Notices
Audio & Video 350Z Mobile entertainment and other electronics

Wiring install tips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 07:35 PM
Art Vandaleigh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wiring install tips?

I'm thinking about doing a basslink and amp install in the coming weeks, and would like to get some tips on how and where best to run the power/rca/speaker wires to the hatch in a somewhat clean way. Is it a pain in the *** to get the power wire through the firewall up to the battery? Any tips or links to wiring installs would be very helpful. Thanks.
Old 07-10-2005, 07:38 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the how-to sticky tacked to the top. It's got a link to how to run a cable up from the battery to the back end.

It's not that hard. My battery has a spare post waiting for an external power cable. There's room in the firewall gasket for another cable so you don't need to drill another hole.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:37 PM
Art Vandaleigh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so looks like the power wire should be ran down the passenger side, but how are you guys running all 4 speaker wires from an amp? RCA's and front wires through the center console? Are there ideal holes in the rear panels to run wire? I'd like to keep this as clean as possible, and will be mounting the amp in the hatch, behind the rear strut bar.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:59 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

Here's how I'm busy wiring my system.

Under the console is for the signal cables - three RCA cables for the front,rear, and subwoofer, another one in 75 ohm coax for the video screen, the link from the AVIC N2 to the hide-away which right now I'm planning to put under the passenger's seat. The GPS and AM/FM antenna wires will run though here too. The speed pluse wire as well. These are all low amplitude signal cables that are not going to interfere with each other.

The passenger side is where I'm running 4 gauge cable back to a distribution block for my amplifiers, and pocket mounted CD-player, and back forward from that distribution block for the AVIC N2 head end battery requirement. The reverse light detector, amplifier turn on, and parking light sensor will all go on this side too. These are all the DC signals.

At the actually subwoofer assembly I'll run the speaker wires through the rear quarter panel plastic. At this point I haven't decided on a amplifier set up or location but running the cables into the stock subwoofer location or to the under strut bar speaker cabinet isn't going to be that hard.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:15 PM
Paul350Z
Living in 350Z

If you pull up the passenger side carpet you'll find a series of white plastic cableways that you can use to run the cable through. Either pop them open using a flat blade screw driver or just snake the cable through one end and out the other. Once you get to the area behind the door you could snake upwards along where the seatbelt retracts after pulling out the aft quarter panel plastic - or like I think I'm going to do - route the cables under the luggage cubby after pulling it and the whole darn shooting match that covers the rear speakers out.

If you want to continue aft I'd snake along the open area behind the rear quarter panel trim and come out on either side of the inside arch plastic to hit your subwoofer. Buy yourself a pair of power disconnects so that if you want you can unplug the thing and take it out for safety or repairs.