Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Buying Out of State "New" 05 ZR -Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 02:35 PM
ChuckNOS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying Out of State "New" 05 ZR -Tips?

Greetings,

My first post on this board. I'm all set to fly 3 hours from home to pick up my wife's soon to be "new" Yellow 2005 ZR-auto (6,900 miles!) in a couple of days. All arrangements made, down payment set, flight booked, etc. Insurance card in hand, local DMV will issue temp plates.

I've spoken with the private seller, he's sent lots of pics, the car is pristine, as far as one can tell from pics. As part of the deal, a local Nissan dealer is giving it the once over and a current CarFax report is to be generated. It looks like a done deal. (I probably overpaid a bit, but where else does one comes across a ZR of this vintage with such low miles?)

My questions are: Once I inspect it in person, is there anything in particular I should be on the look-out for? I will check top operation, look it up and down, listen to the motor, yada, yada, yada. Anything else?

The tires are original and appear in good shape (plenty of tread, no sidewall cracks, no uneven wear from what I can see on pics) but should I trust them on my 450 mile, all interstate return ride home? I'm thinking it should be fine, but any input is welcome.

Anything else I should be thinking about?

Thank you in advance

Chuck
Old 06-21-2013, 01:30 PM
Blu Hvn

Sounds to me you have everything covered! Enjoy!!
Old 06-23-2013, 08:26 AM
ChuckNOS

Bought the car. Drove the 770 miles home over two days instead of the planned one day because of delayed flights into Green Bak, Wi. But the whole transaction went very well.

First off, the car looks BRAND NEW! The now former owner was more than a nice guy, he was honest and accommodating. After shaking hands, I asked if we could take the car to the local Nissan dealer so diagnostics could be run and a new battery installed (an earlier test detected some loss in cold cranking power). He said no problem and I drove the car for the first time to the dealer. It drove and felt as new as it looked! No need to preach to the choir here, but in those first few moments I knew that this fly and drive back home would be well worth it..

The dealer gave the Z the once over. All the codes checked out except the tires pressure which was corrected. The brake pads were even measured, the service tecch said, "They're very lose to brand new."

So we completed the paperwork, at the dealer and then went to the sellers bank. I handed him the bank check for the balance due and after the funds were confirmed over the telephone, he signed over the title.

Next we went to the nearby Wisconsin DMV office. Took a number. The monitor sai the wait time was 40 minutes. At 37 minutes, my number was called. Ten minutes worth of paperwork and temporary Wisconsin tags were issued.

I drove the now former owner to his place of business, he gave me a bottle of water for the drive home and I gave him a hug and d thanked him. This is my wife's dream car and i knew that she would be overt the moon on this one.

Since I did not arrive in Green Bay before 9:00Am as originally planned (Delta Airlines sucks!) I started on the road at about 4:30PM. The bad news, I would have to stop for the night someplace (Toledo, as it turned out) instead of driving the 12 hours straight home. The good news, i missed the rush hours around Milwaukee and Chicago and passed through Cleveland on a Saturday morning instead of a Friday night.

All in all a great buyers experience.
Old 06-23-2013, 08:36 AM
MB33

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome and congrats post some pics!
Old 06-23-2013, 10:25 AM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Sounds like you got a nice one. I'd carefully check the tires for cracks and dry rot, though, as they're already 8 or 9 years old, and it's not just the tread depth that determines lifespan.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:40 PM
1000gixxer

Default 05 Yellow 350ZR

Enjoy

Looks like you got a fine example of a well looked after ZR . You might want to give your toy a complete fluid change . Eng. oil , Dif. oil , Trans oil ,Brakes Fld. Power steering fluid and Coolant . Check service history before you go nuts . I have an 05 also and the Accessory drive belts were original and a bit cracked . Plugs were changed last year no issues . When you replace plugs check each one as you remove them , see if the metal and porcelain is wet with engine oil . This is a common condition . sweating from the valve cover o- ring seals around plug tube .Cars are pretty bullet proof if driven properly . Cars in stock form take a great set in the corners and you can use the throttle to aim the at the exit on tight corners .

Enjoy SUMMER
Old 06-24-2013, 04:52 PM
taryon

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats on the Z! I love the yellow