seatbelt mechanism. I have everything removed underneath the tonneau, and the car even has a rainwater catch basin for water by design in that area on both sides. Not sure what they call it in the FSM, but I'll see if I can take a pic today and post it to give you guys a look at it. It seems that they expected some amount of leaking and maybe you're getting enough to overflow that catch basin?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roadster Door Leaked in Rain

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: