Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

AT problems in manual mode

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 04:52 AM
First or last

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AT problems in manual mode

I currently own an 06 with an automatic transmission. I wanted a manual but I got such a good deal because it had a trashed interior I couldnt pass it up.

I do alot of stop and go so AT is actually better for me but every now and then I crave manual so I the other day I tried using the manual mode which alot of people seem to like.

I noticed if I get close to 4k going from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th it makes a highpitched squeal until I shift. I experimented a few times and it continued to happen so I havent done it since. Im wondering if I'm driving it wrong or my trans has a problem. It drives fine in automatic except it jerks when I go from braking/slowing down to accelerating unless I really baby it. Currently has 60k and I recently had the trans serviced.
Old 05-28-2012, 06:50 AM
juanl1999

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you're driving it right. Even when I did high RPM it never made a noise.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:10 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you are experiencing is not normal.I've got a 5AT,in the manual mode shift are seamless...no noise.I also had the car reworked to give quicker more crisp shifts.
Your problem may be in the tranny itself or,in the programming of the AT.Is there a shop nearby that specializes in Z tuning?I'd have e'm check it out.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:14 PM
GunslingerG34

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Something isn't right. When you say you had the transmission "serviced", they didn't use one of those idiotic flushing setups did they? I just ask because what you are describing sounds like a bearing is going out in your transmission. I've had this happen twice before (not in my Z!!) and both times it started within 500 miles of having the transmission flushed/refilled. As I found out the hard way, NEVER let one of these places flush your transmission, because it breaks loose contaminants and metal filings/powder that had settled where they would cause no harm. Once you break them loose and start sending them all through a AT, you are almost guaranteed to need a complete rebuild in the near future!

Last edited by GunslingerG34; 08-06-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 08-06-2012, 05:17 PM
GunslingerG34

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn. Just realized how old this thread is . My bad!