Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Blue Dots on Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 05:40 PM
Penderwheels

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blue Dots on Wheels

04 Roadster w/ stock 17" wheels. Build date 6/04. Each wheel has a blue dot on it. About 3/16 " diameter but not perfectly round. Random locations: Two wheels have dots on the spokes and two have them on the rim just outside of the spokes.

They almost look like they're under the clear coat. Scratching with thumbnail does not remove them but they feel slightly raised.

Sorry no pix.

Anybody got any ideas ???

Last edited by Penderwheels; 08-13-2004 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-13-2004, 06:15 PM
dkny_boi

I had some on my coupe 18" wheels upon pick up of my car. They rubbed off eventually when i washed them though.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:05 PM
jakespeed

The dots indicate the low spot (or maybe the high spot) on the wheel. There is a dot on the tire at the high spot as well. When the tires are mounted, these spots are lined up in order to try to get the most perfect round wheel/tire combination. If you scrape it off they can't line it up next time unless they use a road force balancer....or that is how it was explained to me.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:43 AM
ezee

The dots were applied by hand to hide imperfections in the paint. I carefully scrapped them off and found that each dot covered a tiny flaw, that is why they are in random locations.

Funny thing is the dots are much more noticable than the flaws they attempt to hide.

Last edited by ezee; 08-14-2004 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-20-2004, 11:45 AM
jsheldon

Originally posted by jakespeed
The dots indicate the low spot (or maybe the high spot) on the wheel. There is a dot on the tire at the high spot as well. When the tires are mounted, these spots are lined up in order to try to get the most perfect round wheel/tire combination. If you scrape it off they can't line it up next time unless they use a road force balancer....or that is how it was explained to me.
This is close. Actually: " Original Equipment (OE) tire suppliers are required to mark the tire's “high point” while OE wheel manufacturers mark the wheel's “low point.” This helps the vehicle manufacturer match mount combinations that maximize new car ride quality while reducing the amount of balancing weight."
Old 08-22-2004, 09:37 AM
rjaustin

Mine are grey -- I almost didn't notice them