Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Good deal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 06:53 AM
sam.s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good deal?

Hello all, just wanted to ask you guys a couple questions. My next door neighboor, and a friend of mine has a 2003 350z, with 40,xxx miles on it. he just placed an order on a Tesla. he offered me a bargain of a price that would be hard to turn down. The offer was 5,000$ mint condition with nothing wrong, hasn't seen winter and is in excellent shape. I really want to get it but here is my problem. unfortunately I was involved in a car accident and was at fault. Not recklessly driving, made a minor brain fart and I payed for it. Right now I am in 2008 BMW 335xi, and its got some miles on it, over 130k. Im trying to sell the car before the turbos and everything else goes bad and im 2 grand out of my bank account. Im 18 years old and have had a love for Z's since a young age and owning one would be an absolute pleasure. Is this something I have a chance at getting? Thanks guys 👍
Old 02-01-2019, 08:00 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome- your question has two sides to it. If you're that interested in it, the Z you're considering needs to be mechanically assessed by a qualified Nissan technician. Expect to pay $200-300 for a written, independent assessment so you understand what to pay for AFTER you purchase the car. While the miles are low, there's still going to be some wear and tear to be expected.

As for the second part of your question, you'll need to do some research on insurance costs. An at-fault accident may severely impact your premiums on a car like the 350Z. As much as you love the Z, it may be time to find a lower priced car that meets your needs and doesn't blow so much of your budget.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:37 AM
sam.s

Originally Posted by dkmura
Welcome- your question has two sides to it. If you're that interested in it, the Z you're considering needs to be mechanically assessed by a qualified Nissan technician. Expect to pay $200-300 for a written, independent assessment so you understand what to pay for AFTER you purchase the car. While the miles are low, there's still going to be some wear and tear to be expected.

As for the second part of your question, you'll need to do some research on insurance costs. An at-fault accident may severely impact your premiums on a car like the 350Z. As much as you love the Z, it may be time to find a lower priced car that meets your needs and doesn't blow so much of your budget.
Thank you for the input! if I end up pulling the trigger ill definitely make sure I take it to Nissan to have it looked at.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:49 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Originally Posted by sam.s
Thank you for the input! if I end up pulling the trigger ill definitely make sure I take it to Nissan to have it looked at.
To be clear, I'm not necessarily suggesting a Nissan dealer is the best source of an independent assessment. You might try to check if a Nissan dealership has done maintenance in the past and get the entire service record from them. The Z also came with a written service booklet that might shed some light on what's been done.
But it's best to pay for a independent assessment from a tech who knows they aren't getting paid for anything other than the assessment itself to ensure impartiality.
The following users liked this post:
sam.s (02-01-2019)
Old 02-01-2019, 09:03 AM
sam.s

Gotcha, I have some friends that have worked on and also owned in the past and currently so ill see if I can have them take a look at it
Old 02-01-2019, 04:01 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,049 Likes on 6,515 Posts

18 and already has an at fault accident..... curious as to how long it takes to happen again