Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Project: Nismo roadster

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 01:22 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

That sucks, but I wouldn't refuse shipment.. you will be billed to re-ship.

It clearly states no tires in the first line of the description. Just my thoughts!
Old 05-06-2015, 01:33 PM
MatthewBouchard

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

As someone who has an Ebay store and sells items weekly; that listing is very misleading about tires. It's not hard to take pictures AFTER the tires are off and even if the way they process their items made it not possible to get new pics w/o the tires, they should have at LEAST made it bolder/easier to see/put it in the title to make it CLEAR that there are no tires with the wheels.

I'v learned to try and stay away if possible from sellers with BS returns(imo)~

"Items returned without prior authorization from Powerline Auto Recyclers, whether instructed by eBay's Return Request or by the buyer's own accord, will be subject to a partial refund minus original shipping price and a 40% restocking fee."
Old 05-06-2015, 02:08 PM
kno

Received 120 Likes on 87 Posts

Im glad you got your wheels but Damn bro if I knew you'd pay that much for the nismo wheels I would of sold you mine lol. That's a lot for those wheels

Last edited by kno; 05-06-2015 at 02:11 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 02:47 PM
DeusExMaxima

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

350zchad: Yes it does state "no tires" but there is nothing clear about it. Its not in the headline, the pictures show tires in all pictures, and the "no tires" is buried in a long description. The print is even smaller on my phone, and I have one of the best phones, Galaxy S5....Just sayin....

Matthew: I appreciate what you say as it echos my sentiment. Im not sure their return policy is enforceable as it appears to be an adhesion clause, and it is certainly unreasonable.

kno: I dont have them yet, they are in Kingman AZ, but damn bro, what a way to get wheels. I only paid that because I thought I was getting tires too as depicted by the nine pictures.

The tire seller gave me until the end of the day to buy the 4 tires at a $50 discount of $500 shipped. I have not heard back from the wheel ahole yet since my last message.
Worst case scenario, Ill have paid $2200 for the wheels and tires which is way too much, but you win some and you lose some.

The good news is that they are in decent shape which is more than I can say for a lot of the Nismo wheels I have seen out there. They also seem to be getting rarer and rarer.

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 05-06-2015 at 08:02 PM.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:50 PM
DeusExMaxima

Bad news and good news....the bad news is I'm not getting my wheels. The good news is I'm getting a full refund. The wait for a nice set of Nismo wheels AND TIRES continues......
Old 05-06-2015, 10:09 PM
KingBaby
Hardest Setting

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

sorry to hear...
Old 05-07-2015, 04:07 AM
kno

Im glad you got your money back!. I'll search for some wheels on fb for you and I'll get you a contact number since you don't have fb.

Edit: just put an add up let's see if anyone bites.

Last edited by kno; 05-07-2015 at 04:30 AM.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:33 AM
DeusExMaxima

Thanks kno!!! Keep me posted.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:53 AM
WTFMike

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I saw these on CL in phoenix. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/pts/4951108423.html

Maybe they are fixable and can save you some bucks.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:14 AM
kno

Holy crap those look pretty screwed up.! Maybe 2 of those can be saved
Old 05-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,065 Likes on 753 Posts

Originally Posted by kno
Holy crap those look pretty screwed up.! Maybe 2 of those can be saved
Wondering if Dugan moved to AZ...
Old 05-08-2015, 03:40 AM
DeusExMaxima

Lol re dugan!!

I know about those rims. I sent pics to a rim place and they said one is unfixable. I thought about trying to acquire those and have them fixed but the problem is is that when rims are so badly damaged like that, even if they are fixed, they are likely weakened. I prefer a decent set at a good price.
Old 05-08-2015, 03:53 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Don't buy those wheels, unless you plan on making a set of coffee tables or bar stools out of them. No way I'd ever feel safe driving on any wheels that damaged.
Old 05-10-2015, 12:24 AM
DeusExMaxima

I momentarily thought about those wheels, but thats it.

I removed the front bumper to swap the headlights. I took out the right side light first and put it next to the 06 light I got from Kno. I have HIDs on my 05. I installed the ballast onto the 06 light. Now, my HID bulb is a d2r. The 06 is a d2s. The difference is a differently placed notch in the base, some paint on the side of the bulb, and 200 less lumens, most likely due to the paint on the side. I decided to remove the paint, cut a notch and install the modified d2r bulb and save $220 in new bulbs. I will also need 06 turn signal bulbs. To be continued tomorrow.....cheers.
Old 05-10-2015, 04:01 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

Deus,
Congratz on your thred- 15k views!
Old 05-10-2015, 11:09 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Deus, the two bulbs provide very different focal points. The D2R bulb is made to focus light into the correct spot inside the parabolic reflector and then out through the lens that provides the HID low beam of the 03 to 05 headlights. The 006 and later headlight are bi-zenon units, the D2S bulbs are designed to focus light through the unit’s projector for both high and low beams. By jamming in the wrong bulbs you will be throwing out massive amounts of glare at the oncoming cars. (Some old duffer in a 1970s Chevy Impala will be blinded and will plow head on into you). Also in a heavy rain the unfocused scattered beams of light will bounce off the raindrops back into your eyes.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:10 AM
DeusExMaxima

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Deus, the two bulbs provide very different focal points. The D2R bulb is made to focus light into the correct spot inside the parabolic reflector and then out through the lens that provides the HID low beam of the 03 to 05 headlights. The 006 and later headlight are bi-zenon units, the D2S bulbs are designed to focus light through the unit’s projector for both high and low beams. By jamming in the wrong bulbs you will be throwing out massive amounts of glare at the oncoming cars. (Some old duffer in a 1970s Chevy Impala will be blinded and will plow head on into you). Also in a heavy rain the unfocused scattered beams of light will bounce off the raindrops back into your eyes.
Jennifer....its true that the bulbs are designed for different methods of lighting- projector or reflector. The bulbs used in reflector lights have paint applied in a tall U shape to minimize glare. The bulb used in projector lights dont need the painted area. By removing the paint and placing the bulb in a projector light, there will not be glare like there would be if it was a reflector light. The d2r and d2s bulbs are identical except for the paint, according to my extensive research. In fact, the bulbs have very similar lumens....3200 and 3000 lumens....with the lower output due to the painted portion.

Ill get ahead of myself here...but...when I installed the modified d2r bulb, the light output is better and nicely focused. Im very pleased with these lights, and even more pleased that I didnt have to buy $200 worth of bulbs....
Old 05-11-2015, 12:34 AM
DeusExMaxima

From my prior post, you will see I installed Kno's 06+ blacked out, eye browed headlights. I was going to buy d2s bulbs until I discovered my d2r bulbs can be modified to fit into the later light housings and provide identical lighting by removing a U shaped painted area.

Pic showing the painted part:
Name:  20150509_205640-1_zpswxvkq5kb.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  249.9 KB

The paint prevents glare when used in the 05> reflector lights. Since the bulbs were going in the 06+ projector lights , the paint is not only unecessary, but essential to be removed in oreder to provide maximum output. I used an exacto knife and scraped most of the paint off. Then I ground a notch in the base so the bulb would fit in the housing.
Pic of d2r bulb with paint removed
Name:  20150510_122557_zpsiagnfo8g.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  404.5 KB

I used a rotary grinder and ground a notch in about a minute.
Pic showing notch added
Name:  20150510_124041_zpsmbewfyk6_edit_1431332501756_zpsjrjif9s6.jpg
Views: 435
Size:  127.6 KB

Next, I replaced the turn signal bulb with the correct bulb, shown on the right:

Name:  20150510_130129_zpskkini0bn.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  287.4 KB

I added the drl but they didnt light up. I decided to install the lights and to deal with the DRL lights later.

Pic of lights installed before I washed the car:

Name:  20150510_165310_zps0rsrliit_edit_1431307277293_zpsmozopvw4.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  264.2 KB

Name:  20150510_191452_zpsba64uw02.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  166.8 KB

Name:  20150510_191519_zpsudsngf19_edit_1431330721710_zpsihvvjfrn.jpg
Views: 442
Size:  195.5 KB

The lights are brighter yet focused. It has a very nice light pattern. The high beams work great, turn signals work too. The drls dont work. I noticed some inside lights not working.... radio control illumination, shifter illumination and navi illumination. Also, tail lights are not working.I suspect a blown fuse.

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 05-11-2015 at 12:36 AM.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:07 AM
Jennifer 2

Received 31 Likes on 20 Posts

Deus you are not the first person to file a new notch in a 2r/2s bulb. I will try to locate an excellent article from a lighting engineer at Osram for you that covers this point. From memory I’m butchering and paraphrasing a small bit below.

There are manufacturing tolerances in the ability to stabilize the shape of the arc discharge within the refractory envelope of the bulb tube. The two bulbs bias this tolerance differently so as to collect the light most efficiently in the two different reflectors (A parabolic in the early HID lights and an elliptical in the later Bi-xenon projector style)

Find a level surface about a hundred feet or so from a vertical wall at night and turn on the headlights. Get out of the car and approach the wall looking for some tiny dark spots within the beam pattern at the bottom of the wall. Even though 99% of the light is focusing into a well-controlled pattern on the road, the light from those missing dark pin points is instead being directed right into grandpa’s eyes.

Yet another old fart pounds on the steering wheel and shouts G-damn ricer punks.

By the way, what method of measuring did you use in the horizontal aiming the headlights, it also has a relationship to mitigating glare. (Unlike the vertical adjusters, the horizontal adjusters are hidden behind a little steel cap.)
Old 05-11-2015, 12:37 PM
DeusExMaxima

Originally Posted by Jennifer 2
Deus you are not the first person to file a new notch in a 2r/2s bulb. I will try to locate an excellent article from a lighting engineer at Osram for you that covers this point. From memory I’m butchering and paraphrasing a small bit below.

There are manufacturing tolerances in the ability to stabilize the shape of the arc discharge within the refractory envelope of the bulb tube. The two bulbs bias this tolerance differently so as to collect the light most efficiently in the two different reflectors (A parabolic in the early HID lights and an elliptical in the later Bi-xenon projector style)

Find a level surface about a hundred feet or so from a vertical wall at night and turn on the headlights. Get out of the car and approach the wall looking for some tiny dark spots within the beam pattern at the bottom of the wall. Even though 99% of the light is focusing into a well-controlled pattern on the road, the light from those missing dark pin points is instead being directed right into grandpa’s eyes.

Yet another old fart pounds on the steering wheel and shouts G-damn ricer punks.

By the way, what method of measuring did you use in the horizontal aiming the headlights, it also has a relationship to mitigating glare. (Unlike the vertical adjusters, the horizontal adjusters are hidden behind a little steel cap.)
Jennifer: Not only am I aware that I'm not the first person to file a notch in the bulb, but, as indicated supra, I have extensively read about modifying the HID bulbs in question. Also again, the key modification is removing the U-shaped paint which allows the bulb to be used in a reflector headlight housing. So, it is more than cutting a notch in the base - this only allows the bulb to fit in the projector headlight housing.

The question is, are both bulbs the same other than the notch and U shaped coating? My contention is that they are the same. However, I have no scientific support (at the moment). The only support I have is tons of people who have done the mod and have seen the bulbs side my side (i.e. left bulb is modified d2r and right bulb is d2s) and the headlight pattern is identical.

In order to get a scientific opinion, I telephoned OSRAM/Sylvania and left a message with them to explain the difference, if any, between the two bulbs. I should have an answer tomorrow, according to the lady at the National Customer Service Center of OSRAM/Sylvania. Further, I have an email to Phillips with the identical inquiry. In my inquiries, I asked for the credentials of the person providing me the information. As soon as I have more information, I will gladly share it with the forum.

I did not adjust the headlights before I installed them. However, they seem to cast a nice uniform light both forward and to the side. In driving various short, local side-street trips last night, no one flashed their lights at me. I also noticed the cutoff of the low beam was fairly clear and sharp when the lights were aimed at a smooth garage wall. I can try to get a pic tonight.

I used the "toothpaste trick" on the lenses and the lenses cleaned up very nicely. There was a bit of haze before, but now, no longer.

****UPDATE**** I received fairly prompt responses from both Phillips and OSRAM/Sylvania. Unfortunately, they were from marketing people who gave me the old "d2s is designed for projector and d2r is designed for reflector lights" routine. I responded with a clarifying email and await responses from a technical expert.

I found a very informative article in the HID forums here:

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/cont...b-Crash-Course

The relevant information is found after "Important terms to Know" near the beginning of the article. Here is what this person said:

"So now that you know about kelvin and some aspects of the bulbs, you might be wondering why you hear the terms D2R or D2S. Well, to put it very simply to you, D2R is a HID bulb that was designed for HID reflector housings. It has a different base than a D2S and also has a painted portion on the bulb itself. Why is it painted you ask? The paint is there to block certain areas of the bulb that would cause excessive glare in the housing. Does the paint affect bulb performance? Yes. A 4100k D2R has slightly less lumen than a 4100k D2S. Can a D2R be converted to a D2S? Yes. You would have to make a notch in the base of the bulb to match that of a D2S. you would also need to delicatly remove the painted portion of the bulb so that it would be completely visible just like a D2S. So enough about a D2R ehh, lets talk about the D2S for a sec. The D2S was designed soley for a HID projector applications. They are completely clear and give out the most efficiency of the two. Thats pratically all there is in difference between those two bulbs Below are some pics of both." [Emphasis added]

Last edited by DeusExMaxima; 05-11-2015 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: Project: Nismo roadster