Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

For all the Car PC gurus.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2005, 01:56 PM
gerthiekins

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would def have to say the mac mini is thebest way to go, it is already built has awesome graphics, runs cool so will not have to wrry about heat as much and is very tiny and cost around 500 bucks. i would say thats a good deal. I am going to be getting one and upgrade it with 1gb and all that good stuff and then get the touchscreen as well but i am contemplating on what i should do about the stock HU as well?
Old 06-15-2005, 03:42 PM
HyperSprite
Mad Scientist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gerthiekins
i would def have to say the mac mini is thebest way to go, it is already built has awesome graphics, runs cool so will not have to wrry about heat as much and is very tiny and cost around 500 bucks. i would say thats a good deal. I am going to be getting one and upgrade it with 1gb and all that good stuff and then get the touchscreen as well but i am contemplating on what i should do about the stock HU as well?
I have nothing against Macs and I have seen at least one Z on the boards running one but I have to ask you a few questions about your planned install and a few others about the Mac Mini specifically.

What are your plans for power? I imagine that little thing takes a power brick normally and if you are lucky it only requires 12V but what if it doesn't and how will you handle low voltage situations like starting the car.

You mention great graphics but how much do you need when the typical resolution is 800x480 - 800x600 on an LCD.

An to the Mac Mini stuff specifically, from what my brother has told me, who is a mac guy through and through, upgrading memory/HDD and whatnot on the Mini at home is difficult and/or voids the warranty or some such, is this true?

Are you planning on running GPS software and if so what?

What this really boils down to is what people are comfortable with and what kind of support they are looking for. Just like Windows has a huge share of the PC market, they also account for the largest amount of CarPC machines. Looking at the forums where these people congregate I would say 90+% people are on PC, so that is where the software development is, and where things are growing the fastest.

Chris
Old 06-15-2005, 05:14 PM
foochdawg

I decided against the mac mini. It would cost more money on top of the $500 for the mac mini. Like better sound card. It would have to be external, don't know how much that would be. The minis are not wireless, I would have to get ANOTHER external component. And a lot of the software I want isn't available on mac. Macs cost too much as it is and then to be bottlenecked by the software you can use just sucks. The PC would be cheaper and easier to upgrade and maintain. And there is just something about having to open the mini with a putty knife that doesn't sit well with me lol.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:43 PM
rjpaterson
Z Enthusiast

FYI..

No matter which one you select you need to think about how you're gonna power it. You can't just connect to the +12V car source as the computer will not survive cranking. There are a couple of options out there (Opus, Carnetix etc....) I have personally used the Carnetix P1260 and am upgrading it to a P1900 this weekend. I'm not sure about the Opus but the Carnetix P1900 has a solution for the Mac Mini and It also regulates the +12V supply, and will automatically start up and shut down the Computer with the ignition as well as monitor the battery voltage. If the Voltage falls below 10V it will automatically shut down the Computer.

If you're just gonna use a power inverter then you will have to do everything manually... i.e start the computer "after" the car is started and ensure you turn the computer off when you are done.

Here's a typical Mac Mini Connection Diagram using a P1900.
http://www.carnetix.com/p1900/mm_app.htm
Old 06-16-2005, 08:39 AM
SimonD

Just as a matter of interest what do you guys do with the existing head unit? I am new to both the Z and the whole Carputer thing but am interested in both (actually the Z first and then I saw this thread and have been looking at some of the puter websites).

Is the existing hole blocked out, stereo just never used?? I am slightly confused.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:45 AM
rjpaterson
Z Enthusiast

I kept my existing Head unit and connected the PC audio out to a AUX input adapter so I keep all functionality to the Head unit and I can switch to the PC whne I want to watch a DVD or listen to MP3's
Old 06-16-2005, 08:53 AM
foochdawg

I am trying to eliminate the headunit all together. I want a flush mounted screen right in the dash. Most put it in the cubby hole where the stock navi woul dbe. But to me that makes that carputer look...secondary. Then you will have to buy a headunit. And I want a screen down there, so I would probably buy the kenwood 7015. Which would make the carputer, almost worthless. But that is just me. I just want a flush mounted screen lol. And I don't want to pay $1500+ for the kenwood with navi when I can build something alot better for half that price with the ability to upgrade, have wireless, external usbs for cameras, ect. Will take a while and probably even longer to get all the quirks out so that it works fast and flawless but I think it will be worth it in the end. That and troubleshooting and repair will be a lot better on a PC. If the kenwood failed I would have to send it out for a price and have a lot of downtime. This way I can diagnose the problem and fix it for a minimal price.