Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

A/V upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2005, 08:41 PM
TLHASTZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool A/V upgrade

I have been in the process of upgrading my audio and adding video equipment. I am currently trying to install my Alpine cda-9831 hu, alpine type r components, an image dynamics 10", phoenix gold octane 4 channel amp, dynamix screen and xbox.

I am waiting for little things like my alpine kca 121b ( to allow aux ), power converter, and more rcas for xbox sound and video, so I am trying to do up the audio install.

I ran into a problem. while installing my HU to the wiring harnesses, I lost power to the HU. Checked the fuses in the drivers side box and under the hood, and the all look good. everything else works in the car (it turns on, there is air, all lights work, etc) but no power to HU. Does anyone know how I can get around this, or if I can get around this. I am stumped.

A buddy of mine suggested tapping into some wires from the ignition to get power ( i guess like they do for alarm installs???), but I am not to sure if I want to go through all that.

can anyone help a brotha out?

thanks
Old 05-06-2005, 08:49 PM
TLHASTZ

Dang, I was trying to upload pics, but I am clueless as to how to downsize them. I guess the files are too big to upload. One thing I am happy about is that the dynamix screen fits in perectly without having to remove the casing. a little double stick tape and bam, it's good.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:15 PM
TLHASTZ

ok here are a couple of pictures

Here are all the components I am trying to install

THis one shows how the dynamix 7" touchscreen slides right into place. It is being held in by 2 pieces of double stick tape on top, One on the inside btwn the screen and housing, and a couple holding the back of the screen to the housing

This is how it looks from the front
Old 05-07-2005, 05:58 AM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You've more than likely blown a fuse somewhere.

I recommend running new wires any who when running that much equipment. The stock wires are of a gauge that will handle the stock head end and little else and the fuse is matched. You can get a ball park estimate of how much power you're drawing by looking at the upgraded system's fuses adding them all together.

I run a large eight gauge wire to a distribution bus and off of that a second relay controlled ignition power bus. The factory radio input can be used to control the relay that supplies ignition power from the battery. There's lots of room under the passenger's kick panel for this stuff and it's pretty easy to get to yet out of the way. I'll run my navigation, interior lights, and radar detectors off of the power buses.

If your amp needs more that ten amperes of power I would run a second line straight to it via a fuse block.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:12 AM
TLHASTZ

I will be running all new wires, but so far all that has been installed is just the radio. I haven't connected anything else, and all of my fuses are good. There must be something else I could do.

As soon as i figure this little issue out, I will be running all new speaker wires, nothing from the Bose system will be used. Thanks for the tip, but if anyone else has any info, or if you can think of anything else I would appriciate it.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

PS: It's always best to pull the negative terminal from the battery before doing electical work.
Old 05-08-2005, 07:00 PM
TLHASTZ

Thanks for the suggestions Paul I appricitate it. I finally got everything going and I am loving it!!!!!