Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

How To Disable Brake Safety While Opening The Top

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2004, 01:28 PM
GM-West

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loic: like Frank mentioned, the control unit is in fact right below the glass windscreen. You can see it just by lifting the black vinyl covering in the boot floor. Just open the top enough so that the top is pushing up toward the roll bars and leave it there.

The vinyl covering has Velcro along the corners. He says if you gently lift around the corners you’ll know how much can be lifted up without having to remove the plastic clips. You can see the unit but not work on it, unless you remove the plastic clips I mentioned before.
Old 05-24-2004, 10:25 AM
Loic

Originally posted by GM-West
Loic: like Frank mentioned, the control unit is in fact right below the glass windscreen. You can see it just by lifting the black vinyl covering in the boot floor. Just open the top enough so that the top is pushing up toward the roll bars and leave it there.

The vinyl covering has Velcro along the corners. He says if you gently lift around the corners you’ll know how much can be lifted up without having to remove the plastic clips. You can see the unit but not work on it, unless you remove the plastic clips I mentioned before.
I really need to find a 04 service manual.....unfortunatelly, all the Ebay vendors I contacted so far don't sell the 04 version that include the roadster....but I'm still looking...If somebody has one on CD, I'm willing to pay for a copy of it...
Old 05-24-2004, 02:19 PM
ct roadster

Hey guys,
Sorry, but I'm extremely leery of posting actual scans of the manual; in my position, it would be a really really really bad idea for me to trample on someone else's copyright.....

Besides, there's really not much to see in the schematic anyway. The green wire on pin 17 (hot in ign on) connects to a 10A fuse. (The other things it is connected to are not shown on the schematic -- these are automotive schematics!) The pin 38 pink/blue wire (brake sensor) connects to the switch on the brake pedal, and the other side of that switch is connected to a 10A fuse (different than the pin 17 fuse). I happen to know about the brakelights issue because I've looked at other schematics and cross-referenced the connectors. (The one thing that seems missing in the otherwise very nice Nissan service manual is a complete connector and electrical cross reference.)

One thing that may not have been quite clear in my earlier post: you CANNOT disconnect the green wire from the roof controller -- it must remain connected -- you MUST disconnect the pink/blue wire to achieve your goal, lest your mod result in your brake lights being always on. Because the roof controller is in parallel with the brake lights, that pin of the roof controller must be a high impedance node, so it should be fine to jumper the green wire over to it.

As for removing the roof room covering, I recommend using one of those forked trim removal tools available at auto places......

I may get around to making this mod to my roadster, but probably will not get to it for some time.......

-frank
Old 05-24-2004, 03:38 PM
jsheldon

Originally posted by Loic
I really need to find a 04 service manual.....unfortunatelly, all the Ebay vendors I contacted so far don't sell the 04 version that include the roadster....but I'm still looking...If somebody has one on CD, I'm willing to pay for a copy of it...
Can you not purchase it fron Nissan directly on-line? It looks a click away for either the CD or hardcopy:

"2004 Nissan 350Z Roadster Service Manual (VINs up to D*4T102000, A*4T002000)

$295.00 (USD)

The 2004 Nissan 350Z Service Manual consists of 2,750 pages in four volumes. It details service procedures and repair operations for the 2004 Nissan 350Z."

Jerry
Old 05-24-2004, 05:01 PM
Ghostlight

Default Extra manual

Originally posted by Loic
Since I had a radster that was totaled after only two weeks and just got a new roadster I think I haqve two manuals now.

Loic if I find it I would be happy to send it your way.
Old 05-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Loic

Default Re: Extra manual

Originally posted by Ghostlight
Since I had a radster that was totaled after only two weeks and just got a new roadster I think I haqve two manuals now.

Loic if I find it I would be happy to send it your way.
We're talking about the service manual not the owner manual that came with the car...
Old 05-24-2004, 06:24 PM
Loic

Originally posted by ct roadster
Hey guys,
Sorry, but I'm extremely leery of posting actual scans of the manual; in my position, it would be a really really really bad idea for me to trample on someone else's copyright.....

Besides, there's really not much to see in the schematic anyway. The green wire on pin 17 (hot in ign on) connects to a 10A fuse. (The other things it is connected to are not shown on the schematic -- these are automotive schematics!) The pin 38 pink/blue wire (brake sensor) connects to the switch on the brake pedal, and the other side of that switch is connected to a 10A fuse (different than the pin 17 fuse). I happen to know about the brakelights issue because I've looked at other schematics and cross-referenced the connectors. (The one thing that seems missing in the otherwise very nice Nissan service manual is a complete connector and electrical cross reference.)

One thing that may not have been quite clear in my earlier post: you CANNOT disconnect the green wire from the roof controller -- it must remain connected -- you MUST disconnect the pink/blue wire to achieve your goal, lest your mod result in your brake lights being always on. Because the roof controller is in parallel with the brake lights, that pin of the roof controller must be a high impedance node, so it should be fine to jumper the green wire over to it.

As for removing the roof room covering, I recommend using one of those forked trim removal tools available at auto places......

I may get around to making this mod to my roadster, but probably will not get to it for some time.......

-frank
That's good information, however I'm not going to mess with my car wirring until a a get a service manual with full schematics...
Old 05-25-2004, 12:58 PM
ct roadster

Loic, no problem -- no one is telling you to "mess with your car"; I was only providing the information you asked for (and need to do what you want to do). If you have a problem with this, well, then you need to pony up the $295 for an authorized legit copy of the factory service manual. You can order it from: http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...p?dept%5Fid=45

It's available printed (4 volumes, several thousand pages) for $295 or on CD (cheaper: $210), your choice. I think they also have subscription based internet access, where you can buy as little as one day of access.......

As for schematics, you might find yourself sorely disappointed: the schematics in service manuals are to help you diagnose problems, not modify things. So they are oriented to particular circuits, not universal drawings. If the Nissan manual has a complete cross reference, I haven't found it.

Have at it! (But don't use this forum to request that others help you violate someone else's legitimate copyright.)

-frank

Last edited by ct roadster; 05-25-2004 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-25-2004, 09:06 PM
Loic

Originally posted by ct roadster
Loic, no problem -- no one is telling you to "mess with your car"; I was only providing the information you asked for (and need to do what you want to do). If you have a problem with this, well, then you need to pony up the $295 for an authorized legit copy of the factory service manual. You can order it from: http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissa...p?dept%5Fid=45

It's available printed (4 volumes, several thousand pages) for $295 or on CD (cheaper: $210), your choice. I think they also have subscription based internet access, where you can buy as little as one day of access.......

As for schematics, you might find yourself sorely disappointed: the schematics in service manuals are to help you diagnose problems, not modify things. So they are oriented to particular circuits, not universal drawings. If the Nissan manual has a complete cross reference, I haven't found it.

Have at it! (But don't use this forum to request that others help you violate someone else's legitimate copyright.)

-frank
Thanks for the info you provided Frank, what I meant is that I will not connect/cut/change wires from my harness without having some type of schematic in front of me. I have a master degree in Power Electronics and I have been involve in the design of several electric vehicles in the past and it is common rule do get schematics before making modification to such a complex system, that's all. (Concerning the copyright law, I really don't need a lecture...)
Old 08-24-2004, 06:05 PM
kosta157

does anyone have a wire schematic for this yet?
Old 08-24-2004, 09:36 PM
elyliu

i think everyone just sucked it up...and apply brake while operating the top...
Old 08-30-2004, 06:27 PM
Loic

Unfortunatelly, I haven't yet been able to put my hands on a 2004 service manual...
Old 09-01-2004, 08:35 AM
jim-n-cathy

I don't get it. Why the interest in disabling a safety feature? For those odd times when you're stuck in slow-moving traffic on the freeway? Doesn't make sense to me.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:39 PM
elyliu

yes for those times you get stuck in slow moving traffic and when you try to open/close the top at a stop light and traffic starts moving....
Old 09-01-2004, 06:00 PM
dpeters

I tested something today and I'm not sure the brake mod will work properly.
I was sitting in traffic today and pressed the brake in as far as it would go and still allow the car to move at a relatively slow rate of speed (I have a stick shift but feathering the gas/brake seemed to work well enough). It seems as though my 04 senses how fast it's traveling and, even with the brake pushed in, the car will not allow the top to be opened/closed when your speed is over a certain rate. It looks as though the brake sensor is not the only obstacle to overcome.

I think a better mod would be to see if the open/close button doesn't need to be held down the entire time. It would be nice to push it and not have to hold it the whole time.
Old 09-02-2004, 07:41 PM
kosta157

I don't recommend this anymore, press your brake down lightly and you can still retract the top but watch how your tonneu cover moves it starts flapping back and forth could cause it to crack or worse break off.
Old 09-03-2004, 05:38 AM
tractionZ

Well, my interest is peaked. I bet I could rig a circuit to a solenoid that might be able to "pop" the latch and then have your keyless window-roller-downer button do the top. It'll be a while as I'm in the midst of restoring a couple race bikes, but I'll keep you all posted. Expect at least 1 month dev time after I receive the service manual. I'll order it up tonight. If it works, I'll make a bunch.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:12 PM
GM-West

TractionZ, name your price and I'll be first in line. Do you really think it's possible to rig a circuit to a solenoid and trigger the latch?

I've taken my ZR into a few shops that all were not able to disable the brake safety but I haven't given up on that yet. If I had more time, I would call every shop in Los Angeles. Someone has got to be able to do it.
Old 09-03-2004, 12:53 PM
Richardew

You can download a copy of the manual from Nissan to $20. It gives you access for 24 hours to all sorts of Nissan and Infiniti service manuals. If you have broadband you can download the manual in minutes.
nissan-techinfo.com
Rich
Old 09-03-2004, 07:00 PM
Loic

Originally posted by Richardew
You can download a copy of the manual from Nissan to $20. It gives you access for 24 hours to all sorts of Nissan and Infiniti service manuals. If you have broadband you can download the manual in minutes.
nissan-techinfo.com
Rich
You're telling me that you can dowload the service manual for $20? The same service manual that is on sale on the web site for $295...
Anyway, I already register so I'll give it a shot tomorrow...
I should at least be able to get the electric wirring...(I already have a copy of the 2003 service manual, but infortunatelly it does not cover the roadster)

Quick Reply: How To Disable Brake Safety While Opening The Top