Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

should I sell my W7 and get an Adire Brahma10

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2004, 10:50 AM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default should I sell my W7 and get an Adire Brahma10

ive been toying with the idea of selling my JL 10W7 and getting an Adire Brahma10, and then upgrading from my JL 500/1 to a JL 1000/1. I am able to get JL stuff for good prices so I would not be losing any money from changing subs, but it would cost me a bit to get the 1000/1.

Ive been thinking about this because I could then put the sub in the spare tire well, where as i can't with the W7 because the mounting depth is too deep. I also think it'll just sound bad as$. I also just wanted to try something different, since everyone and their mom has a W7 now, and not so many people have Adire subs (at least that i know of).

Do you guys think this is worth it, assuming i'd pay no more than $200 for the upgrade?
Old 12-13-2004, 03:53 PM
stu46

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why don't you power the W7 with the 1000/1?
Old 12-13-2004, 05:25 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

sound like a good idea to me, Im tired of w7s.
Old 12-13-2004, 06:51 PM
hndumafia

1000 watts for the W7 is over recommended power, to the point that it voids the warranty. it could probably handle it, but i guess the main point of the upgrade is i really want to try the Adire sub, and because of that i'd upgrade the amp to have enough power for the sub.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:22 PM
hurahn

Brahma's are crazy subs. Good luck trying to find one though. They're sold out across the country and you can't even get them from Adire. I think they're doing a redesign. These are the current hot sub. It won't be long before everyone has one.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:40 PM
tractng

hndumafia,

I noticed you have the Perfect 6.1. I have the same components and like to know when you turn the volume up, does the speaker make contact with (hit) the grille?

I installed my using the stock speaker and also sanded the grille to the last mm inside. When I turn my stereo up, I can feel it is hitting the grille.

Btw, I am only powering them with a PG r5.0:4 (50rms each).

Tony
Old 12-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I used to think I had that problem but I realized it was my spacer/pods vibrating at certain frequencies. Very annoying
Old 12-13-2004, 10:57 PM
Barzten1

Never heard of Brahmas. Somebody throw us a pic.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:59 AM
OgreDave

They are not that hard to get. Constantly FS on forums, and I know one CA dealer that has quite a few 12's in stock .. LethalAudio or something, I forget. $379 shipped.

I've never had a Brahma, but had similar .. 12 XXX (2k4) & 15 XXX (2k4) .. then there's always my 5 IDMaxes, 12 SI MagD2, Adire Shiva .. I forget what else, but I've been thru nuff equipment.

Brahma's & XXX are almost the same sub, BTW. XXX looks tons better, but Adire has better support by FAR.

There's also a lot of stuff going on in the audio scene right now that might cause XXX/Brahma's to go up for sale .. IE the new LMT's by TC Sounds, the next RE sub, and Adire's whole new freakin plant in South America.

Sorry, its not Adire's but uh D.Wiggins helped form it, and he's gonna essentially see that they help each other .. development / driver output sharing, sorta. He's promised that the Adire lineup will grow A LOT(!!) next year ..

So ...... might wanna either sell & wait, or just wait .. there's a huge JL bandwagon of (IMO) ignorant ppl. (Where's my flame resistant suit?!?!?! ) The W7 is probably going to retain value pretty well, based on name recognition alone, whereas the Brahma's & XXX (and other XBL^2 [patent in progress by Adire]) might go down in price b/c of the new subs coming out using that technology & plants & etc. Most ppl who know JL still dunno Adire .. which is why I think JL will still cost a lot, but those 'in the know' will have other options, makin the other products go down in value. Just speculating tho .. do whatever makes you happy

One W7 or 2 Brahma's or 2 of most other super subs? Not a tough decision, in my book. I'd easily sell the W7 & get a B10. But I already have a 10in IDMax

Last edited by OgreDave; 12-14-2004 at 03:05 AM.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:08 AM
rplink

Cool post OgreDave. I'm not in the UberSub class with my setup, but I just installed a single Adire koda 10 in place of my 2 A/D/S 308s. Wow, what a nice sounding subwoofer! Plenty of solid base driven with the D7401 at 4 ohms for the Z in my opinion.

I've heard really good things about the Brahma line, so if my Koda is any indication, they should be nice as well.
Old 12-14-2004, 06:17 AM
hndumafia

Originally posted by tractng
hndumafia,

I noticed you have the Perfect 6.1. I have the same components and like to know when you turn the volume up, does the speaker make contact with (hit) the grille?

I installed my using the stock speaker and also sanded the grille to the last mm inside. When I turn my stereo up, I can feel it is hitting the grille.

Btw, I am only powering them with a PG r5.0:4 (50rms each).

Tony

When I first installed the perfects and hadn't installed the subs, at first I had the midbass playing as low as it would go (hz) and i noticed when i turned up the volume the rubber surrounding the speaker cone was hitting part of the door. i then set the speakers to play only as low as 80hz and it wasn't a problem. I know for sure it was hitting the door because I've since taken off the door panel and can see the marks on the rubber surround, but it hasn't affected the way they play at all.

As far as the Adire goes I'm going to give them a call next week to ask about the new products they are planning on releasing to see when they're coming out and stuff. Ive decided if I can get a new amp cheap enough i'm definitely going to do this. and Hurahn - i hope you're wrong and not everyone has this sub like everyone has the W7 now.
Old 12-14-2004, 08:10 AM
Barzten1

That was a sweet write-uo OgreDave! Thanks for the pics. I use to sell car audio but I've been out of the loop for a while. I say forget caring if everybody has something. If it rocks it rocks. I'm pretty happy with my w6's and have 3 twelves in my Denali. I thought the w7's were the monsters. Are these brahma's better subs for the $$$?
Old 12-14-2004, 08:59 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Realize, that sub looks and sorta is identical the ones running the back of my car now...

The eclipse basket is the best- I say this with justification- at dissipating heat. The justification being that many companies use it. Look at the Brahmas and then look at my sig pic.

or

same basket different cone, spider, and magnet
Old 12-14-2004, 09:06 AM
JimRHIT

The Brahmas are better subs for the $$ and have been for about 3 years now.

TC sound's new motor will be something to behold ... can't wait for that one.

I am still sticking with my Adire Tempest (since space isn't a concern) and it still impresses the heck out of everyone that hears it

I love off brand subs ... I run two TC12.2s in my living room (off a NAD 218 amp)... and no one that I know with any commercial subwoofers can even come close this side of a contrabass
Old 12-14-2004, 09:18 AM
MIAPLAYA

How bout EDs? I ran a pair of ED12Ks before that were a force to be reckoned with...
Old 12-14-2004, 09:20 AM
JimRHIT

reliability has plagued them in recent years ... said to be getting much better now though
Old 12-14-2004, 09:23 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by JimRHIT
reliability has plagued them in recent years ... said to be getting much better now though
I ran more for about a year problem free then I made a switch over to Eclispe for a while but in the end I got so tired of the switching I settled for what i have now... W3v2 and W0s.. I know i know WTF but in the end I didn't want to run a whole lot of ampilifer in my car so a 250/1 pushing to W0s works...Jim you've heard it... And as for my truck I didn't want to blow another $500 on a Eclipse titanium so a W3v2 it is.
Old 12-14-2004, 10:08 AM
OgreDave

Thanks for the comments about my post .. glad I didn't get flamed by JL fanboi's .. usually happens

I am not a fan of JL's w7 weird final loads nor the hefty price tag. Also recone prices on a w7 are INSANE!!!!! Versus $100 or so w/the other subs mentioned below.

x2 what Jim said. The Brahma / XXX definitely own a W7 in terms a value. So does the IDMax, BTW. It's just not mentioned together b/c the Brahma/XXX are 95-99% the same sub, XBL^2 & all. All 3 subs mentioned are SQ oriented subs w/gracious amounts of excursion for lots of SPL while retaining the SQ. Can't go wrong with all 3, and even the W7, cept you could buy like 2 for the price of 1 W7.

As for eD .. reliability was supposedly an issue w/TC sounds quality control, I don't know. I stay away from things like that. What I do know for sure is that some people have had their products w/o problems, and their quality of service is excellent. The owner (IIRC his name is Ben aka Kaosmoon?) can be found posting on car audio forums & seems to be very honest & courteous.

My favorite guy to hate was Mover aka Matt Overpeck of Audiomobile
Old 12-14-2004, 10:55 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally posted by OgreDave
Thanks for the comments about my post .. glad I didn't get flamed by JL fanboi's .. usually happens

I am not a fan of JL's w7 weird final loads nor the hefty price tag. Also recone prices on a w7 are INSANE!!!!! Versus $100 or so w/the other subs mentioned below.

x2 what Jim said. The Brahma / XXX definitely own a W7 in terms a value. So does the IDMax, BTW. It's just not mentioned together b/c the Brahma/XXX are 95-99% the same sub, XBL^2 & all. All 3 subs mentioned are SQ oriented subs w/gracious amounts of excursion for lots of SPL while retaining the SQ. Can't go wrong with all 3, and even the W7, cept you could buy like 2 for the price of 1 W7.

As for eD .. reliability was supposedly an issue w/TC sounds quality control, I don't know. I stay away from things like that. What I do know for sure is that some people have had their products w/o problems, and their quality of service is excellent. The owner (IIRC his name is Ben aka Kaosmoon?) can be found posting on car audio forums & seems to be very honest & courteous.

My favorite guy to hate was Mover aka Matt Overpeck of Audiomobile
One other sub not mentioned that although is not known for SQ can still handle its own is Kove Armageddons. Another one of my favorite subs. Although the ED sub killed it in SQ the Kove would pound the car doors of anything.
Old 12-14-2004, 01:03 PM
hurahn

My boy is the one learning me about all the new car audio stuff. I didn't know that it's gotten so big!!!! It's crazy!!! How do all these companies make money?