Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

XM Roady install 350z Roadster

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2004, 09:08 AM
chrisrafter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Roady install 350z Roadster

I just got my XM Roady and hooked it up (note: not 'installed') it in my blue 350z roadster. I have the receiver unit in the center dash storage compartment (where the nav would go, I don't have the nav system), but it's just sitting there held in place by gravity and the door when it's closed. The low profile antenna I mounted on the narrow strip of painted sheetmetal right above the passenger's A pillar. It does not interfere with the top movement at all there.

My question is this: I would like to do a sunken install in the cover door of that dash storage compartment thing. I'd like to cut a rectangular hole in the cover, stick the face of the roady through from the back, secure it, cover over the cuts with trim ending, and just have a nice clean face of the roady nearly flush with the rest of the dash, right in the middle.

Anyone done this?

Does anyone know how much a new cover costs in case I totally buzzsaw it and have to start over?
Old 08-18-2004, 10:39 AM
FoleyF

I have an 04 Roadster now, but in my 03 coupe I had Circuit City mount my Delphi SkyFi unit in the nav compartment. I would recommend doing that for many reasons. The main reason being that at least with the Delphi, you could remove it from the Nav Compartment easily and mount it to a boom box or to your home stereo. It's a clean install and the mounting cradle fits like a glove.

Foley
Old 08-18-2004, 11:12 AM
chrisrafter

Originally posted by FoleyF
I have an 04 Roadster now, but in my 03 coupe I had Circuit City mount my Delphi SkyFi unit in the nav compartment. I would recommend doing that for many reasons. The main reason being that at least with the Delphi, you could remove it from the Nav Compartment easily and mount it to a boom box or to your home stereo. It's a clean install and the mounting cradle fits like a glove.

Foley
So you just used the stick-on mounting cradle that came with the radio? I hadn't thought of that. That's not a bad idea. I guess the other plus is that you can close the nav compartment door and people can't see the roady. Can you see the display well from the driver's seat with the door open?