Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

Poor NJ Roadster driver

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 06:26 AM
afr0puff

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Poor NJ Roadster driver

So there was this guy in a Silverstone Z with the top down enjoying the morning sun while commuting to work. Two highways merge into one. So in front of him gets this construction/dump truck. This is all at about 50-60 mph. The truck hits a bump. All this sand/dirt/rocks came flying off the truck and landed in front of the Z creating a cloud of crap. The Z was engulfed in it. Poor guy.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:45 AM
havabooz

that really does suck.....every time i get behind one of those i always daydream and think about what i would do if that would happen

no joke i really do....sucks that he really cant do anything....except maybe if the trucks are required to really secure the contents of the truck
Old 06-04-2004, 03:09 PM
ohw

Since i had my ZR, I have been trying very hard to stay back from big trucks by one or two extra car length. For one, try to minimise rock chips. And 99% of the time someone would cut in between me and the truck to block the rocks and crap.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:10 PM
z0ner

Originally posted by havabooz
no joke i really do....sucks that he really cant do anything....except maybe if the trucks are required to really secure the contents of the truck
Sure he could do something. He can take the owner of that truck (or company) to small claims to repair the damage. Easiest case ever won!

Are you telling me that if you were moving a refrigerator in a pick-up truck and it flew out of the bed that you wouldn't be responsible for the damage it causes?

I'd be all over this. New paint, new windshield. Easy.
Old 06-07-2004, 11:40 AM
timothyaw

Angry

Same thing happened to me in a NEW car of mine a couple of years ago. I was driving on the freeway and a dump truck(a little ways ahead I don't drive right behind them) hit a bump and a hard dirt ball hit the nose of my car going at speed and put a small dent in my hood and messed up the paint. It was about the size of a silver dollar. I had to take it to the body shop $250.00
Old 06-07-2004, 12:04 PM
Marksf1

I usually try to stay bacj from the dirt trucks. Here in California they always have 2 dirt beds. I on the initial truck and then tow another. It really gets me that they don't even put the net over the bed. Everytime I seem to try to go around them there always seems to be someone blocking the lanes next to them. They seem to cruise at the same speed the truck is going and not trying to get around the truck. Then the truck just spews rocks and dirt over all our cars. It amazes me that these people don't get out of the way of all the dirt.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:07 PM
z0ner

Gravel trucks are a real PITA. Here in CA there are several rock quarries in the San Gabriel Valley, and they use the 605 as their main starting point. I used to commute on that ****ed fwy from one end to the other, for 3 years. My poor civic was so thrashed that I vowed NEVER to take the Z on it.

If the beds of the trucks aren't completely exposed with **** flying out they're watered down and therefore spraying mud all over the freeway. ****ing Armageddon.

Stay clear of the 605. It's an easy death to the Z's.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:53 AM
2002 Maxima SE

Coming home from Pa in 1998 in my F150 I was being hit by rocks the size of golf ***** (and some the size of baseballs) on I-81. Cars were slamming on brakes and weaving back and forth. Came up on the culprit, a large 18 wheeler with closed trailer however there were rocks lined up across his rear bumper. Everytime he hit a bump one or two would bounce back at traffic.

Was it done on purpose? You decide. I called the state police and gave them all of his and my information. I stayed behind him (at a safe distance with blinkers on) as he swerved back and forth lane to lane. At this point I had been hit twice, once on the hood and once on the roof. He took the next exit and so did I. He went under the bridge for I-81 and into a McDonalds. Great I thought, I'll let him know what happened. He went around like he was going to get take out and then got back out on the road. He started heading back onto the highway THE SAME WAY HE WAS TRAVELING TO BEGIN WITH!!! In other words, he was trying to lose me. Right at that time, two state troopers swooped in. One stopped me at a gas station the other stopped the truck up the road on I-81. I checked my truck and had no damage...not even a dent. The trooper came back and said the trucker did not know the rocks were back there and said nothing about our little McDonalds manouver. He asked if I had damage and that the trucker was up the road waiting on me. I said I was fine and left.

Very odd day.