Notices
350Z Roadster General discussion for the 350Z Roadster

how much up and down can the top handle?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 11:42 AM
Speedracer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default how much up and down can the top handle?

Every time I park in a public place, I put the top up. I put it up in the parking lot at work. When I'm driving, it always goes down. If I'm running errands on a Saturday, the top may go up and down 5-6 times in a day. How much do you all think is too much. Will I wear out the motor or have top fitment problems in a year?

Last edited by Speedracer; 08-23-2004 at 11:45 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Ivey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am constantly putting it up and down as well due to flash rain storms and the fear of having anyone lift anything from inside the cab. As long as it is under warranty I recommend using it frequently to uncover any problems you might have. I have already had my top and frame replaced under the “pinhole” problem. As you continue to use it keep an eye on the top of the window frame where is latches in the center and on the sides for wear and every now and then check the latches inside the cover for chipping or wear.

My guess is that Nissan designed the motor to work under normal use for as long as the warranty covers it (and not one day more). If you use it a lot and it goes out before then, you will get it replaced for free… If you use it much less and it goes out a day after the warranty expires then you gotta pay for it all.
Old 08-23-2004, 05:18 PM
boldenmd

Originally posted by Ivey
My guess is that Nissan designed the motor to work under normal use for as long as the warranty covers it (and not one day more). If you use it a lot and it goes out before then, you will get it replaced for free… If you use it much less and it goes out a day after the warranty expires then you gotta pay for it all.
I guess this means I'll just have to buy a new one in three years. Darn!
Old 08-25-2004, 06:30 AM
Zcollector

Just do it when the car is running. That top mechanism is a huge strain on that battery.

Actually, I think that "excercising" the top is good for it. It keeps the material flexible, and doesn't allow for the bushings etc in the frame to dry out.
Old 08-25-2004, 11:03 AM
ephilyawjr

Default Bad Top Motor

I have 7200 miles on my 11 Month old baby.

The top motor is aleardy failing on me. After the top goes up and it is finishing up the motor still runs for like 3 seconds, so you hear a grinding noise. The parts are on order for them to replace it now.