Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Car too smart

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 09:36 AM
shopdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Car too smart

Had a strange experience. My roadster was sitting in the driveway with the top up, the windows closed, and locked. It was a hot day. When I came out, both the driver's and passenger's windows were rolled down about 2 inches. I didn't do it. No one else could have because I've got the keys and it is locked. The car did it.

Now I don't believe that the car is actually smart enough to realize it is getting too hot inside and rolled down the windows. I suspect some sort of heat related malfunction. It hasn't done it again, but it sure was startling.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:57 AM
SteveZzz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure you didn't accidentally press the unlock button on the key fob?? Pressing it and holding it for 5 seconds will start the windows to roll down.

I was in my garage one day and my Z windows started down all by themselves. I quickly realized that I had a bunch of junk in my pocket and when I bent down to get something out from underneath my workbench the unlock button got depressed and held by the other junk in my pccket.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:17 AM
shopdog

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by SteveZzz
Are you sure you didn't accidentally press the unlock button on the key fob?? Pressing it and holding it for 5 seconds will start the windows to roll down.

I was in my garage one day and my Z windows started down all by themselves. I quickly realized that I had a bunch of junk in my pocket and when I bent down to get something out from underneath my workbench the unlock button got depressed and held by the other junk in my pccket.
Yeah, I know about that. I don't think that's what happened because I had the keys in my hand as I came out the door to go to the car. I suppose the button might have gotten accidentally depressed while I was still in the house.

What got me, though, was that the windows were cracked just the amount I would have done it on purpose to keep the interior from getting too hot. It seemed so deliberate.

On a tangent, I would have thought that the convertible top wouldn't hold in heat the way a metal top does. But it certainly does. The interior of the car gets *very* hot sitting out there all buttoned up. My other cars, all hardtops, don't seem to get as hot inside as the Z does, and I've got the light Frost interior.
Old 07-28-2004, 09:23 PM
elyliu

did you pay extra for the "special" auto window roll down feature? jk....

Maybe it's hotter because it has less insulation?
Old 07-30-2004, 06:04 AM
roydiculous

Be careful, the window motors SUCK. I need to get mine replaced. There are threads on how people walk up to their cars and their window is half down.. not good from a theft prospective or if it's raining out!
Old 07-30-2004, 10:14 AM
zrdude

There is a TSB on the window motor issue. Not sure what it is. My dealer brought it up to me when I was in there and replaced my window motors for me.

If the window doesn't drop down 10mm when you open the door, then it won't seal the convertible top properly. Or that's what they told me anyway... At least they offered to do it for me, rather than waiting for me to complain about it.

Originally posted by roydiculous
Be careful, the window motors SUCK. I need to get mine replaced. There are threads on how people walk up to their cars and their window is half down.. not good from a theft prospective or if it's raining out!
Old 07-31-2004, 10:14 PM
elyliu

wow it's supposed to move 10 mm after you close? mine is more like 3-4mm

maybe that explain the lil bit of water that gets trapped between the window and the rubber trimming after a car wash (hand wash)....

haven't been in the rain for more than 15 minutes yet, so dunno if it leaks...