Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

misc audio questions... heh heh

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 02:22 PM
jkoc

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default misc audio questions... heh heh

some miscellaneous audio questions...

i have currently replaced front and rear speakers (L+R) with aftermarket ones but have kept the rest of th bose system intact -- sounds pretty good actually -- but i want more. ..

1. would it sound better to buy a new head unit, and power the 4 speakers from the head unit's 4x50W amp OR

2. keep bose headunit and buy audiolink pd4 LOC, and buy a 4 channel amp to power the new speakers.

3. also, if i get a new head unit, do companies like Pioneer or JVC etc, have special harness adapters so i dont have to splice the factory harness?

4. can i simultaneously use the preamp RCA outs on the new head unit, and feed that into a mono sub amp, whilst using the regular wire harness to power speakers using its internal (typical 4x50w) amp?

'thanks

ps: i have infinity kappa 62.5i in the fronts, and i disconnected the factory tweeters. the rears are replaced with alpine sps-170a's

Last edited by jkoc; 05-30-2005 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 02:29 PM
jkoc

By the way , I was under the impression the bose head unit does some nasty EQing even before getting to the bose amp. So hence the question of killing the HU out first rather than amplifying stock HUs crappy EQed signal

Not too sure

Last edited by jkoc; 05-30-2005 at 02:37 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:45 PM
Santacruzslick
Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would buy a new head unit then down the road you can add an amp.
You need to send good sounds to your amp...and the Bose HU will not do that. Definitly get a HU. Then add an amp. down the road if you feel it is necessary...then youc an add a woofer! Then you can say that you have a "system". LOL
Old 06-02-2005, 07:34 PM
NismoChic

Originally Posted by Santacruzslick
I would buy a new head unit then down the road you can add an amp.
You need to send good sounds to your amp...and the Bose HU will not do that. Definitly get a HU. Then add an amp. down the road if you feel it is necessary...then youc an add a woofer! Then you can say that you have a "system". LOL

what he said...new head unit for sure required !!!!
Old 06-03-2005, 06:01 AM
Tackett

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Loose the bose head unit. It blows hard. Dont go cheap on one either. Like santacruz said, good sound comes from a good head unit. If you are sending a crappy signal out from the get go, no matter what you do youll always be limited. As far as wiring and harnesses go. Whatever head unit you buy, but it from crutchfield.com. They are alittle more expensive, but they will give you EVERYTHING you need to install your HU plus free 24 hour assistance, so if its 3oclock in the morning and you cant figure something out, you can call them up. Alpine makes great head units, pioneer is starting to make great headunits, their older stuff was a little weak though. I simply dont like JVC, ive never heard a HU that ive liked from them. Clarion used to be the best you could get, but that was years ago and havent heard from them recently.

good luck man.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:55 PM
Beaker02

BOSE=
Better Off with Something Else.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:24 AM
jkoc

So guys, i finally finished installing the head unit. i went with a Sony CDX-M7815X

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-PEq5LDX...0&I=158CDXM781

So i started out replacing the four speakers but keeping bose amp + HU. Sounded a lot better but the hi's were too harsh and there was some nasty EQing such that it was unbearable at higher volumes. So i totally ripped out the BOSE amp and HU and went with the Sony HU -- the speakers sounds SOO much better even when powering them with the HU's internal 52x4 amp. The mid's come alive now, as well as a better blended tweeter. NOT harsh like BOSE. Bypassing the bose amp was annoying / tedious ... but it had to be done . bye bye bLose