Notices
Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Roll Cage or Roll Bar..

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2006, 07:15 AM
MyZFiona

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Roll Cage or Roll Bar..

I'm moding the whip up and starting to take it to the track for runs, and i'm looking for the best saftey as possible.. i am going to keep it a streetcar but i'm looking for advice on whether i should get a full roll cage or a roll bar, plus i want new bucket seats that are reclineable for long trips cause it is my daily driver.. witt 4point harness seat belts.. where should i look for the best deals and what does everyone recommend i should do and get and where to get it....
Old 12-04-2006, 08:41 AM
daveh

Give TC Design a call. They're in Milpitas and have done both rollbars (mine) and SCCA roll cages in Z's. Tell them Dave sent you. Do a search under my name and you will see some pics of mine. Tony is very reasonable and will do a good job. Don't skimp out on safety.

www.tcdesignfab.com
Old 12-04-2006, 07:37 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Autopower 4pt rollcage with the diagnal bar is what i'd suggest.
Old 12-04-2006, 07:46 PM
daveh

Originally Posted by UrbanTacticZ
Autopower 4pt rollcage with the diagnal bar is what i'd suggest.
I liked this option too, but you will still need to take it to TC Design to be welded in. From there it won't cost much more to have him custom make one for you that will fit much tighter.

Kirk racing makes a bolt-in but it does not work for taller people and the pads that connect it to the car looked very small.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:26 AM
THE TECH

The Autopower ones don't have to be welded.
Old 12-05-2006, 07:40 AM
kwiker
Shift_Dorifto

For a street car...i would go with a bar, 6pt. A cage is more weight. Also, pad it up. I got rear-ended at a red light in my formula and the seat rail failed and slid back and i split my head open on the bar. I had Corbeau Forzas and the Corbeau sliders in my car b/c i didn't want a seat that would have a back that could fall if i got hit...the seat worked but the slider didn't.

Cheers
Old 12-05-2006, 08:01 AM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by daveh
I liked this option too, but you will still need to take it to TC Design to be welded in. From there it won't cost much more to have him custom make one for you that will fit much tighter.

Kirk racing makes a bolt-in but it does not work for taller people and the pads that connect it to the car looked very small.
How much is TC charging for a rollbar such as the Autopower?
Old 12-05-2006, 08:02 AM
UrbanTacticZ

Originally Posted by THE TECH
The Autopower ones don't have to be welded.
You know it's wierd because everyone says the 350Z application is weld in only and if you check their website, I think I remember it saying the same.

I will give them a buzz today and see if I can get some more information.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:19 AM
dnguyent

I have the autopower bar. It's a weld-in unit (one of the few weld-in units that Autopower makes). I don't like the bent diagonal bar as it won't work effectively under compression. In fact, I think it's a horrible design; makes me wonder if they know anything about rollbars at all . Also, I had to have the harness bar removed and rewelded 3.5" higher because the angle of the straps through the headrest was too steep. Furthermore, the mount points for the Autopower bar is not good. The bar mounts to rather thin metal sheets, which must be reinforced for proper safety.

I would not recommend the Autopower bar. If I'd do it again, I'd go with a custom set. It would have cost maybe 20% more, but would have been worth it. Just find someone reputable.