Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Car Wash?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2004, 01:49 PM
gmanwith350z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Car Wash?

Did anyone take his/her roadster to automatic carwash (top up )?
Manual is not advising but it is very convinient to get fast cleaning ..

Gman
Old 05-10-2004, 02:23 PM
THE ROADSTER

I am too scared to take my roadster to the car wash. I rather wash it my self
Old 05-10-2004, 02:49 PM
SungNamZ

Don't do it! I manage 4 "Touchless' washes here in NM. While they do an excellent job, providing you don't rub your wheels. the water pressure is at approximately 1100-1200 psi. More than I would want to subject a roadster top to.
Old 05-10-2004, 03:29 PM
PharCyde

I did a little mini wash on mine yesterday. No waxing just a quick soap and water once over to get the nasty off - living by the beach is good for me but not for my Z.

I would recommend washing and waxing yourself. I would run my old car through the machine because I didn't really have anything invested in it and just wanted it clean. With my ZR it's different, I waited over a year and did countless hours of research before finally aquiring my ZR. It simply feels more rewarding for me to keep it clean and looking good then for someone else to do it for me.

-Aaron

Last edited by PharCyde; 05-10-2004 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-10-2004, 04:36 PM
Marksf1

When I got my ZR I started to wash my car myself. I did the Zaino wax and now wash on weekends. I still might take my BMW to the car wash but started to do that also. One thing I noticed is that I do a much better job than the car wash and at $10 per wash it was getting too expensive for the 2 cars.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:55 PM
DeZigner

Simply put, after 6 coats of Zaino, the Roadster washes so easily and quickly, it's not even worth the time to take it to a carwash. 15-20 minutes and you have a beautiful car.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:27 PM
rapidray

I wash my Roadster with Zaino and it takes about 3 bucks at the car wash (hand wash sprayer on low pressure.) No need to waste money or paint job & top at automated car washes in my opinion
Old 05-11-2004, 06:13 AM
jam350

Originally posted by DeZigner
Simply put, after 6 coats of Zaino, the Roadster washes so easily and quickly, it's not even worth the time to take it to a carwash. 15-20 minutes and you have a beautiful car.
This sounds like a smart way to go, especially with Denver's water use restrictions.

Ignoring elbow grease, can you give us an idea of your initial investment in time and money to get those 6 coats of Zaino on the car? (The time might be the fatal flaw for me.)

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2004, 05:55 AM
Whataguy5431

Default I'm with DeZigner

Zeta will never see a carwash by anyone other than me. I purchased the Zaino kit for around $75 and got about 11 layers out of the kit. Washing takes 30-45 min and each coat of Zaino takes about an hour in application and buffing time (maybe another hour between app and buff, but that's just enough time for a couple of beers and a breather).

Usually, I just wash car, which takes less than 45min, but about every 3-4 wks, I apply two coats of Zaino. The washing/Zainoing of Zeta has become kind of theraputic time for me, plus its a great workout for the upper body.
Old 05-12-2004, 07:06 AM
DeZigner

Originally posted by jam350
This sounds like a smart way to go, especially with Denver's water use restrictions.

Ignoring elbow grease, can you give us an idea of your initial investment in time and money to get those 6 coats of Zaino on the car? (The time might be the fatal flaw for me.)

Thanks.
Whataguy has it about right. However, my wash time is a quick 15-20 minutes. A coat of Zaino is 45 min. to an hour.

And BTW, your web site is GREAT. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails Car Wash?-zfield.jpg  
Old 05-12-2004, 10:45 PM
gmanwith350z

Thanks All! I will wash my car by myself. Sounds like there is a big concern about auto wash . ty
Old 05-12-2004, 11:25 PM
jam350

Whataguy has it about right. However, my wash time is a quick 15-20 minutes. A coat of Zaino is 45 min. to an hour.

And BTW, your web site is GREAT. Thanks.
Thanks for the kind words and the info.

I think I'll try the Zaino kit. If I get 15-minute car washes out of it, I'll definitely add it to the tips page on my site, with credit to you and Whataguy. I spent 45+ minutes cleaning the Z last Friday for a Z Car Club of Colorado ride, and today it got clobbered by rain mixed with snow.
Old 05-13-2004, 04:48 AM
DeZigner

Thanks for the kind words and the info.

I think I'll try the Zaino kit. If I get 15-minute car washes out of it, I'll definitely add it to the tips page on my site, with credit to you and Whataguy. I spent 45+ minutes cleaning the Z last Friday for a Z Car Club of Colorado ride, and today it got clobbered by rain mixed with snow.
Ahhhhh. Spring in Colorado!
It's going to be 77 degrees here in Kentucky. I think I'll go golfing : )

And yes, clubs do fit in the trunk!

PS - Your BLACK Roadster will probably add a few minutes to that 15 minute wash.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:46 PM
jam350

Ahhhhh. Spring in Colorado!
It's going to be 77 degrees here in Kentucky. I think I'll go golfing : )

And yes, clubs do fit in the trunk!

PS - Your BLACK Roadster will probably add a few minutes to that 15 minute wash.

Do you get the same distances out of those folidng clubs?

This spring we're having sunny 80° and snowy 35° days randomly intermixed. If you like surprises, you can't beat Denver weather.

One last question -- I'm not convinced that I need the entire Zaino kit (now $85 for the lesser package) to achieve the desired result. Which items are the essentials?

Thanks again. Fore!
Old 05-13-2004, 01:49 PM
Whataguy5431

Default Essesntials

Z5
Z6
Z2
applicators
DFT towels
Old 05-13-2004, 02:21 PM
jam350

Default Re: Essesntials

Originally posted by Whataguy5431
Z5
Z6
Z2
applicators
DFT towels
Much better! That adds up to $40 for me since I already have suitable towels. Now where did I put that elbow grease?

Thanks.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:31 PM
DeZigner

Do you get the same distances out of those folding clubs?
Actually, for all of you taller people out there, like myself, my clubs are 2" longer than the average and still fit into the trunk!

Whataguy is right on with his Zaino recommendation. However, I would add ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive. I have found it useful in speeding up the process.

Have fun!
Old 05-13-2004, 06:46 PM
LemanZ

I did a paint protection to both my interior and exterior, I only need to use water to clean the car, not even need to go to car wash!!!! The only problem is my rims get dirty very easy by the brake dust.......I may need to apply some kind of protection to the rims too
Old 05-14-2004, 05:20 AM
DeZigner

Originally posted by LemanZ
I did a paint protection to both my interior and exterior, I only need to use water to clean the car, not even need to go to car wash!!!! The only problem is my rims get dirty very easy by the brake dust.......I may need to apply some kind of protection to the rims too
I have put Zaino on the rims with some success. The rims do clean easier, but still are a pain in the butt.
Old 05-16-2004, 12:41 PM
Zcollector

Default Re: Essesntials

Essential for the Zaino.... Big Blue Towel (Microfiber) from www.properautocare.com.

Apply your Z2 or Z56 with ZFX in it, wait for 30 minutes for it to dry, buff with the Big Blue Towel, then wet the towel and rebuff the car. The wet Microfiber towel will remove the remaining residue from the paint (especially noticable with the SB).... Flawless shine!

DO NOT USE TERRY CLOTH TOWELS with the Super Black paint. The clear coat is very soft, and Terrycloth will leave swirls or scratches. The microfiber towel is a better option, and is not as harsh on the clearcoat.

Quick Reply: Car Wash?