Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Will any 10" sub fit into the space where the factory bose sub is installed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Justin311x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will any 10" sub fit into the space where the factory bose sub is installed?

Been thinking about putting a sub in my Z but at the moment I have 2 Sony Xplod 12"s. I took my car into a local audio shop and they gave me a price quote for building a box in the tire well....ummmm $600 for a box no thanks. Anyway my question is will any 10" sub fit in the factory installed bose sub space? If so i can sell my subs and get a 10" and do the amp/sub install myself saving me a ton of cash.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:37 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Don't bother putting the sub in that hole! You can do it if you want but it sounds like crap. Some people have been successful by dynomatting this inside of that hole and using silicon caulk to fill all the holes. Other than that you basically have a free-air sub. If you want to use that area build a box that will fit in there. Several people have done this. Or...you could just put a box in the back somewhere.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:34 PM
Justin311x

Trying to go mostly stealth on the install that's the only reason i want to put it there. I guess i could put a box in the back since you can't fit anything back there anyway, but if anyone has a good DIY on building a box to fit in that hole i'd love to take a peek.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:21 PM
murrman100

If you put a box in the compartment where the bose sub was, you still have to dynomat the crap out of it. It will still rattle like crazy.

Try this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT
Old 12-24-2004, 02:39 PM
Justin311x

Thanks Murrman that is something that I was looking into, saw the custom install of that guy that owns the 350z mag, (unsure of his name or mag name at the moment) but it blew my mind, he had a similar setup but with 2 subs in that same space. Has anyone used this setup that can give me a little feedback on sound quality?
Old 12-24-2004, 03:47 PM
AParshall04

Right now i have some cheap 10" free-air sub in the spot behind my seat and it sounds decent, but im definately going to add another sub under the rear strut like the post murman showed you, im just not totally sure if i want to put one really nice 10" back there, or 2 fairly nice 10"s. If you want to do something easy you can get an infinity basslink 10" self powered sub and throw it in the space behind the seat, ive heard of guys doing that. Also if you dont care about your spare tire you could build a box in that well and put your 2 12"s in that.

Just some ideas from reading around the website.
Old 12-24-2004, 03:54 PM
isugoo

any recommendation on free air subs for stock location use?
Old 12-24-2004, 10:29 PM
AParshall04

I've got some kicker one in there right now as of last night that my friend had lying around, it sounds pretty good. I'm relatively sure that there really is no such thing as a really nice free-air sub though. You'll never achieve the same sound quality as an enclosure type sub. I'm not 100% sure though because im no expert.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:08 PM
Justin311x

Right now i have some cheap 10" free-air sub in the spot behind my seat and it sounds decent, but im definately going to add another sub under the rear strut like the post murman showed you, im just not totally sure if i want to put one really nice 10" back there, or 2 fairly nice 10"s.
I have the same question that guy on ebay sells boxes that fit under the strut bar but with space for 1 or 2 subs. I am wondering if i should get 1 10" or 2. Don't know if there is enough space in the box for 2 subs to get a good quality sound. I think that one sub back there looks funny, looks like a huge box and a tiny sub, 2 definately looks better but am wondering what the difference in sound quality is? Any feedback from someone with this setup or similar setup would be appreciated.
Old 12-25-2004, 06:42 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Originally posted by Justin311x
I think that one sub back there looks funny, looks like a huge box and a tiny sub, 2 definately looks better but am wondering what the difference in sound quality is?
You could put 2 in and if it sounds bad just dis-connect one. LOL
At least you will get the best of both worlds!
Old 12-26-2004, 11:04 PM
AParshall04

If you buy one of the ebay boxes get 2 slimmer subs. Im going with 1 big sub and building a box that goes deeper so the magnet will fit.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:50 AM
Justin311x

Alright been doing a bit of reading about the boxes on e-bay, general concensus is the airspace inside is only.75 and most subs use around .5 or 1. So two subs in that space would not work but i dont like the look of only one ten, looks lonely . Anyway would polyfilling the space in there give me the needed space and does the amount of airspace REALLY effect SQ that much. I'm not lookin for blow ur windows out bass, just something to give it some depth.
Old 12-28-2004, 12:05 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Build your own box if you want 2 subs that bad.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:32 PM
murrman100

Alright been doing a bit of reading about the boxes on e-bay, general concensus is the airspace inside is only.75 and most subs use around .5 or 1. So two subs in that space would not work but i dont like the look of only one ten, looks lonely . Anyway would polyfilling the space in there give me the needed space and does the amount of airspace REALLY effect SQ that much. I'm not lookin for blow ur windows out bass, just something to give it some depth.

Well.. Sub will fit but they will sound like crap. I emailed the guy that is selling them and he said its .75 for both.
.75 would work great for 1 sub.
His box is really small on the inside.
Depending on the sub itself, you should have about .5 to 1 cf per sub.
If you do with fiberglass, you should be able to get about 1.2 total.

Check this out.
http://www.activetuning.com/pat/4/7/
Old 12-29-2004, 01:48 AM
EnthuZiast
Guess whose back, back again...

I had a Fiberglass Enclosure made for a Pioneer Premier 10" 600W sub and it sounds good w/out any major rattle. I still think the back of teh hatch is the optimal spot but if I had to do it over I would stick where I am since it takes up NO cargo space.
Old 12-29-2004, 03:57 PM
Justin311x

Wow thanks murrmann great reply! That setup is awesome. It's settled i'm going to build my own box. I will keep you guys posted how it turns out. Construction will commence this weekend if I'm not too hungover- - lol. I just got a new DeWalt Cordless drill for christmas what better way to try it out! Anyone know the approximate price on MDF? Does it come in 4x8 sheets like plywood? And would probably be available at Home Depot I'm guessing? Thanks everyone for all the replys/suggestions.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:47 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Yes...MDF is available at Home Depot in the lumber deptartment. It comes in 4x8 and at most places 4x4. At my Home Depot they even have circles and assorted rectangles/squares available. They will cut down a 4x8 sheet(non-precision cuts only) if you have to put it in a small vehicle.
Old 12-30-2004, 05:22 PM
Justin311x

Thanks Santacruz going to start building box and amp rack this saturday. Brought out the ol' digital camera to keep you guys updated on progress and to take a pic of the first mod to the Z! My new HU a sony cdx7705, not the best of the best but good for what i'm workin with and my budget...anyway here's a couple of pics the install was pretty clean and i like the brushed aluminum look of the finish, kinda matches the strut bar.

Old 12-30-2004, 08:39 PM
murrman100

Wow thanks murrmann great reply! That setup is awesome. It's settled i'm going to build my own box. I will keep you guys posted how it turns out. Construction will commence this weekend if I'm not too hungover- - lol. I just got a new DeWalt Cordless drill for christmas what better way to try it out! Anyone know the approximate price on MDF? Does it come in 4x8 sheets like plywood? And would probably be available at Home Depot I'm guessing? Thanks everyone for all the replys/suggestions.
It should be around $20 - $25 for a 4x8.
Good Luck and Happy New Year!!!