Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UTECH or AAM ECU Reflash?

I have most of your basic bolt-on components for a nonrev-up motor:
  • Pop-Charger
  • MotorDyne 5/16 Plenum
  • UD Pulley
  • Resonated Test Pipes
  • 2.5" Exhaust
I do not think I am going to invest the $7,000 or so it would take to go turbo, given that would it be worth it to invest in a UTECH w/tune ($1400) or simply go with an AAM reflash ($600).

What is the major difference?

Thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 10:36 AM
Oleg

Originally Posted by k_brumsted
  • Pop-Charger
  • MotorDyne 5/16 Plenum
  • UD Pulley
  • Resonated Test Pipes
  • 2.5" Exhaust
I do not think I am going to invest the $7,000 or so it would take to go turbo, given that would it be worth it to invest in a UTECH w/tune ($1400) or simply go with an AAM reflash ($600).

Thanks
Why not both?
Old 07-11-2007, 11:58 AM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by k_brumsted
  • Pop-Charger
  • MotorDyne 5/16 Plenum
  • UD Pulley
  • Resonated Test Pipes
  • 2.5" Exhaust

Thanks
reflash. With your mods I would say you will gain 10-20 hp (probably closer to 20). That's what most people are getting with your mods.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:40 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
reflash. With your mods I would say you will gain 10-20 hp (probably closer to 20). That's what most people are getting with your mods.
20 whp? I highly doubt that...

I would do the flash since you're not going FI; UTEC would be good for both, but a flash is good enough for NA.

TS/Osiris/UTEC FTW

Old 07-11-2007, 06:04 PM
Conceyted

http://www.uprev.com/products/osiris_NI.html

^ get that over aam reflash IMO
Old 07-11-2007, 06:06 PM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by skaterbasist
20 whp? I highly doubt that...

I would do the flash since you're not going FI; UTEC would be good for both, but a flash is good enough for NA.

TS/Osiris/UTEC FTW

you're wrong. I've met pleanty of people with these mods that have had a reflash/utec installed (most of these being g35 guys). Sorry champ. Definitely talk to the guys at AAM. They're pretty awesome.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:45 PM
Conceyted

you're wrong. I've met pleanty of people with these mods that have had a reflash/utec installed (most of these being g35 guys). Sorry champ. Definitely talk to the guys at AAM. They're pretty awesome.
20 rwhp from a reflash? Even AAM posted more conservative numbers. Why don't you do a search around before you tell others they are wrong. I can singlehandedly dig up 3 threads with dyno info proving less than 20 hp from an aam reflash right this second.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:50 PM
skaterbasist

Have they actually proven to you that they gained these results? Or is it just all talk? I wouldn't believe anyone from such a statement unless they prove it to you with actual proof.

Even with results, you can easily manipulate a dyno to give you "added power", or so it seems.

I tend to agree that a reflash for a full bolt-on 350Z/G35 (Intake, Spacer, MREV, Headers, Cats, Exhaust) will yield around 10 to 15 rwp across most of the powerband and around 10 to 15 wtq. But this is being optimistic.

The point of a tune is to get that AFR to a healthy level (and timings), so if theres almost no results in power, the reflash has still done its job.

Power is only available when its too rich or lean.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:06 PM
first350

https://my350z.com/forum/tuning/246942-aam-flash-o-dyno-pics-and-vid.html

there's my thread w/ dyno's of AAM's flash - great company and ppl!!!

when ppl start qouting power increase, you need to ask if it's crank, flywheel, or wheel...there's a difference due to drivetrain losses.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:29 PM
eltness350
The Untouchable

i would go utec, u can get them for 700 shipped so u could tune and still stay under a thousand...u know the mod bug might hit ya someday....
Old 07-11-2007, 08:47 PM
Conceyted

Originally Posted by eltness350
i would go utec, u can get them for 700 shipped so u could tune and still stay under a thousand...u know the mod bug might hit ya someday....
a few selling points with osiris versus utec. One, you must retune the utec per mod you do unless you do your mods in bulk. This requires 400 or so dollars for dyno runs and tuning on top of mod costs. The osiris maps are free and they will retune you at no cost. Two, the initial install and tune cost is cheaper for osiris than utec, a total of 300-500 dollars cheaper. Third, the osiris allows logging of every sensor in the vehicle without any extra setup, hardware, etc. These are the reasons I am going with osiris. If I was going FI i would have a utec already. However, for the money, you cant beat a reflash for N/A tuning. Honestly, if money wasnt a concern, id get both
Old 07-11-2007, 09:38 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by Conceyted
a few selling points with osiris versus utec. One, you must retune the utec per mod you do unless you do your mods in bulk. This requires 400 or so dollars for dyno runs and tuning on top of mod costs. The osiris maps are free and they will retune you at no cost. Two, the initial install and tune cost is cheaper for osiris than utec, a total of 300-500 dollars cheaper. Third, the osiris allows logging of every sensor in the vehicle without any extra setup, hardware, etc. These are the reasons I am going with osiris. If I was going FI i would have a utec already. However, for the money, you cant beat a reflash for N/A tuning. Honestly, if money wasnt a concern, id get both
Everything you said is correct, but the Osiris mods are currently estimates or best guesses. Normally people adjust UTECs based on real time dyno runs on the specific vehicle that prove to be more accurate.

I'm interested in the not-yet-released Osiris Tuner Module that will allow Tuners to tune NA cars with Osiris and eliminate the UTEC. That should be the best of all worlds.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:45 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by __jb
Everything you said is correct, but the Osiris mods are currently estimates or best guesses. Normally people adjust UTECs based on real time dyno runs on the specific vehicle that prove to be more accurate.

I'm interested in the not-yet-released Osiris Tuner Module that will allow Tuners to tune NA cars with Osiris and eliminate the UTEC. That should be the best of all worlds.
You can do the same with the Osiris. The cipher is included with the Osiris pack, so you can just log and send them the data log for fine tuning. And if you happen to have a current dyno with AFR along, you can also send that to them for fine tuning

Old 07-11-2007, 09:55 PM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

You can do the same with the Osiris. The cipher is included with the Osiris pack, so you can just log and send them the data log for fine tuning. And if you happen to have a current dyno with AFR along, you can also send that to them for fine tuning.
Correct. A dyno run is required for UpRev to create Osiris maps with timing optimizations.

I think there is merit in hooking your car up to a dyno and tuning it in real time. I hope professional Tuners adapt Osiris for NA applications. I think Osiris can make the OEM ECU better than a UTEC (for NA) once UpRev's Tuner Kit is available. I think that will be the best of both worlds.

Last edited by __jb; 07-11-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:39 AM
Conceyted

Correct. A dyno run is required for UpRev to create Osiris maps with timing optimizations.

I think there is merit in hooking your car up to a dyno and tuning it in real time. I hope professional Tuners adapt Osiris for NA applications. I think Osiris can make the OEM ECU better than a UTEC (for NA) once UpRev's Tuner Kit is available. I think that will be the best of both worlds.
I agree, but honestly the difference in HP we are talking is pretty minimal for NA. Fine tuning for FI is obviously a must but NA really doesn't need it and really wont yield as much horsepower to really be worth the extra 400 dollars in my eyes.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:57 AM
__jb
Z + Rear Seat

Originally Posted by Conceyted
I agree, but honestly the difference in HP we are talking is pretty minimal for NA. Fine tuning for FI is obviously a must but NA really doesn't need it and really wont yield as much horsepower to really be worth the extra 400 dollars in my eyes.
You're probably right. I don't really know because I have not had mine tuned yet.

My short term plans are to upgrade my Cipher software to Osiris. I'm going to try UpRev's maps for my mods and monitor A/F and timing with Cipher. I think I've changed enough things on my car that a tune is warranted.

At some time I will get my car dyno'd and tuned. Hopefully it will be using Osiris and burning the real time dyno tuning values into my OEM ECU. Maybe I will end up getting a UTEC because the Tuner feels more comfortable with it.

IAE, I will test it on the dyno with the Osiris tune and afterwards with the real time tune and UTEC. I'm curious to see how much difference there is. I won't be doing the dyno tune for a month or two, but I'll post back here when I have the results.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:35 AM
PunKidd

FYI, there are a couple of pro tuners that are already using the Osiris tuning suite. Sam @ GTM has it and Mark @ SGP has it. This is the beta version that will not be released to end users. It's just not user friendly enough. The redesign is in the works. I don't want to set any dates, but I will say I want to get it out ASAP because I'm getting overwhelmed w/ eTunes already. The sooner we can get it released the sooner we can start sending people to their local tuners .
Jared@UpRev.com
Old 07-12-2007, 01:55 PM
skaterbasist

Originally Posted by PunKidd
FYI, there are a couple of pro tuners that are already using the Osiris tuning suite. Sam @ GTM has it and Mark @ SGP has it. This is the beta version that will not be released to end users. It's just not user friendly enough. The redesign is in the works. I don't want to set any dates, but I will say I want to get it out ASAP because I'm getting overwhelmed w/ eTunes already. The sooner we can get it released the sooner we can start sending people to their local tuners .
Jared@UpRev.com

Hmmm this kinda concerns me. Does this mean that UpRev will no longer do the tunes via internet? That's whats so awesome about this UpRev Osiris. Just plug it in and upload!

Also, im pretty sure that the local tuners would charge for this service; contrary to what UpRev is currently doing.

I don't think I would like to get re-tunes/updated reflashes for what typical local tuners charge for ($150-300 for just updates on the tune)

Old 07-12-2007, 02:05 PM
josh846

Skater, they are having other pro-tuners set up to use it so you can take your car there and get it tuned in person. I would imagine that anyone with FI needs to get it done in person, not just an E-mail flash. If you are not FI then I am sure UPREV's E-mail tunes will do fine. It is always better though to be able to actually have the car on the dyno and tune it in person.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:15 PM
PunKidd

Hmmm this kinda concerns me. Does this mean that UpRev will no longer do the tunes via internet? That's whats so awesome about this UpRev Osiris. Just plug it in and upload!

Also, im pretty sure that the local tuners would charge for this service; contrary to what UpRev is currently doing.

I don't think I would like to get re-tunes/updated reflashes for what typical local tuners charge for ($150-300 for just updates on the tune)

We'll still offer eTuning for AFR, but it should lighten my load quite a bit if people can go to their local tuner for a full blown dyno tune (which is better than eTuning where we only mess w/ the AFR on a generic base ignition map).

Quick Reply: UTECH or AAM ECU Reflash?