Notices
Photography Techniques, Cameras, Lenses, & Equipment

Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Ultra Wide Angle Lens test shots

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 12:04 PM
ctwentytwo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Ultra Wide Angle Lens test shots

Just got the Sigma 10-20mm. All I can say is that I should not have waited this long to get this lens. Was planning to use it at the past auto show here in Honolulu, but got it a day late. It's cheaper than the Canon EF-S 10-22mm, but the pros love the Sigma none the less. It also comes with the lens hood and awesome soft case.

Also got the 430EX flash, although I'm planning to get the 580EX also so I can use the 430 as a slave. Planning on some portraits later. We'll see how it turns out on cars too.

Went out to that overpass again. Shot at 10mm.

Compared to a shot taken at 50mm with the 50mm f1.8

At 10mm, it really allows you to distort and exaggerate parts of your car. Took this shot standing no more than 6 inches away from the bumper.

I'm used to using longer focal lengths, so using 10mm took some getting used to. It still amazes me how close you can be to the car at 10mm.

Some shots though, when at certain angles, can really distort your car and give it a weird, twisted, stretched, look. Interesting, but not flattering.

There is green flare though, as exhibited by the following 2 shots... but this was shot with front lighting as you can see. Don't know how this compares to other lenses in it's class personally, but the lens test sites say they favor comparably.

More ugly green flare. What's great though about a wide angle though, is it diminishes the presence of the background objects like the signs in the rear, and gives prominence to the sky.

A TIP FOR THE BEGINNERS: When shooting with sun lit front light, use the built-in flash. This shot would have been underexposed (dark) without the flash on.

Black and white looks pretty cool.

Only possible with an ultra wide angle.

Extremely happy with the Sigma. I had the Sigma 17-70 previously, and feel they are an excellent value. These Sigmas are heavier and better built than Canon's consumer line lenses. Plus it comes with a hood and case.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:07 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the same lens for a bit more of a year now and like it too. When used correctly you can get some amazing results. 30 years ago a lens like this would be worth thousands of dollars. It is amazing quite and does a good job on close ups too.

Well done on the pictures above!

ETA: I've never had green flare that bad.
Old 08-30-2007, 12:40 PM
Vertex350

You take the most amazing pics bro. Were you a photography major?
Old 08-30-2007, 12:49 PM
Mazinger Z

Wow...great shots.
Old 08-30-2007, 01:13 PM
HafAzn2nr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

SICK pictures
Old 08-30-2007, 02:26 PM
noodleman

LOVE that last pics. Your'e around about the ultra wides, they produce some funky interesting effects!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:29 PM
mario23

Great pics. I've been wanting to get that lens for my Nikon for a while now. Love the wide angle!
Old 08-30-2007, 02:44 PM
Juno

Great shots! I think this will be the next lens I buy!
Old 08-30-2007, 06:04 PM
GTNPU Z
VERTEX Army CEO

Beautiful Shots!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 06:52 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stunning pics. This is my favorite. The color in this photo pops out like a third nipple on a chick

What is the green spot on the pic? UFO? Ghost?
Old 08-30-2007, 08:41 PM
ohSIXz

close up shots with a wide angle lense... reminds me of south park!

awesome pictures mang!
Old 08-30-2007, 10:34 PM
UrbanTacticZ

Just a few questions.

What Canon body are you using? Can this lens be mounted on a 10D as well as a 20D?

What causes the green flare? I've never experienced that but then again I have never used a wide angle that wide before.

Nice pics too

Last edited by UrbanTacticZ; 08-30-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:40 PM
Conceyted

Was the 50mm shot taken with a kit lens?
Old 08-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Jabdo233

Kickass shots. Hawaii is the perfect place to live to get all that great scenery in there. Keep it up.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:46 PM
Jabdo233

Originally Posted by solidsnake
Stunning pics. This is my favorite. The color in this photo pops out like a third nipple on a chick

Oh that's just toxic gas coming from the grass over there. It's nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:15 AM
sokudo9l6

awesome pictures man.
Old 08-31-2007, 01:04 AM
ctwentytwo

First off, thanks for the comments guys. It is not my intention to be a picture *****, but rather show members here just how good "snapshots" can make your car look. I just wish I had other cars to shoot.

Again, I know there are tons here that got their hands on their first DSLR and are wondering how come their pictures still look like a point and shoot. I like looking at great photos of cars, and I'd just like to motivate and show just how simple it is to take a good shot.

But I need to really find better locations that doesn't have weeds in the background. These were just TEST SHOTS

Originally Posted by Vertex350
You take the most amazing pics bro. Were you a photography major?
No, I just like tinkering with stuff. It amazes me how easy it is to take a good shot, you just need the right tools. Don't get me wrong, a pro can make a point and shoot do wonders though, which I can't. Really, I'm not that good.

Originally Posted by solidsnake
That's called flare or otherwise "lens flare". With digital photography, sometimes this can show up as other colors also.

Here's the Canon 50mm f1.8 showing purple:

How does flare happen? It happens when there is a bright light source in the frame. How do you prevent it? Shade the front element of the lens with something... or use a lens hood.

In the case of the above photos, with the sun shining directly into the lens, flare could not be helped as the sun is within the frame of the picture. The lens does include a hood, and was used in the shots.

Originally Posted by UrbanTacticZ
Just a few questions.

What Canon body are you using? Can this lens be mounted on a 10D as well as a 20D?

What causes the green flare? I've never experienced that but then again I have never used a wide angle that wide before.

Nice pics too
I'm using the XTi. The Sigma 10-20mm is made for cropped 1.6 sensor bodies like the XTi, XT, 350D, 10D, 20D, and 30D. Yes, you can use them on the 10D or 20D, but make sure you get a Canon mount version.

You can also use them on full frame bodies, but since the rear element will be closer to the sensor, the result will look like a fisheye with a black, circular border, but without the fisheye distortion.

What causes flare? See above.

Originally Posted by Conceyted
Was the 50mm shot taken with a kit lens?
No, it was taken with the EF 50mm 1.8... although the kit lens does take long exposure shots really well. The star like formation flaring off the lights will be shaped differently though.

Anyways, took more test shots today, this time with a friend's car... just so I don't get accused of being more of a picture ho.

More green flare!! The sun was really harsh and in some shots, was located mid frame, so the flare came out extremely bad. Now I know not to put the sun in the frame, or wait for cloud cover to avoid this problem.

Didn't like the framing, so I cropped this heavily. Check out all that flare. Hid the ugly green by turning this B&W.

Cropped the flare out of this one. Again, the sun was really in a bad position for photography, with no clouds cover. Wait for sunset to avoid it.

Shimmering flare hidden with B&W.

Ditto

Old 08-31-2007, 01:30 AM
ctwentytwo

Oh, and BTW, I'm really happy with these shots I took... mounted on a tripod that was laid down. Been meaning to do this for a while, but didn't have the ultra wide angle. Drove around, even on the freeway, and just kept pressing the remote which was in my shifting hand (you can see the remote in my hand in some shots. Shot with Tv AE @ 8, 5, and 10 second settings. Just be sure to clean your windshield as you can see how oily mine was, and to clean the interior... I should have closed the ashtray. I wish I had some brides, the CF overlays, the momo factory option wheel... oh well.

Wait for it to load... 20 images. I can't decide which is the best one... so I'll post just a sample of what was took... took over 100 of these shots.

Am I happy with the Sigma? Oh yeah.

Been thinking about getting an ultra wide? What you waiting for?

ENJOY!

Last edited by ctwentytwo; 08-31-2007 at 01:38 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:33 AM
dsmal

The in car shots are sweet.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:42 AM
asianracerchick

WOW damn erwin nice pics....so wat when we going have one photoshoot since my car is still super clean? lemme know

Quick Reply: Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Ultra Wide Angle Lens test shots