Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

OEM Roll Bar Covers/Trim

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 09:43 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,063 Likes on 751 Posts
Default OEM Roll Bar Covers/Trim

Strange question: Has anyone removed the plastic OEM roll bar trim/covers behind the headrests on their roadster and, if so, any useful tips?

I didn't find any write-ups, but it seems like it should be pretty straightforward. The FSM calls theses pieces the "guard frame protector" and it also indicates that they should be replaced after disassembly which seems rather unnecessary.

I found some disassembled trim pieces for sale on ebay which shows the placement of all the pawls that would need to be gently pried apart.

I imagine that one could easily separate the pieces with some of those trim/dash panel removal tools and then pull them off after removing the two bolts from the rear halves.

I did find these pics in some other threads showing the factory roll bar with everything removed in case anyone finds it helpful.

"Why," you ask? I saw a ZR that had them color matched and I thought it looked pretty clean. My ZR is black, but I think the trim pieces would look nice if they were also gloss black as opposed to their matte factory finish.

I plan on doing this some time in the next month or so when my "project list" has a few more things marked off in the order of priority. I'll post up results after.

Possibly, even mess around with placing a high mount 3rd brake light over the wind deflector and shaving the OEM 3rd brake light off the tonneau cover, but we'll see. The glare may be horrible at night.
Old 06-04-2018, 12:33 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,594 Posts

I kinda like the idea-
Customized to your liking. A friend swears by Dupli-Color fabric aerosol for interior touch ups.
Kinda don't-
Unless you use a very good top coat, you will be facing more surface area prone to scratching and maintenance. (Painting over a non-porous surface you may be forced to prime, color-coat, then seal).

Maybe go to the crafts store or buy a small quantity of wrap and install on forward portion of cover as a test for glare before you go all-in.
Interested to see how this comes out, good luck!