Old 02-08-2005, 02:55 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^^ +1 on on that... it never ends... hence the 9 inch midbass drivers
Old 02-08-2005, 09:40 PM
dannichols

My displeasure seems to change depending on the mood I'm in and the song I'm listening to. I've found a few ways to tinker with the HU's Mid and High EQ to tone down the harshness so it's not that bad. From what I can tell I don't think it's just a matter of decreasing the overall db to the tweeters, I think it is more of a range of frequencies it is reproducing that need to be lowered and in that case maybe the active crossover/EQ route may be the ticket.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:45 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

you could pick up a more extensive EQ... generally speaking... the EQ on a deck sucks.

I would recommend a PG 215i or 215ix(has crossovers) or an Audio Control eq. You can pick up a PG eq for about 70-150 bucks depending on condition.

PG and AC tend to make cleaner preamps than most excluding a few high end way too expensive companies...

An EQ can make a world of difference on a system and it can make things really confusing.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:25 AM
motown

once again, ahsmo speaks the truth. those two pg eq's are nice.

me, i've always been a huge audio control fan. their signal processors win best-in-class awards every year for a reason. i would think something like an EQL or an EQX with built-in x-over would getcha started down the right path. the former is in my system upgrade plans for this year... or if you wanted to get really crazy, a pair of EQT's (one for each channel, left and right) would be pretty cool and allow for some wicked control of those components.

whatever eq you chose, you won't be disappointed.

Old 02-09-2005, 10:39 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I have a friend with a pair of EQTs very impressive set up. I do like my sliders thou
Old 02-09-2005, 10:39 AM
dannichols

I don't see these products listed on the PG site..but I do see the user manuals for them in the FTP download areas. Anyway, do these EQ's work similar to what I have on the HU? IE: 3 or 4 bands that have a 'Q' setting for width. Do you guys understand this Q system of equalization?
Old 02-09-2005, 10:51 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

PG does not make those EQs anymore, however, if you make a post in the classified section of their forum, you will get a reply in about an hour. People have 2 to 5 of these things sitting around. If you want I can get you intouch with someone who is selling one so you dont have to register. However, if you ever have any question about audio, there is a good place to get your questions answered. The people are nice, usually, and tend to answer your questions no matter how trivial they may be.

The 215i and ix models are 15 band per channel EQs. You will lose your subwoofer control which is not a problem if your EQ is set up correctly. The slopes are tigh enough on the 15 band eq that a Q feature is not needed. If you want to be insane you could go with a 232ix which is a 30 band per channel EQ. Madness unless you have access to a RTA.

There is also a digital eq that you set up with your lap top as well as many man other settings. Those are a little pricey.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:52 AM
dannichols

What unit do you use Ahsmo? I like those 30 band Audio Control units..but would seem to be hard to adjust on the fly. In dash units don't seem to have enough bands.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:56 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I have a 215i. More than enough control for me. I set the eq to give me a relatively flat response curve. (I guessed, I think its pretty flat) Then with my deck I slightly, and mean slightly increase whatever I want to hear more in the the music I am listening to.
Old 02-09-2005, 12:34 PM
dannichols

I don't understand why add a unit and possibly inject noise into the system only to set everything flat??? Also, do you find yourself readjusting the EQ everytime you pop in a different CD.?
Old 02-09-2005, 12:50 PM
dannichols

Do you use a Line driver in addition to the EQ?
Old 02-10-2005, 09:16 AM
motown

hey dan. i don't think you should have to adjust a 30-band eq 'on the fly'. these units are typically trunk-mounted 'set it and forget it' items. the point imo is to get to true 'flat'. you said it yourself, your system is not giving you a flat response in its current configuration. thus, the seperate stand-alone would serve to re-adjust your system to take its environment into account and help to re-tune your system to give or take where necessary. ahsmo has a good idea to have a couple of settings on your head-unit to quickly tailor to whatever cd you're listening to. for me, the only setting i really mess with is my subwoofer level. as far as noise, these things are really noise-free. guaranteed. people use these in their iasca and slap cars all day. believe me, they wouldn't be there if they weren't that good. as far as line-drivers, if you only have a 2v rca output, i'd consider this. otherwise, you're fine most likely. oh, and yeah ahsmo, the sliders look pretty f'in sweet i must admit. maybe i'll reconsider....
Old 02-10-2005, 09:47 AM
dannichols

Thanks Motown. I am seriously considering the EQ route. Have to just keep telling myself it is not the component set or my HU and that I just need to tweek it to get that flat response you mentioned.

I am going to try a PG amp in the next few weeks 100x2 and am searching for the EQ models you guys pointed out.
Old 02-10-2005, 11:26 AM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

I use my line driver to send the signal back to my trunk. If you dont put the line driver right after the deck then having a line driver is completely useless.

I have my EQ set so that my respone curve would look a little bit like a smillie face if it where graphed on a RTA. Its not an extreme curve but it is there. So mine really isnt all that flat.

My sliders however are not set like a smilie face.

The audio control and PG eqs induce no noise that you or I can hear only lab instruments.

I never touch my EQ unless I put in Rap to get more bass.

*edit* if anyone is running bellow 4 ohms on their PG Xenon amp I have a trick for them to get x2 the power. My 1200 watt Xenon will make well over 2300 watts with no cost to me *edit*

Last edited by Ahsmo; 02-10-2005 at 11:32 AM.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:48 PM
dannichols

Intersting. thanks. One question, your EQ is set to a slightly smiley curve right? But you say your "sliders" arent? I thought your sliders were on your EQ, are we talking the same unit?

Also, the PG E/Q user manuals have some pretty tricked out configurations with line drivers and seperate amps. Did you get any of your design ideas from there?
Old 02-10-2005, 03:10 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

like if you had an RTA and I played a sin sweep through my car the response curve on the RTA print out would be a slight smilie face, not completely flat.

My sliders are set such that the response curve is a slight smilie face. My sliders however do not look like a smilie face, they are infact are all over the place.

Ive looked at those configurations, they are indeed pretty crazy. I didnt look at the manual until after I installed everything. So, not really. Much of what is on those manuals is not made anymore and hard to get unless you know where to look.

If you want to see a complicated mess, check out the systems with balanced signal carriers. That will make your head explode.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:56 AM
dannichols

Ahsmo, the only place I can track down the PG Eq's seems to be on Ebay. They have some 215 and 232's for sale used. Isn't it about time that you replxace yours with something nicer and sell it to me :-)

One question, was power wiring an issue with the EQ? Can you use the same 12V source that your amp uses for remote?
Old 02-11-2005, 02:42 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

yeah just piggy back off the amps, the EQ doesnt draw much power. Give it's own ground thou either through ground distro block or straight to the body of the car.

heh there isnt anything to upgrade too

Classifieds here always have them... just about everyone there has traded crap between each other so you can trust an EQ from this forum more than a ebay EQ http://soundoff.phoenixgold.com/

Also if you need amps, there is a place to get hooked up. People on there are so picky about who they sell to you know your amp will work.
Old 02-11-2005, 09:27 PM
dannichols

Thanks again Ahsmo. One last question. What did you mean regarding loss of my sub-woofer control? Can't I just run my subs from a seperate set of RCA's into another amp as I do now?
Old 02-11-2005, 09:36 PM
Ahsmo
Imakecopies

Originally posted by dannichols
Thanks again Ahsmo. One last question. What did you mean regarding loss of my sub-woofer control? Can't I just run my subs from a seperate set of RCA's into another amp as I do now?

you can do that but you will not have any of the badass EQ on your subs.

Ideally you run one set of RCAs from your deck to the EQ , then another to your mids/highs amp then from the mids/highs amp to your sub amp.

*edit* let me do a little looking to see if audio control or PG makes or made an EQ that would still allow you have sub control

okay here is an EQ that allows you to retain all your fader and sub controls from your deck: http://www.audiocontrol.com/MobileAu...izers/EQS.html

Last edited by Ahsmo; 02-11-2005 at 09:42 PM.

Quick Reply: Tweeter choices