Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

No, I'm not going to turbocharge it... My TT G35.

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 01:13 PM
BlinkerFluid

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No, I'm not going to turbocharge it... My TT G35.

I've been a bit more active over here so I decided to post a small build thread.

2004.5 G35 Coupe, 6 speed with the spoiler and Brembos in Brilliant Silver. I purchased it in November of 2007 with 14K miles on the clock. I had planned simple bolt on mods and time after time defended my position of keeping it N/A, as I didn't need another turbocharged high power car, the one I had was enough. I added the carbon bits, wheels, downpipes, exhaust, Pop Charger, Z-tube, 5/16" spacer, and headers. I loved how the car looked, (though it needed dropped) sounded, and drove, but it needed more power.

I fell upon a used APS TT kit for price I couldn't pass up, my friends called it months in advance. I installed the kit and a UTEC and tuned it at 8.5psi. More power was great, this is how the car should have come from the factory I thought. Now, I have past relationships with boost, the ability to tune and turn the boost up was eating me alive but I knew better with the stock bottom end.

I called up Forged Performance and spoke with Sharif. We discussed my plans and what parts would work for my goals. He was able to supply me one of his S1 shortblocks on very short notice along with a few other pieces, thanks again Sharif.

I completed the engine assembly and swap in my garage/driveway with great success. I decided to add an AEM meth kit because I was sure to try to push the limits eventually, though I haven't started using it yet. With the new wastegate actuators, boost would spike 12psi and level off to about 11. A few UTEC logs and changes and I was in business. I enjoyed the new tire frying power.

Eventually I got the boost up in the 16-18psi range with the UTEC controlling things. Since I do all my tuning on the street I had to get past the, "is it real or fake knock in the datalogs," step. I fabricated myself a pretty cool electronic stethoscope, that can also be known as a det can, to give myself an audio window into the combustion chamber. I could listen to it myself trying to pick up detonation, or record it onto my tuning PC (Fujitsu tablet) and analyze it with a spectral analasys program and actually see it. I'll get to posting a DIY of that later.

By this time Uprev had released their user tunable version of Osiris and their upgraded MAF. I use a similar type of tuning solution on my other car so I was interested to get my hands on this and use it. The first change I made was to take the UTEC out of the part throttle picture and properly scale the injectors, driveability was greatly improved. I also moved the intake cam timing around a bit and managed to get faster spoolup from the turbos. I currently have been slowly letting the factory ECU have control to higher and higher boost levels by shuffling the UTEC settings around. Right now the car drives flawless on the factory ECU up to 14psi. I'll go higher when I get more time to tune. I'm currently learning to fly attach helicopters so free time can be sparse.

The last project was I acquired another forum member's (youngZ) stock 350Z springs and installed them, that dropped the car about an inch, which is just right.

Oh, and it did go 12.7@116 in the 1/4 mile at 12psi. Spinning the 275/30ZR19's past the 330' lights of course.

Here is a current mod list.

Forged Performance S1 shortblock (Eagle, Arias ED)
L19 head studs
PE headgaskets
Deatschwerks 600cc injectors
Motordyne 5/16" plenum spacer
APS TT kit
Kinetix resonated downpipes
HKS Hi-Power Ti exhaust
Carbonetic triple disc clutch
Forge wastegate actuators
User tunable Osiris
Gizzmo electronic boost controller
Zeitronix wideband w/boost and EGT
AEM meth injection

Carbon Gialla replica
Carbon mirror covers
Carbon factory front lip replica
Carbon Nismo diffuser replica
Painted headlight housings with modded turn signal lenses
Nissan clear marker lights
Yes... 350GT rear badges

350Z springs and cut rear spring isolation mount
Volk TE-37 TA wheels

Here's a video of me tearing around on the stock block.

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...ent=G35CTT.flv

There may be more but on to the pictures.

I have to throw one of the GSX in, it's my baby. I know it looks harmless enough but is well faster than the G.

Comments and questions welcome.

Last edited by BlinkerFluid; 04-12-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 04-12-2009, 01:41 PM
Xendric

I'm not a big fan of G's, but yours looks (and I'm sure goes) absolutely fantastic!
Old 04-12-2009, 01:58 PM
MikeFunction2nd
Vendor - Former Vendor

Nice stuff Jesse!!
Old 04-12-2009, 02:07 PM
djkace77

Very nice. I read your other thread about your GSX. That thing is amazing. Your whole experience with that car, is great example of a do it yourself project car that hauls ***. Great Job.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:15 PM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Nice car, nice DSM.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:33 PM
GTM
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice and clean with power to boot, I like it!

-George
GT Motorsports
Old 04-12-2009, 02:52 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dammit Jesse - stop building fast cars already.

Very nice, hoping to have a mid-summer showdown..... if you ever come back to town.
Old 04-12-2009, 02:56 PM
BaZooKa

Very clean and great car
Old 04-12-2009, 03:38 PM
ppwpz33

Nice build man! You love you some boost.. lol. Do you have any idea what numbers you are putting down? I'm guessing the HKS exhaust piping isn't holding you back much.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:35 PM
BlinkerFluid

Thanks for the compliments! It's been a fun project that still isn't complete. I want to finish tuning and up the boost. I'll get it on the dyno once I'm back home and can use my preferred shop (SGS Automotive) of whom I'm good friends and they let me operate the dyno myself.

MikeFunction2nd I mean no disrespect, have we met? I figure we've passed at least once or twice since you know me by name and actually spelled it correctly. Maybe you just changed your screenname recently or something, I know too many Mikes.

Not a chance Cass, I have a new project in mind for the next vehicle I want.

I actually have had thoughts of replacing the HKS exhaust with some 3" dual version along with the APS 3.5" downpipes. I just havent gotten that far yet. I also want to add a set of cams and that should be it... Until I decide I need bigger turbos.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:50 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

you're rims look a little outdated.. let me take em off your hands cheap for you
Old 04-12-2009, 06:53 PM
ppwpz33

Originally Posted by BlinkerFluid
Thanks for the compliments! It's been a fun project that still isn't complete. I want to finish tuning and up the boost. I'll get it on the dyno once I'm back home and can use my preferred shop (SGS Automotive) of whom I'm good friends and they let me operate the dyno myself.

MikeFunction2nd I mean no disrespect, have we met? I figure we've passed at least once or twice since you know me by name and actually spelled it correctly. Maybe you just changed your screenname recently or something, I know too many Mikes.

Not a chance Cass, I have a new project in mind for the next vehicle I want.

I actually have had thoughts of replacing the HKS exhaust with some 3" dual version along with the APS 3.5" downpipes. I just havent gotten that far yet. I also want to add a set of cams and that should be it... Until I decide I need bigger turbos.
Cool man. Well good luck with the rest of your build.

What part of Alabama do you live in? I have a friend who goes to school in Montgomery. If that's close at all maybe I can check out your ride when I'm down that way if you don't mind.
Old 04-12-2009, 06:53 PM
SirSpeedyZ

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

looks good
Old 04-12-2009, 06:58 PM
Lawy'dU

i had planned a zetronix to mount in that same spot. Looks awesome!!!
Old 04-12-2009, 06:59 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Congrats on the build - car looks great. Would love to hear more about your DIY knock sensor amp.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:15 PM
BlinkerFluid

Originally Posted by rcdash
Congrats on the build - car looks great. Would love to hear more about your DIY knock sensor amp.
I posted a DIY thread here.
Old 04-13-2009, 09:13 AM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks great. I like DIY builds.
Old 04-13-2009, 01:41 PM
Mr.Squeeze

Thumbs up looks good
Old 04-13-2009, 03:30 PM
tiguy99

Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Looks great. I like DIY builds.
Heck yeah talk about inspiring
Old 04-13-2009, 04:17 PM
jtgli

Mikes my brother Jesse, I think you got the Utec off of him? Im pretty sure thats who he sold it too. Were the two that used to run around up on the carlise pike with the red and black Z's. Now its just the black one...
But car looks like its coming along good. Might need your help when your back for my shortblock install.

Quick Reply: No, I'm not going to turbocharge it... My TT G35.