Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Top Care

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2004, 07:04 PM
DeZigner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[i]
The thing I hate the most about the raggtop vinyl protectant is the sprayer. It doesn't really produce a fine spray mist. As a result, i get a lot of excess residue on the glass, body. I'm seriously thinking of going with the 303 product i've heard about.
Any thoughts? [/B]
First, if I may suggest, open your top for just a second. What I mean by this is to undo the major interior latch and start the closing process so the rear latch releases. Now take one or two old bed sheets and slide them under your roof so the entire area around the roof is covered. If you want, you can cut a hole where the back latch is and completely reopen the top so it is taunt.

Now you can spray away and not worry about the overspray.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:36 AM
LouieIV

It seems like a fabric/canvas top is more likely to be harmed by vinyl protectant than the other way around.
I thought we had fabric tops, maybe not cotton but an actual weave of some material. Now I'm not so sure???
I just bought fabric protectant, I think I will use this for now (as it seems the safer bet) and perhaps change later if anything definitive comes up later.

-LouieIV
Old 03-29-2004, 10:09 AM
pisces9ca

Question Re: Just when you thought we were done!

Originally posted by theSmoothDome
I just found this in the 350Z manual. Page 7-3 for those who care.

"When the top is quite dirty, wash using a mild detergent, such as a general cleaner especially made for a CLOTH top or a general purpose dish-washing liquid, mised with clean, luckewarm (never hot) water. "

Hmmmm......
Well I'm on my second top, the first one was all chewed up inside (as documented, build date 6/03). I've used Zaino on my Z and find these instructions from the manual to be questionable as we all know what detergent does to your car finish and appearance.

As yet I haven't treated my top with any special product but the Z is garaged and when not garaged the top is down. I just rinse with cold water and squeegee the excess water off. It looks good but is essentially still brand new, bt the way it is Blue.
Old 03-29-2004, 01:44 PM
SeanG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After looking at this top.......it is vinyl, like those manufacturers claim. The top does not nor has it ever beaded water, that is a good indication it is vinyl.

If you read the instructions in the Owners Manual, it says you can "CLEAN" the top with a cloth top "CLEANER". The cleaner products out there all say you can use it to clean a cloth or vinyl top. It's the protectant that is specific to the type of top you have.

I bought the vinyl Ragtopp, it works real well, it helps darken the black top. I had an Eclipse Spyder that had a black cloth top and it was jet black, beautiful color. This top is more of a gray color not a true black, and you can really tell against the Super Black color.
Old 03-29-2004, 02:10 PM
Gigi

Originally posted by Keo
I've used Raggtop VINYL protectant twice now and it beads somewhat but I expected much better results. The directions for applying are confusing as well since what it says on the bottle and the directions I have seen on Wolfstein's website are different. Is anybody liking Raggtop Vinyl?

I like everyone else was confused. I posted about this a few months back. The concensus was "cloth" I bought Raggtop CLOTH. I put two coats on (three recommended) It beads like crazy. Almost as much as my car and I have about 15-20 coats of Zaino on it. I thought it worked pretty good. Don't even see the need for a third coat yet.
Old 03-30-2004, 09:33 AM
SeanG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Gigi
I like everyone else was confused. I posted about this a few months back. The concensus was "cloth" I bought Raggtop CLOTH. I put two coats on (three recommended) It beads like crazy. Almost as much as my car and I have about 15-20 coats of Zaino on it. I thought it worked pretty good. Don't even see the need for a third coat yet.
I don't think it is going to hurt to use either product. People have used both products and have had good results.
Old 03-30-2004, 01:34 PM
srmd22

I've been using the 303 cloth top cleaner and protectant and it sure looks good and beads well. I would be quite surprised if it has any deleterious effects, but I guess I am rolling the dice a bit (who would have thought it?). I'm just gonna keep on with it; I've only applied a single coat of each and it has kept well for a couple of months now.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:05 PM
Gigi

Originally posted by SeanG
I don't think it is going to hurt to use either product. People have used both products and have had good results.
I agree...