Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Audio Experts -what's your take

Old 11-21-2002, 06:21 PM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audio Experts -what's your take

Well I've had my Z less then 2 weeks and it's time to upgrade the stereo. I've always done all audio stuff but the Z is setup for A/V very well with the in-dash pocket although if I did Video it would be more of a novalty then anything. I'm honestly just thinking of staying all Audio.

With that being said, I've got the following components I can put in;

Nakamichi CD45Z w/Amber face
Boston Pro 6.5
PPI Powerclass 400Watt amp

I love my Nak HU but I'm thinking of going up to the CD700. I'm willing to spend up to $1500 on the HU alone, what else should I be looking at. I love Eclipse stuff and the 55090 seems very nice but not as nice as the Nak for pure Audio. Suggestions, comments?

Next is speakers, I love my Pros and the only two speakers I'd replace them with are Boston Z Reference 6-1/2" or Rainbow Reference (although I won't be shelling out for the Rainbows). Any other suggestions that meet or exceed my Pros?

The PPI powerclass amp I have I love, that's staying for the meantime.

Right now I'm thinking on going with Image Dynamic 10" sub, a Boston Pro 10" or 2 JL Audio 6W0. Once again, any suggestions or comments.....

I'm really looking for expert advice from SQ guys. I'm not competing but I want great sound reproduction.

TIA
Old 11-21-2002, 07:43 PM
imntcrzy

Eclipse quality is simply amazing.... very good sq and excellent build quality. You may want to consider Pioneer premiere P9, also very good plus I think it looks good in the Z. Also Alpine F1. These are all very nice HU's, I'm sure there are many others out there. Normally in Audio ( home audio that is) electronics are very important and I think the dacs and construction is excellent. Eclipse's dual mono construction and high voltage pre-outs are awesome.

If you are happy with the Pro's then that should be good enough.... but look at Focal or Dynaudio.... you can find both much less than full retail.

I think its amazing how cheap the image dynamic subs are relative to what you get they are great.

I'm not sure about the PPI specs and I have not heard them.... but you may also want to consider Xtant. ( if you look around you can find a bargain on them too)

just my 2 cents, I think the acoustics in the Z will be great for a sound system. I'm putting mine in this weekend.
Old 11-22-2002, 12:54 AM
12SecZ

Default HU

I have decided on The Pioneer Premier 940P. It has the extra large screen, new screen savers, plays CD/CDR/CDRW/MP3 and even WMA! Plus it has silver accents that match the pods etc.

I'm already have a Kicker 1200.1 and a Kicker 600.4 for amps and a PG 15 Farad Power Core CAP.

I'm just stuck on what to do about the subwoofer. Most shops are pushing 2 12's. I want the Kicker Solobaric 02 model L7's in silver. I would think one 12 would sound good though?

I am going to place the sub in the spare tire well after hollowing all of that out. Has anyone figured out how much air space is available in this area?

I am also gonna add the XM Sattelite reciever in the right rear DVD/NAV compartment.
Old 11-22-2002, 01:29 AM
G35audioman

i am selling my eclipse av8132 6.5 inch fully motorized screen for $1800 shipped...it plays DVD's, CD's, Mp3 cd's, and has a BUILT IN 5.1 channel dolby/dts surround sound processor built in. i used it for only a week and then i decided to save the money for college since things are getting expensive in here. The deck retails for $2600 new so i figure 1800 shipped is a great price. Everything is included such as the remote, manuals, etc. LEt me know if you are interested...i know its a little more than you want to spend..but you get an awesome system fort the money. go to www.eclipse-web.com for more info..this unit is very new on the market and sounds great! thanks.

shaam
Old 11-22-2002, 03:20 AM
LS350Z
Charter Member #56

Thanks for the comments so far. I might not have been clear early on but if I go to A/V it will not be a flip out in-dash screen. the screen will be seperate.

imntcrzy - I'm not a fan of dynaudio speakers and Focals are nice and all but I find them no better then my Pros. ID subs are awesome and I haven't found a sub close in price or performance. I'm also with you on xtant amps (and even their hex subs are sweet). If I ever need to go up in power from my current amp I'll be looking at xtant for sure.

MaxHax - one 12 should be more then enough for SQ in the Z if you build the enclosure correctly. I personally don't like 12s that much in smaller cars so I'm going with a 10. I think one L7 sub in the correct enclosure should slam in a Z, especially if mounted in the spare tire well. Thanks for the HU recommendation but I don't want the in-dash video.

zondubs - thanks for the offer but once again I'm not looking for an in-dash video. $1800 seems decent though.
Old 11-22-2002, 03:03 PM
12SecZ

Hi,

The HU I mentioned (DEH940MP) is just audio not A/V.
If I was going to go A/V in my car (non NAV) then the aftermarket part I would purchase would be a DVD based NAV system.
They can be made to also play DVD movies.
So you would get Navigation and DVD Surround both!

And like you said, I would mount the screen in the stock place for it.

Good luck with whatever you decide on!