Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Pro's and Con's of Roadster?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Sig24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pro's and Con's of Roadster?

I'm getting a Z soon, 07-08 yearage but only thing pushing me in the direction of a Roadster is that I could get one for 18k with around 35k miles on it. What are some of the major pro's and con's of owning a roadster. I live in southwest texas, San Angelo area, but travel back to my hometown in Southern Louisiana often with thoughts of moving to Houston soon. Those would be major factors I'm sure in how it holds up and care.

I've never owned a convertible before so it's got some appeal for me though overall colorwise (I want a white or red Z) and mileage (35k for an 08!) are my major deciding factors.

Alternatively my option would be a magnetic black or solar orange coupe but both with around 50k or 87k miles respectively.

Any advice or input definitely appreciated, probably going to buy in the next couple weeks.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:18 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Sig24
I'm getting a Z soon, 07-08 yearage but only thing pushing me in the direction of a Roadster is that I could get one for 18k with around 35k miles on it. What are some of the major pro's and con's of owning a roadster. I live in southwest texas, San Angelo area, but travel back to my hometown in Southern Louisiana often with thoughts of moving to Houston soon. Those would be major factors I'm sure in how it holds up and care.

I've never owned a convertible before so it's got some appeal for me though overall colorwise (I want a white or red Z) and mileage (35k for an 08!) are my major deciding factors.

Alternatively my option would be a magnetic black or solar orange coupe but both with around 50k or 87k miles respectively.

Any advice or input definitely appreciated, probably going to buy in the next couple weeks.
1st.. Roadster costs more to buy.. why are you looking at a coupe with such high miles? If you actually find a roadster that cheap you can get the same car as a coupe for about 2k less

I own a roadster... 07 19k miles and love it.. never drive with the top up.. be sure you protect your top with Raggtop vinyl protectant to help keep it from drying and cracking fromtexas hot sun... I love my roadster and never regret it over the coupe.. just too much fun witht the top down and driving through the twisties and mountains, etc
Old 12-19-2012, 06:19 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I would definitely go with Pikes Peak White.....especially living in the South.

Only con I have is the top? Make sure you throughly check out the top's material wear, as in pinholes, tiny separations at the seams & etc.....top's mechanism's working perfectly.
as is....opening & closing perfectly....check tonneau alignment is perfect.
Good Luck!
Old 12-19-2012, 06:28 PM
Steaner

My opinion is biased because i own a roadster, but for me, i live in Canada and it is my summer car. I love having the top down cruising everywhere.

as far as down sides go, my only complaints is that my top doesn't seal 100% if its raining hard and there is more noise while driving. other then that convertible is the way to go IMO
Old 12-19-2012, 06:34 PM
Sig24

Originally Posted by 350zchad
why are you looking at a coupe with such high miles?
Can't find too many that aren't just a base in my area with less than 50k miles that are a coupe. I'm going out as far a Dallas/Fort Worth or Austin/San Antonio area. Not really looking to get a car out of state and retitle, though I don't know if that's even something that's just simple to do or not.

Another quick but more than likely stupid question. Performance-wise is there anything that gimps the roadster in any way that much ahead of the coupe if I were to keep both stock for awhile(Not planning to have it stock for long)
Old 12-19-2012, 06:37 PM
Sig24

Originally Posted by Steaner
My opinion is biased because i own a roadster, but for me, i live in Canada and it is my summer car. I love having the top down cruising everywhere.

as far as down sides go, my only complaints is that my top doesn't seal 100% if its raining hard and there is more noise while driving. other then that convertible is the way to go IMO
Well I guess a big wonder is can the roadster be a year round car?
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 PM
FWM69

Ummm whoever said that the roadster is more expensive is crazy... I saw a 2006, 26,000 mile grant touring roadster, 6 speed manual, red for 16k at the champion nissan in Katy. Roadsters are actually cheaper in Houston because EVERYONE is trying to get a 6 speed coupe.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:22 AM
JCITY
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you are asking is pretty subjective.
IMO,looks wise,the roadster conversion of the original-what the designer
had in mind with the coupe,fall flat.With some cars a convertible can
actually look as good or,better.On a Z,NOT.As mentioned,a top on any car
will mean wear&tear,motors can go back.Needs replacement etc.Also,
the noise factor(unless the car has a cabrio/padded top.The Z does not)
and sealing from the outside elements.On a positive,EVERYONE should
own a convert at least once in their life.I've had 6.
Nothing like the top down experience.A sunroof just is not the same.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 AM
Steaner

Originally Posted by Sig24
Well I guess a big wonder is can the roadster be a year round car?
Seeing how you are in the Texas area, I don't see why it couldn't be a year round car. I'm way up north and its at least 20 below freezing all the time with loads of snow on the ground. Honestly any RWD car isn't the best for my conditions.

But since you have a nicer climate I'd say definitely go for the roadster!
Old 12-20-2012, 06:49 AM
stilez

Roadster Pro's
- hands down more fun to drive than the Coupe, take the thrill of a 350Z and amplify by 10 with the top down.
- chances are you won't see a copy of your car driving next to you on the road.
-Chicks dig 'em!!

Roadster Con's
- more to go wrong, read through the roadster posts and you'll see countless issues with the convertable top.
- With the top up the Coupe looks better, living in Texas your top will be up all summer long.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:29 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Its heavier and uglier.

My 2¢
Old 12-21-2012, 02:02 AM
Sap350z

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I see plenty year-round convertibles in the South. Nothing can beat top down driving. I am biased towards convertibles now.
Old 12-21-2012, 02:11 AM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Pros: Looks great with the top down

Cons: Heavier; and doesn't look too good with the top up IMO. The rag top totally neglects the beautiful roofline of the coupe.

But if you want a ZR, go for it, it's still a Z.
Old 12-21-2012, 05:46 AM
zprincess

I don't believe a roadster being heavier is a negative attribute. Top up looks good to me. Top down looks fabulous. Here in Florida, I don't put the top down very often because of the humidity. When it is down, all I can say is WOW!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:33 AM
chickenputo

Originally Posted by zprincess
I don't believe a roadster being heavier is a negative attribute. Top up looks good to me. Top down looks fabulous. Here in Florida, I don't put the top down very often because of the humidity. When it is down, all I can say is WOW!
this.

There will definitely be maintenance issues i.e. I just got my second ZR and the dealer had a new top installed and it is leaking on the passenger side but they will take care of it. The top definitely deserves extra care if you want it to last longer.

But those times when do you do get to put the top down make it allllll worth it.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:38 AM
ZS14RR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This guys username ^^^^^^^^ lol
Old 12-21-2012, 07:57 AM
angelo350z

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZS14RR
This guys username ^^^^^^^^ lol
Old 12-21-2012, 02:31 PM
NismoZR

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What ever you decide you can't go wrong with roadster. I was looking to buy a coupe end with the roadster never regretted. I get a lot of attention driving it around the city than some of my friends coupes. Its a convertible thing. Good luck.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:42 AM
red roadster

Would you rather be couped up or with a topless Fairlady. Like with all ladies topless is higher maintence but you gotta love em. Just got rid of a Harley and got a ZR got to have the wind.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:12 AM
Sig24

Yesterday finally got me a Z, decided to just go on a red 07 roadster.
Attached Thumbnails Pro's and Con's of Roadster?-1356111081230.jpg   Pro's and Con's of Roadster?-1356111082323.jpg   Pro's and Con's of Roadster?-1356111083339.jpg  

Quick Reply: Pro's and Con's of Roadster?