Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

How to Lubricate the Rag Top mechanism?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 05:50 AM
msk59

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How to Lubricate the Rag Top mechanism?

Hello All: does anyone know or have done a lubrication of the convertible top. I purchased a low miles 2006 Z Touring addition and everything is functional but I want to keep it that way. Any help would be appreciated. I did do the search but have not found actual procedure .

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-14-2018, 08:43 AM
No_name

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Don't overthink this. Inspect, lightly clean old/excess, and lube all contact, latching and guiding points with a reputable brand of grease (I use a quality lithium) periodically as you would perform any other scheduled maintenance where surfaces slide, rotate or guide movement (e.g. hood, trunk & door latches, etc.).

Few times a year put the top in various positions along the operational path, identify the obvious points (and some not so obvious) and apply a common-sense amount (use cotton swabs in a lot of areas to apply, more is not necessarily better on all contact points). Admittedly, there are "a lot of lubrication points" on the roadster top, with practice you'll get familiar with all of them. Also consider hardware inside the cabin and along the windshield frame, don't just focus on the stowaway parts out-back.

Lastly, remember to condition & treat (silicon-based or your product of choice) all associated rubber & plastic periodically to ensure overall 'tight' fitment and longevity.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:33 AM
msk59

Awesome. Thank You very much for guiding me. I saw Mr. Goss video but your input is valuable. Will tackle this next weekend. This is not my daily driver.
Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2018, 01:38 PM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by msk59
Hello All: does anyone know or have done a lubrication of the convertible top. I purchased a low miles 2006 Z Touring addition and everything is functional but I want to keep it that way. Any help would be appreciated. I did do the search but have not found actual procedure .

Thanks in advance.
Here you go...

Old 07-15-2018, 02:55 PM
msk59

Hey Great. That is just brilliant. Thank You so much. Now that gives me visual. Quick question: So I lift the top and stop it at various positions, then after lubrication is complete, will it mess up the sequence of opening and closing when I turn the car off or does it remember where it was stopped? I know dumb question but i had to ask. Don't want to find out the hard way.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:43 AM
sluggoZ

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by msk59
Hey Great. That is just brilliant. Thank You so much. Now that gives me visual. Quick question: So I lift the top and stop it at various positions, then after lubrication is complete, will it mess up the sequence of opening and closing when I turn the car off or does it remember where it was stopped? I know dumb question but i had to ask. Don't want to find out the hard way.
No problem...it only stops when you want it to stop.